Tutorial  Updated

DIY Joycon pin jumper (free to ~1€/$)

What you need:
And unused PC Power Extension cable such as this one.
A cable cutter or a simple scissor.
~5 minutes of time.

Steps:
  1. Cut off both ends of the cables
  2. cut off around 3-4 cm (1-1.4 inch) of one of the cables
  3. take the cutoff part and remove the a bit of the inuslation on both ends (~0.4cm or ~0,1 inch)
    Either use a cable cutter or use a scissor which you dont fully close, just enough to get through the insulation.
  4. twist the now lose cables on both ends together until they Form a decently solid "string"
  5. bend the cable in a u-form and put it in place, the switch joycon rail should hold the cable for you
  6. adjust the cable by pressing both ends towards the closest side of the rail.
Dont worry if you mess up, you should have a dozen tries before you run out of cables ;)
60f3501ba9031fc4cf2aebb9e488eb5e.jpg

955ed12336f0208da47d9d9fa30c7021.jpg

Troubleshooting:
Pin 10 isn't shorted.
-push the cable closer to the rail sometimes they seems to hit the empty space between them
-try moving around the switch preferably so that gravity pulls the cable closer to the pin.

Last edited by ken28,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there any indication if the switch is in rcm mode? Mine just doesn't work. It boots up normally into OS.
How to enter the rcm mode correctly? Do I have to hold only "+" while powering on or do I need to hold power?

I'm pretty sure I shorted PINs 9+10 and even PIN 1. Or do you have to short ONLY PIN10+1/9?

I tried paper clips, wires. I have no clue why it doesn't work. Must the cable be connected BEFORE it gets into rcm mode else it will boot up normally?
I have an USB type A to C cable but it clearly is a USB2.0 cable (missing 3.0 pins). It works for my 8bitdo controller (in USB-Mode) and I can charge other devices with it.

Can someone help please?

Last edited by GothicIII,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there any indication if the switch is in rcm mode? Mine just doesn't work. It boots up normally into OS.

I'm pretty sure I shorted PINs 9+10 and even PIN 1. Or do you have to short ONLY PIN10+1/9?

I tried paper clips, wires. I have no clue why it doesn't work. Must the cable be connected BEFORE it gets into rcm mode else it will boot up normally?
I have an USB type A to C cable but it clearly is a USB2.0 cable (missing 3.0 pins). It works for my 8bitdo controller (in USB-Mode) and I can charge other devices with it.

Can someone help please?
You shut down your console completely.
You short pin 10 and 1.
You press VOL- and hold it down (or was it VOL+?).
You turn your switch on.
If you see black screen (no light at all) instead of Switch logo, you are in RCM.

PS: It should stay in the black screen for ever, not boot into the OS. There you can connect it to the USB and do further steps.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Deleted User

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok I've got it working. I just took a power cord (thicker cable) and only used one side to bridge PIN9+10. This worked immediatly. Seems that my paperclip/other cables either shorted too many pins or they are not pushed hard enough against the pins.

ken28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok I've got it working. I just took a power cord (thicker cable) and only used one side to bridge PIN9+10. This worked immediatly. Seems that my paperclip/other cables either shorted too many pins or they are not pushed hard enough against the pins.
Instead of pressing power you also just can insert the USB cable. If it doesn't turn on or show the battery icon it works. Also you device should detect it as an apx device

Last edited by ken28,
D

Deleted User

PS: It should stay in the black screen for ever, not boot into the OS. There you can connect it to the USB and do further steps.
Not forever... if you wait a couple minutes and try turning it back on - it’ll reboot unaffected (I think) - that’s what happened to me.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

bratac

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I build myself a little jumper and can confirm that it works as current can flow through. So here is my question, sorry if this is a stupid question :)
Do I beed to cennect nx Switch to a PC in order to get to RCM mode ir should it work regardless and I made a mistake?

KTroopA

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks OP, about to try this. Once you have entered RCM mode, do you need to remove the wire before you run the payload or is it ok to leave the wire connected to the pins?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.