YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I recently started up a gaming channel on YouTube, the first videos are horrible quality, need redoing blah blah blah that's not what I'm talking about here hahaha

Basically, for the past week I've been recording the process of painting my girlfriends Wii (With her help as the handy camera person). Below you'll find pictures of the finished product in the Spoiler tag!

It shows:
  • How to take it apart. (But remember which screws are from where!)
  • What you'll need to prepare.
  • How to mask it up properly.
  • Prepping surfaces for painting
  • The technique for applying the paint.
  • How long to wait between coats (Approximately)
  • How to put it back together!
You guys shouldn't have any problems with getting the job done, it's pretty simple stuff, just in case anyone was a bit nervous about taking it apart or using the wrong spraying techniques or anything like that.

NB: I know i never used any static protection in the video, but as long as you're careful and don't remove anything you don't see here then you'll be A-OK!
THE RED WII IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU RUSH!
DSC_0651.jpg
DSC_0652.jpg

Have fun! Like and Share if you know anyone that would be interested, would mean a lot! :)

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey thanks for the positive feedback! It definitely gives it a unique look, no one else's lines would be the same as yours! :P You can paint your own image on the side if you're good at painting (I'm not so I tend to just make a mess :P) and then do the clear coat, that way you can have ANY design you want!

EDIT: It's a Wii just so you know! I just realised you put Wii U!

also, this is a note for everyone, make sure you put the fascia on the Wii the right way up when you throw your paint at it. As you can see on ours the lines don't match up because we had it upside down when throwing the pink! hahaha A mistake I'll never make again ;)

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That'd be awesome! Any design like that shouldn't be too difficult yano, either use a stencil and spray or if you have a steady hand just freehand it on there then laquer away! Should have shown a few options in the video but decided to stick to something basic that anyone can try :)

Tips if you are actually unsure:
  • If you do end up using a stencil to add a spray design on your chosen colour, make sure you put a few layers on because the laquer will thin the spray just a bit when applied on top!
  • The pink paint we used was just wall paint, so if you're free handing it with something like that it only needs one layer because it won't thin out with laquer!
If you decide to go for it then please post results! Just heed the warning in the video, have a bit off spray practice on something you're not worried about spoiling because you'll soon get the feel of how to get the layers right. And letting it set properly is CRUCIAL! The red Wii in the spoiler tag is mine, I was so excited to get it done I was impatient and ended up making it look crap… The lines didn't match, the paint wasn't dry why i was touching it so there are finger prints… But the one in the video is absolutely perfect :)
/Essay, Hope all goes well!

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the xcm-ii chameleon Wii case mod, you may have seen it online, its a clear plastic case with LEDs on the inside which allows you to set what you want the LEDs to do (cycle through the visible spectrum slow or fast, as well as just set it to stick on one of I think 12 colors in the spectrum, you can change this at any time by pushing a tiny button in the back, it really is a fantastic little thing that I adore.

Bat420maN

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.freeforums.org
XP
Country
United States
I have no artistic talent at all, so I would have to use a stencil and spray it on.

Is there a reason why you didn't do the buttons? I would want to do those in yellow, do you think that would be an issue? I saw you said there might be a problem while not doing them. I think pink buttons on that would've been bad ass.

I found some cheap replacement cases for the Wii for around 20 bucks if your looking to fix that red one. I'll be ordering one soon so I got a back up if I do screw up. Probably wont be able to do it for a few weeks still but that will give me time to make a stencil and gather the paint I need. Thanks for the inspiration!

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I LOVED the look of those XCM-ii's when they came out! I always wanted one hahaha But it looked so complicated back when I was younger so I'd have never risked screwing up my precious Wii XD

I have no artistic talent at all, so I would have to use a stencil and spray it on.
Yep same with me, which is why I just slapped paint all over :P
Is there a reason why you didn't do the buttons? I would want to do those in yellow, do you think that would be an issue? I saw you said there might be a problem while not doing them. I think pink buttons on that would've been bad ass.
No there's no real reason to be honest, there's a small clear plastic bit on the back of the on/off button which I think can be removed, but i didn't wanna break it or my GF would have killed me :P She had doubts already after seeing mine hahaha

Other than that the main reason was because of the size of the buttons. When you apply spray you'd be adding a bit more size to the buttons with each layer so they might get jammed unless you only paint the front. In the video i scrape off some of the dry paint from the case where the buttons sit to make sure they didn't stick in when they're pressed so that's your only real issue with painting the buttons, easily doable!
I found some cheap replacement cases for the Wii for around 20 bucks if your looking to fix that red one. I'll be ordering one soon so I got a back up if I do screw up. Probably wont be able to do it for a few weeks still but that will give me time to make a stencil and gather the paint I need. Thanks for the inspiration!
I'm not too fussed about my Wii if i'm honest, it's way outdated, still works and I only did it that colour to match the interior of my old car when i had it in there! hahaha but that car is long gone now, and I have a Wii U too which means the Wii is rarely seen! Thanks though man :)

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
very nice! wish i had seen this prior to christmas. i tried to paint a Wii for my nieces and I failed miserably lol. had to buy a new housing off ebay.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback! Was hoping to get this video done wayyyy before christmas but it never happpened so sorry about that VashTS! hahaha At that point I was working but now I'm not unfortunately... So I've had alot of time to try and create content for people online. It's something that i've always wanted to do but never had time so hopefully it kicks off! :)

nando, Try it out for yourself! But be sure to get the spray practice in first, it's essential :P

whatupdog, I agree, stencils would give it an even better look if you had the right design, or even freehanding if you have the artistic skill, I'd have loved the first level of one of the Megadrive/ Genesis Sonic games but it would have taken forever with the patterns of the ground and hills and loops. And I'm not artistic at all...

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
oh haha sorry, i didn't watch the video, just you didn't talk about sandpaper in your post :) cool though
and i meant about your pizza boxes, makes me want to order some now ha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte