Do I need 11.4+ update to install/play upcoming games and homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DannyGMaster, Jul 14, 2017.

1. DannyGMaster
    OP

DannyGMaster Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Cuba
    So I'm in 11.1.0.34 right now, and just upgraded from alh9 to b9s succesfully, got GodMode9, HG9 and Decrypt9 again, and I've read it's safe to update the system via wifi and everything, but, do I really need it? Software update from what I've heard is a slow and battery consuming process and I don't really want to do it unless I need it to play some future game / homebrew or has some critical feature I'll need. What would this update add to my old 3ds that I don't already have?

Last edited by DannyGMaster, Jul 14, 2017
  2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Nothing special for the average user, really. Homebrew isn't tied to a system version, but the latest games are.

3. DannyGMaster
    OP

DannyGMaster Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Cuba
    Ah, okay then, thanks.

4. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    I've done everything just like you, O3DS XL on 11.2 version, Luma 8, B9S 1.2 and I'm not willing to update soon, I'm waiting for everything to get stable.

5. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    I'm still running 11.2. I'm not updating, mainly for three reasons:
    • I can still run CTR-HTTPWN, which allows me to play online regardless of being on an older system version. If you update to the latest version, CTR-HTTPWN doesn't work anymore. Then, if they create another update that does something you don't want (like phones home to Nintendo regarding illegitimate titles) you're forced to update to that latest version if you still want to play online.
    • After the recent banwave, with all the speculation about how Nintendo figured out which 3DSs to ban, I'm sure they may have picked up some new ideas. If Nintendo releases an update that implements one of those new ideas, they will probably keep a "pending ban list" if they haven't been already (pretty sure they have), and I don't want to end up on that list.
    • There's literally NO reason to. The last USEFUL update (i.e. not "Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience") was over two years ago! There's no point in updating when the only changes they've made are to patch exploits and possibly help them determine which systems to ban.

6. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    I partly understand your reasonings, but what is keeping you from updating? I'm on 11.5 on my primary n3ds and everything works perfectly fine. Hbl loads, ntr works great, streaming is fine, online works, input redirection works fine, and everything else is perfect. The only reason I could see for staying on 11.1 is being able to load external NATIVE FIRMs, but nowadays there's so reason to change the nfirm due to high compatibility with all Homebrew.

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    @RHOPKINS13, that's a rather paranoid mindset. I highly doubt that updating puts a target on the user, especially since only a minority were banned all things considered. If anything, it'd make more sense for ctr-httpwn to trigger something provided Nintendo could see you were somehow playing online with a lower firmware.

Joel16, jupitteer and Quantumcat like this.
  8. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Because by being able to use CTR-HTTPWN I can resist updating to play online should Nintendo release an update I really don't want.

After how many people were banned in that last ban wave, I don't think I'm being over paranoid at all. And I think just about everybody that got banned was 11.0+. I haven't heard of anybody being banned using CTR-HTTPWN yet, so I'm sticking with that.

Regardless, there's still literally nothing gained by updating, except for perhaps playing online without having to launch ctr-httpwn first...

9. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
  10. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    People are banned if they run an invalid title id, regardless of firmware.

11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The one thing you can do to avoid being banned, is to not run any homebrew as CIAs while online. Run everything through HBL using *hax, or use Rosalina and set your homebrew title to a legit one, so when you launch homebrew, it shows a legit title instead of homebrew.
    While you are offline, nothing you do is sent to Nintendo, even if you go online afterwards. Your Activity Log is not sent to Nintendo, and your past history is not sent to Nintendo. Your favorite title or currently playing title is sent to Nintendo however, so as long as your favorite title is not an unofficial one, and you only run homebrew through Rosalina (with the homebrew channel set to a legit one, so it shows up as legit, or you run it through *hax), you have nothing to worry about as there is no information they could use to ban you.
    However when you are online, your current title is sent to the server and saved forever.

But for what it's worth, I have had FBI as my favorite title in the friend list for a long time, and I haven't cared at all about what I run while online, and I'm still not banned.
    Sure, there's no way to tell if I'll get banned all of a sudden, but so far it's looking good.
    I don't think they are going to ban everyone that's ever used homebrew. It seems to be more complicated than that.

Tokiwa, Quantumcat and godreborn like this.
  12. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    I've done the same things and haven't gotten banned either, but i've already been banned from the sun and moon ban. Thus, i'm only partially banned, meaning i cannot create or link an nnid. This im pretty sure makes me immune to being banned. I think using rosalina just in case is a good idea, but yes people are making it a much bigger deal than it is.

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    very informative. I've been afraid to check if I'm banned. I've not used homebrew while connected to Nintendo's servers nor have I played online. I don't play the system very often, but I do keep it up-to-date. for fbi, I'm using the health and safety tile instead of the updated fbi. the fbi version on my old 3ds is ancient, so much so that it looks like a command line window. lol

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    But as long as you take care not to use homebrew CIAs online, there's no chance you'll be banned.

Giodude and godreborn like this.
  15. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I've been connected to Wi-Fi ever since the new wave rolled out. I've played online, exclusively used CIAs for homebrew, and have had Spotpass on. Yet, I've still not been banned. This leads me to believe that every theory about use of homebrew is pure conjecture, and that the ban actually comes from online service abuse (whether it be cheating, piracy, or something else). It makes no sense for Nintendo to cherry pick homebrew users to ban when they could just blanket ban them all.

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    There are plenty of reports of people being banned who never played online let alone cheated. And plenty from people who played online and did not cheat.

17. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    The whole idea of "if I update, I run the risk of getting banned," paranoia really needs to stop. It doesn't matter what OFW you are running, you still have the same risk of getting banned if you are careless.

So a few things to address. Nintendo can not make an update like that and would actually be illegal for them to take information from you without your consent. This is why Nintendo requires the user to agree to send information through Spotpass. If Nintendo were to make an update to Spotpass, they have to have the user agree to that feature.

With the recent ban wave, you would still be on the list regardless of your OFW. They banned users with lower OFW as well, so that argument is out.

Considering Nintendo has added a NATIVE_FIRM requirement to games before, there's no saying they won't again. Nintendo is a one trick pony, who rarely deviates from a working path. They could also do the same thing like they did with Ever Oasis and update the encryption method for the game. There has been reasons to update in the past and there could be reasons to update in the future. There's also the whole, being able to go online without hoops, that's a plus.

If you are already on 11.4, there's no reason not to update. 11.5 didn't add anything really new, but you lose absolutely nothing.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jul 15, 2017
    Giodude likes this.
  18. yummycake

yummycake Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Probably next year or so. I can play Hey! Pikimn with my 11.3 n3DS LL. This game came out like a day or two ago in Japan. (unless that's Luma's doing.)
    I wonder if 11.2 and below still qualifies once it reaches overseas. :wtf:

19. Giodude

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    OFW (Original FirmWare) as in like no cfw. You bring up an excellent point I just wanted to point that out.

20. DannyGMaster
    OP

DannyGMaster Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    Cuba
    I ended up updating successfully after all, I don't really play online that much and Rosalina seems to have covered what I used homebrew for in the first place (hans, for screenshots, and some other stuff). TY for all your answers:D