Hacking Do all NDS trimmers save same amount of space?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
No.

The best trimmers will trim to the exact necessary size, whilst keeping the wifi block intact, and further trim those which don't have a wifi block too.

Most older trimmers don't do this.

Some trimmers leave a bit of unnecessary space to make sure there is no problem, rather than doing advanced detection.

But generally, the chances are that between recent trimmers there won't be much discrepancy between trims. at most a megabyte (?).

NDStokyotrim is my favourite, but its girls bravo (anime) background is too controversial for some.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No.

The best trimmers will trim to the exact necessary size, whilst keeping the wifi block intact, and further trim those which don't have a wifi block too.

Most older trimmers don't do this.

Some trimmers leave a bit of unnecessary space to make sure there is no problem, rather than doing advanced detection.

But generally, the chances are that between recent trimmers there won't be much discrepancy between trims. at most a megabyte (?).

Yeah, what he said.

Some Trimmers over trim, which kills Download Play/Wi-Fi

Some undertrim, which saves less space than it should.

And NDSTokyoTrim trims just about perfect.
tongue.gif

~Nero

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i'm using brian's trimmer for a long time and i wondered if i can use a more advanced trimmer to trim more, if possible, since my cart is 512mg and games are getting bigger and bigger (and maybe that trimmer has builtin GBA trimming too).

thnx for all answers.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'm using brian's trimmer for a long time and i wondered if i can use a more advanced trimmer to trim more, if possible, since my cart is 512mg and games are getting bigger and bigger (and maybe that trimmer has builtin GBA trimming too).

thnx for all answers.

Trim more ROMs or Trim more MBs?

~Nero

sirAnger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trimmers with WIFI detection trim about all that's possible while avoiding corruption. Brian's trimmer is one such trimmer. You will not find a trimmer that trims more than his without corrupting the ROM.

There really isn't any variability involved in trimming. The size of the trimmable data is pretty much hard-coded into the ROM.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Also, I'm not sure if I understood right, but if I did... No, I'm pretty sure there's no GBA AND NDS trimmer. (Like both in one program). I use NDSTokyoTrim and Gbata separately. The only bad thing about Gbata is that you have to do 'em one by one. >_______>

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
Also, I'm not sure if I understood right, but if I did... No, I'm pretty sure there's no GBA AND NDS trimmer. (Like both in one program). I use NDSTokyoTrim and Gbata separately. The only bad thing about Gbata is that you have to do 'em one by one. >_______>

My last version also trims GBA roms, apparently more than gbata (according to feedback). It's not througly tested though, but I haven't heard of any problems with it yet. (I can't test it myself, it was mostly theorical coding and feedback from testers)

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

My last version also trims GBA roms, apparently more than gbata (according to feedback). It's not througly tested though, but I haven't heard of any problems with it yet. (I can't test it myself, it was mostly theorical coding and feedback from testers)

Beat me to it, Brian..

There isn't a way to trim more data than it should. Or else the ROM will go bad. All the trimmer does is get rid of the "empty" space in DS Roms.

~Nero

Sizzlechest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if utilities like CLRMAME PRO could be used to trim roms (assuming someone makes a DAT file for all the trimmed versions).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended