do a class 10 and a uhs-3 sd make real difference on a phone

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i was trying to choose a new sd card, i could either choose 64 gb class 10, or a 32 gb uhs-3

currently i live with a old 8gb card on my phone so 64 gb is really a lot for someone who uses streaming for lots of stuff and 32 gb would be more than enough...

i want to use advantage of the marshamallow function to expand the internal memory of the phone (partition the sd card and have some raid alike setup)
and i was thinking if for best results i should use a really fast card or maybe i would experience some lag?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
UHS-3 is supposed to be faster than a class 10, however both are probably slower than your internal storage regardless.

You should probably grab the UHS-3 card, I have a class 10 128GB SDXC that I put in my Shield TV and it warned me that it might be "slow" when used with adaptable storage. Though, honestly, I haven't seen any performance dips myself.

Reactions: Sick Wario

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
As far as I have observed, day to day tasks like gaming and watching videos won't show much difference. It only comes down to when you are copying files that you shall notice the difference. Since you're aiming to expand your internal memory making use of MM's features, go for the UHS-3 card. Provided your phone can take full advantage of it.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
UHS-3 is supposed to be faster than a class 10, however both are probably slower than your internal storage regardless.

You should probably grab the UHS-3 card, I have a class 10 128GB SDXC that I put in my Shield TV and it warned me that it might be "slow" when used with adaptable storage. Though, honestly, I haven't seen any performance dips myself.
glad it warns us..
i seen in sdcard.org how UHS 3 was optimized for HD video recording and i was wondering if i will have problems because the card was too slow
but then it hitted me, the phone probably uses the ram and internal memory as buffers if that was the case..

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China

with your comment in mind and while shopping i decided to grab a UHS-3 card. (got a sandisk extreme)
putted it on my phone and formatted as internal memory, warned me the card is maybe too slow and to use a class UHS-1
which now i am confused.. the card shows speeds of 45MB read and write (used an app which in one of the tests warned me about cached results

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's possible Android just sees the MSD card is slower than your internal and throws that error up regardless (which is silly, but meh). If the app you used is accurate, you shouldn't have any problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free