Hardware DMS Drive acting amazingly strangely.

NikoK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ejected a game from my Wii today, but once the disk ejected the DVD drive continued to make the ejecting sounds and once it ended, it seems as if my dvd drive won't feed discs anymore. When I turn it off and back on, the DVD drive starts ejecting but I can put a disc in during this point :S

What's wrong lmfao.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope for your sake it is not the case but there have been a few cases of the gears messing up (teeth breaking or the gears becoming so misaligned the drive does not function which is then usually followed by the teeth breaking).

If indeed it is broken your choices are
1) Try and repair/replace the cog. I know of none for sale and making one might prove difficult if you do not know much about making plastic items.

2)Buy another drive: this is twofold.
i) A drive replacement like the flatmii (note the other drive cable chips will not work as they work by a different method)
ii) A new drive, can be quite expensive but a few places still stock them.

3) If 1) is not to your taste I did hear of someone making a top loading drive. In some respects it is probably easier than making a new cog.

NikoK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are there any guides to repairing or replacing the cog? I would love to get this working again...

Would a flatmii also fix this problem?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First it is necessary to know if it is the cog that is broken. You will have to pull apart the wii and then the drive, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98436 is a start on such things.

Guides: none that I am aware of. Most people that attempt such a thing already have fair skills in such areas and/or charge for such things. You should be able to see once you pulled apart your wii though (the cogs,rails and the like are on the outside as the laser assembly and disc tray take most of the space). Taking it apart may even release any stress and fix the problem (not likely: you will probably have to poke it first).

Flatmii is a drive emulator in that it uses the onboard hardware and your PC to trick the Wii into thinking it has a drive attached*. The other cable chips use the same method as the softmod (the 3x "DVD" mode) but without the need for wii side software to trick the drive.
Replacement drives are generally a similar price and do not have the advantages that the flatmii has.

*about this time people would usually suggest the USB loader but from what I hear some games need to have a disc (any disc) "in" the drive. Hence flatmii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.