Do any cellphones have the capability to wake up by having the user look at the front camera?

jimmyleen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo has made it where the switch automatically goes to sleep when the user looks away from the screen. So why are cellphone company's not implementing the same feature in the newer cellphones?

EDIT: cellphones and tablets use facial recognition which can take longer to unlock or wake up the devices.

EDIT 2: I know the switch does not have cameras, it uses sensors to detect a persons face.

Last edited by jimmyleen,

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm pretty sure constant face detection would drain your battery too fast, it's an intensive processing operation if you want any accuracy, so I don't think it can't be done in low power mode.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure constant face detection would drain your battery too fast, it's an intensive processing operation if you want any accuracy, so I don't think it can't be done in low power mode.
The only way I see this not draining the battery in an hour would be having the proximity sensor always running, and when that detects movement, the front camera would turn on and look for a face. Would probably still use a ton of battery though.

jimmyleen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
One of the lg phones has a feature where if your eyes arnt looking at it after a while it goes to sleep.

The newer lg phones do that but again we can't wake up the phones just by staring at the camera. We have to enter our security pin and than scan our faces.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The only way I see this not draining the battery in an hour would be having the proximity sensor always running, and when that detects movement, the front camera would turn on and look for a face. Would probably still use a ton of battery though.

Might be why the switch only uses sensors to detect a persons face?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the camera is the most battery using part of the phone even moreso than the screen it would actually be more efficient just to never put the phone to sleep at that point.

jimmyleen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
the camera is the most battery using part of the phone even moreso than the screen it would actually be more efficient just to never put the phone to sleep at that point.

Okay than why not use a pressure sensor? Lets say when a person picks up the phone it would automatically wake up when you pick it up or when you squeeze it.

EDIT: like one of those annoying toys that makes noise when you squeeze it hard enough.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay than why not use a pressure sensor? Lets say when a person picks up the phone it would automatically wake up when you pick it up or when you squeeze it.

EDIT: like one of those annoying toys that makes noise when you squeeze it hard enough.
there are plenty of phones that wake up when you pick them up

jimmyleen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: CyberTails

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One of the lg phones has a feature where if your eyes arnt looking at it after a while it goes to sleep.
Samsung was first iirc in the S3 days, how it works without being a ridiculous waste of power is turning the camera on 5 seconds before the timeout, clearly this trick can't be done this way in the opposite direction...

Proximity sensor, accelerometer, touchscreen events may be more realistic options depending on which kernel builds you're using... they may or may not be power hogs depending on whether there's a hardware implementation of them

jimmyleen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Samsung was first iirc in the S3 days, how it works without being a ridiculous waste of power is turning the camera on 5 seconds before the timeout, clearly this trick can't be done this way in the opposite direction...

Proximity sensor, accelerometer, touchscreen events may be more realistic options depending on which kernel builds you're using... they may or may not be power hogs depending on whether there's a hardware implementation of them

If all the engineers do is create more powerful hardware and don't bother creating a more efficient battery than its their own fault for not thinking smart. Making the battery tech future proof should be top priority and creating powerful hardware should come second no matter what.

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
Alternatively it could be a feature only available when plugged in. Not much of an excuse to not have your phone plugged in while sleeping.

D

Deleted User

Android 4.0 had a face recognization lock screen where it would scan your face to unlock your phone/tablet.
It was wanky as hell, and it wasn't even used so it was removed in 5.1 I believe?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If all the engineers do is create more powerful hardware and don't bother creating a more efficient battery than its their own fault for not thinking smart. Making the battery tech future proof should be top priority and creating powerful hardware should come second no matter what.
Yeah because everyone will shove 10,000mAh battery to every phone out there, increasing it's value by 50%

jimmyleen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah because everyone will shove 10,000mAh battery to every phone out there, increasing it's value by 50%

Battery advancements are made every year to make them smaller and more compact, the problem is investors think there are no profits in owning company's that create battery's (minus the exception of Samsung).

D

Deleted User

Battery advancements are made every year to make them smaller and more compact, the problem is investors think there are no profits in owning company's that create battery's (minus the exception of Samsung).
It's the matter of system and alterations made to it. If you made heavily modified Android (Look at eUI) and you shove in weak battery, then be ready for it to die in 15 minutes.
Nowadays, phones have more advanced battery's than ex. phones from 2009. It's not matter of how much capacity x battery has but if it will hold x device components pressure. (Aka. Power whole device without doing surge strike or giving insufficient energy) If battery is bad, it can even explode.

So better be safe than sorry. I'd rather have a very good 3,050mAh battery which doesn't die from overcharge rather than a very bad 10,050mAh battery which dies after 7 months of usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol