• Total voters

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i think graphics matter a lot. However gameplay should come first. some people dont think the same way but think about it would you buy a console with brillaint gameplay but with snes graphics these days i dont think so .

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anybody who says no is a liar. If Final Fantasy looked like Pong would you still buy it? Does the fact that the PSP has better graphics over the DS matter? No. Does the fact that the PS360 has better graphics over the Wii matter? No but do I want my games look like they were developed in the 70's/early 80's? Of course not.

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anybody who says no is a liar. If Final Fantasy looked like Pong would you still buy it? Does the fact that the PSP has better graphics over the DS matter? No. Does the fact that the PS360 has better graphics over the Wii matter? No. Do I want my game look like they were developed in the 70's/early 80's? Hell No!
exactly what i was thinking people lie when they say they dont care about graphics.

D

Deleted User

Of course I care about graphics. This almost sounds like a "Do appearances matter?" type question ... relating to relationships 'n dating.

Graphics and gameplay ... it's not one or the other that makes a great game. It's both of them ... and more, such as sound & replay value. Now, it's just a matter of opinion of which outweighs the other. In my opinion, gameplay is more of a deciding factor by far. If there was a game that sported the most amazing cutting edge graphics, yet was just plain boring and frustrating to play ... I probably wouldn't go near it. But if there was a game that was absolutely fun to play but had crappy dated graphics ... I'd still give it a chance, just cuz it's fun albeit hard on the eyes.

It's really the entire package that makes a great game. But if it isn't fun, I don't see any point of playing it just for the sake of eye candy.

I'll never ever get sick of playing multiplayer Bomberman. I don't need any antialiasing, reflections, bump/texture mapping, lighting effects, or any of that sort for me to have a blast with a few buddies.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i think you should have changed the wording to the question. Despite what you're saying anyone would be mad to answer no to the poll

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fact it is 1 in the morning means coherency is probably to be AWOL but here goes:

I have played some otherwise well balanced FPS titles (decent weapons, decent level design in terms of potential for tactics) but as the graphics cut out for mid range combat the game was all but ruined. Graphics are necessary.

Equally I have played glorified tech demos (I will avoid names right now as I can not be bothered to deal with ruffled feathers). Graphics are nice but I need gameplay not a button to watch a film.

I think the best example for this sort of thing would have to be the GTA 3 line, the shooting mechanics: Wolf3d probably had better, driving: I could probably give reason to why a Kart game I had for my 486 was so much better, graphics: lens flare perhaps but still nothing special, audio: some decent tracks but otherwise nothign special, time I wasted playing it: lets just say my kidneys may not have forgiven me yet and it has been several years since vice city.

An aside, despite having a computer capable of more I tend to lower graphics settings as well, normally no anti aliasing (maybe 2x if I am curious) and no fancy shadows/lighting and a sensible resolution.

What Nestea80 said about bomberman is right on as well, to this day my friends and I still have a blast on megadrive bomberman (or DS bomberman).

Summary:
Important yes, all important: as I am not 14 (apologies to sensible 14 year olds) no.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
brillaint gameplay but with snes graphics these days i dont think so .
I think to have brilliant gameplay you need graphics to a certain capacity. Take the wii, if Nintendo had made a Wii-mote for the SNES, it just wouldn't have worked, you need a true 3D environment. I think it all really depends on what the game's main focus is: either a theatrical presentation to really "throw you in the game" by visuals, or through enhanced interactivity to place you in the game.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it depends... (ambiguous answer, i know
biggrin.gif
) but look at Sudoku for example.. People [are] addicted to it, and its graphics are as simple as Tic-Tac toe! Is it a wonder that the DS, a "inferior" system in comparison to the PSP (well it is inferior raw power wise) is selling Several times more units? People Like fun.

But hey, thats my opinion
biggrin.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes graphics do matter. But only to a certain degree. When we get to the point where Solid Snake's moustache grows in real time, and you can still see crumbs in it from the corn flakes he had for breakfast... That's just too much.

Rather than improving the bump mapping on that stain on the toilet seat, developers should spend more time improving gameplay ideas and mechanics, with things like physics and weather etc.. That's why Half-Life 2 is one of my all time favourite games. The graphics were incredibly impressive yes, but the gameplay, story and interactivity are what made the game for me.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Of course not, didn't you realize that racing games started with only TWO lines?!

A game is essentially a game, a game without gameplay is life without a soul!

And actually snes graphics is still quite acceptable, it's only a matter of resolution

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Lol, ugliness is subjective to time and technology..
even now I don't mind playing some of my old 256 color dos games.

If the gameplay is great but the graphics is just plain, some pple will still play. But I doubt pple will be playing certain games simply because they can watch hair grow, and nothing else.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Yes graphics do matter. But only to a certain degree. When we get to the point where Solid Snake's moustache grows in real time, and you can still see crumbs in it from the corn flakes he had for breakfast... That's just too much.

Rather than improving the bump mapping on that stain on the toilet seat, developers should spend more time improving gameplay ideas and mechanics, with things like physics and weather etc.. That's why Half-Life 2 is one of my all time favourite games. The graphics were incredibly impressive yes, but the gameplay, story and interactivity are what made the game for me.

guess what.. physics add alot to the graphics. motion can be added to the graphics group too. but yeah, graphics definatly matters, no matter how you look at it. http://www.naturalmotion.com/ shows what todays physics can do with character animation. even tho the models are quite ugly the motion is REALLY nice which in the end makes beautiful graphics because it's so natural and nice.

as a game programmer I say programmable shaders are the future of visual goodness. the wii lacks this, which is a BIG letdown for any developer who wants to make a visually nice game such as for example: Lair. No matter if we cut down the polygon count to 6 per character in the whole game the wii won't be able to show of these visual effect. It simply doesn't have enough computation power. even if you would try to work around to create ur own support for shaders.. it would cost ALOT of development time to add the visual effects on the wii which simply no developer wants to add for something which already is free (or cost very little development time) on other platforms.

but yeah in for example text based games you want a really nice and readable font. so graphics here again matters.
smile.gif
a really nice and comfortable font makes the game much more appealing.

most important things is solid camera, control and motion in games where you control a character. (other than the gameplay which makes the game a certain genre)

we deal with cheating when we develop games... our motto: if it looks good, it is good

anyways, enough rant.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS3 boasts nice graphics. So do custom PC's which have the added bonus of upgradeable hardware. Sony/PS3 may warm up to the homebrew scene live Xbox live. PC's are already made for this. Sony is losing exclusives, Sony wants to have proprietary industry standards for everything they deal with, Sony's programming platform is said to be inordinately more difficult than most others. Sony left rumble out of their controllers (claiming it wouldn't work with wireless motion sensing - bs). All they can claim to do better is graphics, cell processing and blu-ray (which may fail). Get an Alienware if you want movie-quality HD graphics.

That being said, Wii's innovative controls and price point are proving to be the winner for this round of next gen's. And yes, it's more important than running 720 or 1080 HD.

imyourxpan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion it matters sometimes because certain games don't need a lot to be addictive and very fun. Ex. Sudoku on Brain Age. I do agree that with the Wii and FPS the player is to feel like he is in the game and have that 3D space and it could be somewhat done like Doom. I don't think you can really compare SNES and the Wii now because times have changed it's rare to see a 2D game(besides the Metal Slug Anthology Game) on the Wii/360/PS3.

Where games certainly need working graphics if the engine isn't smooth. I don't think the engine is well done if you feel sick after playing for a bit of time. I was playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and the graphics are good, but far from where we are right now. The game is amazing though, story and gameplay, by far better than some games being released.

Beautiful games might sell, but the ones with better gameplay and storylines will succeed.

(If the game is just down right hideous and hard to even look at, it could ruin the game. I don't think there is a real answer to that question, it's too vague.)

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Graphics as in visual material do indeed matter. That also includes art and art style.

Depending on the game, graphics do not have to be really detailed and life like. Some games do benefit from it though such as first person shooters. Others usually create atmosphere with the artistic style rather than super crisp graphics.

But all in all, yes graphics are very important!

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I would pay $50 for Castlevania with SNES graphic if it does have brillian gameplay. Last time I checked , dawn of sorrow didn't have too many things that the SNES couldn't do, however, I did not say graphics don't matter.
smile.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. I don't need the latest, greatest and most realistic looking graphics, I'll happily play most stuff made during or after the PSX generation (admittedly FFVII is showing its age). But I'm unlikely to play a "retro" game unless I grew up with it (nostalgia) or it looks like Yoshis Island, which looks f'ing amazing for a 2D SNES platformer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: