Hardware Do I *have* to fully charge my 3DS after purchasing it?

xxteargodxx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm buying a Flame Red 3DS on Friday and will be at Nintendo World Store for a few hours with my friends so it'll be a while before I get back home to fully charge it. I might be able to charge it for a little while if I get there super early and just sit at the wall where they have an open electric outlet and charge it but I don't know.

Will it effect my battery life? Or no?

tlyee61

le dancing Tyranitar~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont belive you have to but if u want the battery to last the longest, I would, just like any electronic device that charges.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it will, not drastically but in the long run, rather than having 5 hours, you'll prob end up with 4-4 1/2 hours of gameplay before the battery dies.

(Just an example btw)

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ohmy.gif
HOW DARE YOU NOT CHARGE IT AFTER BUYING IT?!?!?! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!!

No. You don't.

obito

I can have a title?! :O
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
BloodWolfJW said:
Experts recommend that you play it out of the box until it dies, and the charge it fully (say, 3-4 hours?) before powering on again to maximize battery life
biggrin.gif

This.

Or just leave it charging out of the box until full..

But you dont have to.

tef89

Trophies
XP
Country
Lithium Ion / Polymer batteries are conditioned before they leave the factory with sevaral charge cycles already on-board so no, it's not necessary to do the initial full charge on a new device using this technology.

In the old days of NiMH it was suggested you 'over-charge' the battery for 16-24 hours (depending on the device) before first use but things have moved on now.

It's worth noting however that full discharging of a Lithium Ion / Polymer battery on a regular basis will reduce the life span of so it's best not to do this too often.

pkl2007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BloodWolfJW said:
Experts recommend that you play it out of the box until it dies, and the charge it fully (say, 3-4 hours?) before powering on again to maximize battery life
biggrin.gif

not this this would apply to nimh batteries which are usually the energizer rechargeable batteries. Lithium Ion batteries should actually be charged regularly.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
tef89 said:
Lithium Ion / Polymer batteries are conditioned before they leave the factory with sevaral charge cycles already on-board so no, it's not necessary to do the initial full charge on a new device using this technology.

In the old days of NiMH it was suggested you 'over-charge' the battery for 16-24 hours (depending on the device) before first use but things have moved on now.

It's worth noting however that full discharging of a Lithium Ion / Polymer battery on a regular basis will reduce the life span of so it's best not to do this too often.

This.

Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries unlike NiCad or NiMH do not require full charges because they don't suffer from the memory effect or other issues found with NiCAD and NiMH. They can also be left for years (they drain less than 1% per month) whilst the others drain themselves in a few months.

In the old days when you didn't charge them completely the NiCAD/MH would become lazy and only use that part of the battery which it was actively using (hence why you needed to fully discharge and recharge). It was to avoid the battery from only using only a certain percentage of it's battery. Another reason you had to charge them to full was that NiCAD and MH were slow starters. You had to charge them atleast 5/6 times fully before they could give you it's full power. With Lithium this is a thing of the past.

Also, lithium does not provide you with less power when the battery is almost drained. When it's empty it just shuts down completely where NiCAD/MH would slowly burn out (check out drills, they would really slow down when they were at a low battery level instead of working on full power).

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
another quick question bout the battery (figured it didnt deserve its own thread) if i play with the charger plugged in, and battery fully charged. does this affect the battery? someone should make a sticky with how to best maintain your 3ds battery xD

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dimmidice said:
another quick question bout the battery (figured it didnt deserve its own thread) if i play with the charger plugged in, and battery fully charged. does this affect the battery? someone should make a sticky with how to best maintain your 3ds battery xD
that shouldn't affect it negatively as you'll have to recharge it fewer times if you play it on the charger, just remember you aren't supposed to play it till fully discharged put it on the plug as soon as the needs charge light comes on or even sooner.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dimmidice said:

No it won't. Simply because the CPU (the Cell Protection Unit) stops the charger from overcharging. When full it will do nothing when plugged in untill taken out and back in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou