Hacking Do all DS Lites have bad dpads?

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My DS Lite dpad is very mushy and it's hard to go diagonally in most directions. I used to have a phat DS, and the dpad was much better.

Are all Lites like that? Mine is pretty old, so I wonder if new Lites are better?

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It shouldn't be hard to go in any direction...

If you have to push quite hard, and there is no popping feeling when you push it at all, then it is possible that the conductive pads underneath the D-Pad are degraded/broken.

To replace them you will need to open up your DS, and swap them with new ones (can be bought from dealextreme.com)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My DS Lite has a bad R button, but if you blow in it, it works again.
Overall, I've had my DS Lite for 2 years now, and nothing is really broken, so I can't really complain
smile.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ItsMetaKnight said:
yes they do all have bad ones
but the dsi one is great!
And so was the DS Lite one when you bought it.
Just cause it looks worse and costs more and you don't want to critisize your decision to buy a piece of shovelware shit.
Its the fact that the DS i isn't as old as your lite.

Also just to say that the D-pads and conductive pads are the exact same (as in the lite). People have already disected it.

Just don't push the buttons really hard. It makes no difference how hard you push, only it damages it.

Quanno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually hate the ndsl d-pad. Phat's buttons were much better imo. First my L button wasn't doing anything for 2 months,
and this is the *counting* second week my R button isn't wroking... quite bad
dry.gif

DDRPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only reason why I got my Lite was because it was slimmer and could fit in my pocket better, and that it had nicer look screen.

Yeah, my shoulder buttons are kind of not functional either, because I played too much L button press at "Item Storage" with Kanghaskhan in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh the DSi buttons and pad are MUCH better, they behave more like the phat's, nice and clicky! But not identical as they're sunk into the system more than the phat... But they're still a huge improvement over the horrible HORRIBLE Lite buttons.

One of the very few things that's actually better with the DSi
rolleyes.gif

frantier123

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yea. I tink everyone's DS Lite's dpad will turn goofy after awhile. It become more loose. But I dun really have problem moving my characters.

If u really wan a good dpad, DSi or the orginal DS shld do it. It has the orginal "click dpad" that was in GBA SP.

CoconutCake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antoligy said:
ItsMetaKnight said:
yes they do all have bad ones
but the dsi one is great!
And so was the DS Lite one when you bought it.

No. That's not true at all.

In fact my Lite's dpad was terrible from the first day. Diagonals were bad from the start.

But my old phat's dpad was perfect, and diagonals always worked. Too bad I sold it to buy my Lite, I sometimes wish I still had it for games that need reliable dpad controls.

The DSi is supposed to have a much better dpad than the Lite and that's a good thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."