Do all slot 2 devices have save states?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Pedro UK, Mar 19, 2007.

Mar 19, 2007
  1. Pedro UK
    OP

Member Pedro UK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hiya! I am the proud owner of an R4 and I am loving it for DS and newer homebrew games and apps. However, I am thinking about buying a slot 2 device for my GBA and older homebrew stuff. One feature that is really important to me is a save state capability for commercial GBA games - I don't want to write passwords for Duke Nukem or Ecks Vs Sever anymore! I've read a few reviews here and there and some have mentioned save states for certain cards and others haven't mention this so I'm not too sure which way to go...

So, my question is this: Do all slot 2 cards have a save state feature for GBA games? Thanks, P [​IMG]

2. -EX-

Banned -EX- Racer

Japan
    Only SC has them, iirc.

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The G6 lite has save states for GBA games, and I believe the M3 does as well.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you are coming from an emulator do not expect much, simple things like pausing the game help as well.

The other fun thing will come with picking models within lines capable of doing it. As it stands:
    SC line (not renowned for GBA compat so be careful)
    M3
    G6
    The EZ3 does as well, the EZ4 does not however.

5. Pedro UK
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hmm, so the EZ V 3in1 doesn't either I take it? I thought the SC had a good rep when it came to GBA games - maybe I have got muddled up with commercial and GBA HB stuff. I think I might go for an M3 solution so that I can use my micro SD card. I was thinking of getting the 3in1 as it has some compatibility with my R4 now but I won't if it doesn't support save states... [​IMG]

6. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    SC gba compatibility list, most other cards hover in the high 90% range and it is a genuine surprise if a new rom can not be made to work with relative ease:
    http://rothmans.joskeonline.com/supercardsite/

The m3 would be a good choice if you want GBA although you will want a new memory card (GBA stuff is copied to another memory section for modern cards so you can get away with cheap memory card), as for the 3 in 1 it is still early days and the potential is there.

7. Pedro UK
    OP

United Kingdom
    I think I'll probbably get an M3 Lite then. I've got a couple of Micro SD cards on order (Kingston Japanese) for my R4 so I can just use one of them with the M3.

OT: Why does the 3in1 need the EZ V slot 1 card to work? Can it be not be used as a GBA style cart on a DS as is? I know it won't fit a GBA! The reason I'm asking is that I really wouldn't mind the RAM expansion and rumble facilities for my DS. At the mo I have to change my rumble to my expansion and vice versa. It would just be nice to be able to leave the one card in my machine! [​IMG]

8. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you can use the 3in1 in any slot 1 device but rumble does not work, but it can run gba and opera ram, and supercard has slow down on gba games like street fighter, and the M3 is a great gba slot 2, just make sure you get the right one, some of them are limited.

9. Pedro UK
    OP

United Kingdom
    ^
    When you say some of the M3s are limited what do you mean?

PS: Is it true that the 3in1 can only hold one GBA game at a time?

Sorry for all the questions it's just that when I bought my EZFAs a couple of years ago I read everything and everybody said they were great but the software just wouldn't work for and it's gathered dust since I bought it! I'm trying to cover all bases now! [​IMG]

10. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most of the big GBA slot cards came out with a reduced price variant with no/minimal GBA support (I believe the SC rumble, M3 perfect and EZ4 Lite compact are the ones but do not quote me on the first two).

As for the 3 in 1 I believe that is currently the case although as I said development is moving very quickly and it is a priority it seems.

11. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The M3 Perfect is the good (expensive) one, it's the M3 Professional that's cheap & doesn't have good GBA support. You are correct about the SC Rumble and the EZ-IV Compact.