Do I need the Gateway flashcard to run the Gateway menu?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ev1lbl0w, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ev1lbl0w
    OP

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Hi guys! I had this idea today when I woke up: as far as I know, I only need the red GATEWAY card to play 3DS games and to boot in gateway mode. So, can I run the GATEWAY menu by putting the Launcher.dat file onto my SD Card and using the Browser, without any flashcard? I really want to dump a cartridge so I can get the private header and prepare my ROMs to SKY3DS. Can I do this, or do I really need the flashcart?

Thanks,
    Ev1lbl0w

PS: I read somewhere that SKY3DS+ doesn't support .3dz format. Is it true?

2. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Yes you can use the Gateway menu to dump your games and use them with Sky3ds (in .3ds format only).

People has been doing this for ages now to dump games, backup sysnand and create emunand without owning a gateway cart.

3. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    Yes. But only for sysNAND firmware version 9.2 or below at the moment.

4. Ev1lbl0w
    OP

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Glad I don't need to buy anything to be able to play online ;) So, the SKY3DS only supports .3ds files. Is there any disadvantages between .3ds or .3dz, or these extensions are only used to show that the ROM was patched/modified?

5. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I don't think there is any disadvantage wether you use either format.

Since Sky+ doesn't use Diskwrtitter/template anymore I think you can simply dump your games, copy them to your Sky+ and play online without needing to rip any headers (IN YOUR OWN DUMPED GAMES OF COURSE), you could rip the header from one of those games and use it with roms you dowload online ;)

6. Ev1lbl0w
    OP

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks, but I'm planning to get a cheap offline 3DS game and inject that header to 25 ROM's I downloaded. I will be the only person playing in those ROMs, so there is no problem of getting banned, i guess?

BTW, is there any chance I brick my console for having corrupted ROMs? And also, the original cartridge where I will take the header from will still work as normal, right?

7. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Naaah you are totally safe in both instances.

8. Ev1lbl0w
    OP

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks for the great help Tony! I edited my reply above, so you probably didn't saw my other question: the original cartridge where I will take the header from will still work as normal, right?

9. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    Yes

10. Ev1lbl0w
    OP

Ev1lbl0w GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2014
    Ok thanks Tony! I don't have anymore questions now.