Hacking DML refuses to load

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since I learned about DML, I've always wanted to try it out. So, after reading the tutorials on this site, I started to follow it step by step in hopes that I could get gamecube games running off my 16GB SDHC card (FAT32). Well, I used Wad Manager 1.7 and installed DML loader 1.1 from Google Code, which went without a hitch. Then I attempted to run DML Loader in the Homebrew Channel, but I got an error instead; "could not load DML.elf", which was never mentioned once in any of the tutorials here at GBATemp, making this whole getting DML thing to run a living hell.

Which tutorials are the most applicable?
Which tutorials are the most helpful?
Which tutorials are up to date?

This is pissing me off, and I won't give up until I get in the right direction.

The Wad you get from Google Code has been installed, and HBC, cMIOS, etc are all up to date.

AntiPhotonz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ever since I learned about DML, I've always wanted to try it out. So, after reading the tutorials on this site, I started to follow it step by step in hopes that I could get gamecube games running off my 16GB SDHC card (FAT32). Well, I used Wad Manager 1.7 and installed DML loader 1.1 from Google Code, which went without a hitch. Then I attempted to run DML Loader in the Homebrew Channel, but I got an error instead; "could not load DML.elf", which was never mentioned once in any of the tutorials here at GBATemp, making this whole getting DML thing to run a living hell.

Which tutorials are the most applicable?
Which tutorials are the most helpful?
Which tutorials are up to date?

This is pissing me off, and I won't give up until I get in the right direction.

The Wad you get from Google Code has been installed, and HBC, cMIOS, etc are all up to date.
Sounds like the app was trying to install DML to your NAND. That's why it would be looking for DML.elf anyway.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the app was trying to install DML to your NAND. That's why it would be looking for DML.elf anyway.
'

Ah bollocks. How can I start over and get the right files, much less in the right direction? If that isn't part of the instructions, what or where are the right ones?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Download DIOS MIOS Lite v1.3 and install using Multi-Mod Manager (IOS236).
Make sure you have BC v6, installed on your console (use SysCheck & ModMii SysCheck Wizard to update).
Download GCReEx (also, from the above link).
Use CleanRip to dump your NGC Games invidually to SD.
Rename disc image to game.iso.
Use GCReEx (GCReEx.exe -x game.iso) to extract disc image.
Copy extracted image to "sd:/games/".
Download DML Booter v1.0.1 Channel (see my signature) & install with Multi-Mod Manager (IOS236).

To restore disc image, keep extracted image with GCReEx (GCReEx.exe -c "GameID").

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My images are already converted to either .iso or .gcm format, so I don't need to use those converter programs, do I? I forgot about the whole part where I need to rename them to "game.iso". So if SSBM's title is "GALE01", I go to SD:\games\ create a folder called GALE01 and rename the ISO to just "game.iso" or "game.gcm"?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The file structure should be "sd:/games/".

When either DiscEx or GCReEx extracts the disc image (.iso), it sets the name of the extracted folder as the GameID. This needs to be copied to the games folder on the sd card.

Naugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In SD://games/GAMEID/

Files structure (e.g. Wind Waker USA "SD://games/GZLE01") :

|
+-- sys
|-
-- apploader.img
-- bi2.bin
-- boot.bin
-|
-- game.iso
-|

------

-- Is a file
+-- Is a directory
|- Files in directory
-| End of file listing

That's why you need to use DiscEX or GCReEX (apploader.img, bi2.bin and boot.bin are inside the "sys" directory)

Use this command:
GCReEx.exe -x game.iso

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
randomizer, you NEED to use those converter programs, DML will not recognize any games as .iso or .gcm so follow FIX94's steps and use the programs. your GC .iso's will be converted as a folder with the games title ID only.
Once converted, move that folder to sd/games/title ID

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I did that once I figured out how to use it. They all have been converted to the right format, with the TitleID folders and the system folders that go along with them, and are now placed on the SDHC card. Now with regards to the version I accidentally installed, (the now outdated 1.1), do I use Wad Manager 1.7 to uninstall that .wad and then install version DML 1.3 instead? Version 1.1 is the one that gave me the "couldn't load SD:\DML\DML.elf" error.

To sum up

- Convert (but not compress) Gamecube games using DiscEx (so they're in their properly structured folders)
- Copy the Game ID folders to SD:\Games\
- Place the SDHC card in the Wii's front SD slot
- Uninstall DML version 1.1 from Wad Manager (the version that asked for a nonexistent file)
- Install DML version 1.3 from Wad Manager
- Load DML Loader 1.3 and select GCN game from list

Correct?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool. Glad to hear that. Now that I have a gamecube memory card, I shouldn't have to worry about the NMN or whatever it's called.

Edit 7:05 IS there a way to stop the disc LED from flashing using CFG USB Loader?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all