Hacking Do i need power for external hard drive?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ps3 can use external harddrives? :unsure:
you didnt know that a cfw ps3 could do that? All it needs to be be formatted to NTFS for multiman to read from it.

needing the external hard drive for multiman to put games on it
That depends on what external drive you get/ I use my 1TB 2.5 external with just the USB 3.0 cable just fine.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend getting atleast a 3TB external unless you're super picky in games b/c they are big in file size and will eat up a 1TB quick.
Its Black Friday afterall now is a good time to get one from NewEgg

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you didnt know that a cfw ps3 could do that? All it needs to be be formatted to NTFS for multiman to read from it.

That depends on what external drive you get/ I use my 1TB 2.5 external with just the USB 3.0 cable just fine.
Can the drive have two partitions, one of them being NTFS? I'd hate to go out and buy a new hard drive if I didn't need to.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

I have it formatted to NTSF but its not reading it. Im using a thumb drive to try to install ps2 iso's bigger than 4 gb.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I read older thread on the other forum, it said the USB 3.0 software on the hard drive may conflict with PS3 USB 2.0 only driver. The fix is to buy USB 2.0 hub as middle man to connect PS3 and the HDD. This way it forces the USB 2.0 mode on the HDD.
Use a powered USB HDD unless you want to burn out the USB port in your ps3

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Mine is 4tb so it can atleast do that
How do you partition your HDD? 1 partition or 2 x 2tb max. NTFS right?

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So I read older thread on the other forum, it said the USB 3.0 software on the hard drive may conflict with PS3 USB 2.0 only driver. The fix is to buy USB 2.0 hub as middle man to connect PS3 and the HDD. This way it forces the USB 2.0 mode on the HDD.

How do you partition your HDD? 1 partition or 2 x 2tb max. NTFS right?
yeah but mine is still used the old way. Back in the day you could only use FAT32 and since my 4tb is completely full i never changed it to NTFS.
I used 1 4tb fat32 partition wich was a bitch to do.

Last edited by kumikochan,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'll get an error if the drive is drawing too much power. in this case, it could damage the drive.
Not necessarily. Sony bigger console is built to support portable drive.

OP. Try to find a USB 2.0 hub and use it to connect between the PS3 and the HDD. Already explain PS3 uses USB 2.0 driver. At times PS3 failed to trigger the HDD 2.0 mode on HDD

Last edited by tivu100,

DieHardjagged

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, if i understood everything correct, it would be the best option to just Fat32 the external which can be up to 4TB or even more (which supposedly works) while also using a seperate power supply, so that the PS3 usb port doesnt burn out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse