Hacking DO I always have to boot my cfw to run a cia?

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But that's easy. Just don't. That's what emuNAND is for. :D
I realize this, but if somebody who didn't know the significance of being on FW ver. 9.2.0-20 got a hold of the device and used it "normally" then you would ether have to re-downgrade or (at least in the past) be locked out of CFWs and emuNANDs entirely.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize this, but if somebody who didn't know the significance of being on FW ver. 9.2.0-20 got a hold of the device and used it "normally" then you would ether have to re-downgrade or (at least in the past) be locked out of CFWs and emuNANDs entirely.
That's why my menuhax is set to button type2 with the start button selected. So it'll always boot to emuNAND, even if they're pressing buttons. Except the start button of course. But who holds those when turning on the 3DS? More-so on n3DS. Lol. :P

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's why my menuhax is set to button type2 with the start button selected. So it'll always boot to emuNAND, even if they're pressing buttons. Except the start button of course. But who holds those when turning on the 3DS? More-so on n3DS. Lol. :P
I wouldn't rely on such simple "protection" like that if I were you...

Reactions: astronautlevel

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
For menuhax peasants, that is.
With A9LH you can update your sysnand. :)
No need to waste space on your SD card.
Dammit Margen67. You know how I feel about you calling people peasants. Stahp it.

Uziskull

Picture may not be real
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't get all this commotion around installing or not installing A9LH.
It's simple. You pick a goal (for example, CFW), and you pick a way to the goal. You wanna use A9LH? Nice. You don't? That's fine either way.
I have two 3DS, one with 9.2 sysNAND + rxTools emuNAND, and another one with A9LH. And honestly, both load games, and that's all I need from them.

There's plenty of options to pick from. You just gotta check if the option you picked is enough for what you want (check pros/cons, but check them against your needs).

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Let's think on this with a goal driven method, running CFW for Warez.
AL9H - Doing a downgrade is mandatory, modifying sysNAND contents is mandatory on N3DS, AFAIK even if you follow all instructions, it may brick your console even if you follow the guides to the letter, so doing a NAND reader/writer mod before is actually recommended. The end result difference for now is 100% boot rates and you can choose to stop using emuNAND.
Menuhax - No need to mess with your sysNAND if you are already in a compatible sysNAND version so downgrading isn't mandatory, it may brick if you're going to need a downgrade, but you don't need to modify the sysNAND dump for N3DS so it a bit less risky. The pros are less chances to brick, cons are some boot fails (depending on your setup a lot of failings) and you need to setup a emunand, that will eat some space from your SD and to run DSi and GBA games you'll have to install them twice at the same card (but actually only GBAgames will eat more space, since DSi games will be written to emunand partition).

So until I get a NAND mod done to my N3DS it'll be a menuhax peasant equipment.
EDIT: Pro tip to using menuhax, try removing the clutter on SD root, leave only the necessary files for you setup.

Last edited by Tomy Sakazaki,

SkyChotik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was taking it uber slow installing a9lh, and I even swapped SD cards in the middle of the whole process. (I think it took me ~12h in total including downloads and double checking the guide/sha256sum checks)
But I don't regret even a second of it. A9LH+Cakes just feels so.. right.

D

Deleted User

lesshax is just recompiled hax 2.1 without debug screens.

Then the dev put the builds behind adf.ly for some reason.
Lucky for them- ihaveamac made 2.7 payloads that are just the same but not decreasing ability to use normal homebrew

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's just that Chinese 3DSes can't downgrade to the necessary firmware to obtain the otp.bin file (2.1.0-4U/E/J) because the first ones shipped with a variate of the fourth firmware version.
you could probably perform a region swap on a chinese console to E/U/J and then proceed to downgrade as normal

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ultimately a9lh is riskier, but more rewarding.

You get to clear a lot of space taken by emunand, you don't have to rely on homebrew to boot cfw, you get 100% boot rate and at a fast speed too, full protection against updates, having all your stuff on sysnand and I'm sure I'm missing a few here.

Menuhax is much safer, but it can freeze, thus wasting time rebooting even if made to autoboot, you need to use emunand to prevent updates, and you can accidentally update your sysnand anyway, plus taking up a lot of space on your sd card.

Honestly, and while I consider menuhax to be a completely viable option, a9lh is looking to be the natural evolution to 3ds cfw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...