OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm a noob to Divx DVD players and wanted to know which was the best/cheapest Divx DVD player available? And what features do they have I have googled a bit but I still don't understand fully. Also to play Divx videos on a Divx dvd player do you just burn the divx file to a cd and it runs it? Or do I have to burn it to a dvd in dvd format? Or what are the other ways to play those files?

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just get a (soft-) modded XBOX 1 and install XBMC. Far better - and not much more expensive - than a standalone DivX player. You can update Codecs with the XBOX should a new one be released, stream movies (and audio, pictures and a lot more) via network, if you have one set up. And play XBOX (and a sh*tload of emulator) games on it.

Trust me, I have both a standalone player and an XBOX running XBMC and I barely ever use the former.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a phillips divx dvd player from wal mart it was like $30 and it works perfect

just throw the avi (i'm guessing that's what you're using it for) onto a blank cd

you can do it with nero (burn a data cd)

or with windows "open writable cd folder"

if you want you can take larger sets over 700mb that wont fit on a cd (say like a 4gb season of a show or a 2cd torrent) and burn the ithe files onto a dvd the same way except pick "burn data dvd" with nero

edit: they have magnavox ones at wal mart too for cheap but i chose the phillips over the magnavox because the phillips in metal where as the magnavox is a flimsy looking plastic. but yeah seriously..$30..cant go wrong..go get one!
smile.gif

also the phillips allows for firmware updates and zooming in and out as well as picking the aspect ratio so you always get a perfect screen size

wiki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To play divx videos, simply burn the files onto a dvd a place it in a divx dvd player. Any videos that are encoded with divx or xvid can be played directly on a burnt dvd - no need for conversions.

One feature you might want to look out for is the ability to 'zoom out' during playback. This is only if your tv can't do scaling to fit into the area of your tv. Eg, standard SD tvs 'overscan' the video image, so if you're watching fan-subbed anime, the subs will be cut off.

Flooded

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

I have a phillips divx dvd player from wal mart it was like $30 and it works perfect

just throw the avi (i'm guessing that's what you're using it for) onto a blank cd

you can do it with nero (burn a data cd)

or with windows "open writable cd folder"

if you want you can take larger sets over 700mb that wont fit on a cd (say like a 4gb season of a show or a 2cd torrent) and burn the ithe files onto a dvd the same way except pick "burn data dvd" with nero

edit: they have magnavox ones at wal mart too for cheap but i chose the phillips over the magnavox because the phillips in metal where as the magnavox is a flimsy looking plastic. but yeah seriously..$30..cant go wrong..go get one!
smile.gif

also the phillips allows for firmware updates and zooming in and out as well as picking the aspect ratio so you always get a perfect screen size

Can you link me to an exact model your are talking about so I know what to look for or I could order it online? ( The phillips one )

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5584897

I'd check the store nearest you though to make sure you get the one in the picture. Because reading the reviews some people are saying theirs is slow and doesn't look like the one in the picture so I think they got the shipped magnavox one by accident because that's only like 3 reviews out of the 78 there. Everyone else gives it 4 or 5 stars.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

I'd check the store nearest you though to make sure you get the one in the picture. Because reading the reviews some people are saying theirs is slow and doesn't look like the one in the picture so I think they got the shipped magnavox one by accident because that's only like 3 reviews out of the 78 there. Everyone else gives it 4 or 5 stars.
I've got the 5960, same thing I think, with the addition of a usb input for flash drives. I don't use the flash drive deal because I've got a slow/crappy flash drive and the divx files skip a lot. I burn everything to DVD, holds 4 or 5 movies on one DVD, very handy. Philips' firmware is upgradable as well, so it's a nice one to get.

Bob Loblaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I've got the 5960, same thing I think, with the addition of a usb input for flash drives. I don't use the flash drive deal because I've got a slow/crappy flash drive and the divx files skip a lot. I burn everything to DVD, holds 4 or 5 movies on one DVD, very handy. Philips' firmware is upgradable as well, so it's a nice one to get.

Nice! I didn't know you could get ones with a flash drive! Although I do like having the movies burnt like you said too because I get a lot of stuff for my daughter and you know how kids want to watch the same movie every day. And with a flash drive you would have to delete the movie off every time you wanted to watch a new one
frown.gif

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
ones with USB ports are great if you just wanna download an episode of lost or family guy etc and just watch it instead of wasting disc..

X-Tractor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I can strongly recommend the Philips DVP-5980. It has USB 2.0 support, and an HDMI port to connect it to a HDTV. It costs around $60 to $100, but it's worth every penny.

P.S. It can't play Hi-Res movies.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought my divx player for 25 euros!
smile.gif
at the blokker
tongue.gif
probably won't say much to you but its a big... ''we sell all sorts of things'' store in the netherlands. It works really good! its a provision or something.. a B-brand but I don't care
smile.gif

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
ah, the good blokker ^^ i love their "everything you can stuff in this bag for ten euros"-sales
biggrin.gif

anyways, i got my cyberhome ch-dvd 0401 and im happy with it, plays everything i throw at it.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I have an Iomega 500GB Screenplay.
It plugs into the PC via USB, then into my TV via scart. It has HDMI, Scart (both plug and 3 pin), sata etc. and plays everything I've put on it perfect on the TV, no need for discs. Can also be used just for music or just plain storage.
They come in 500GB or 360GB, imo worth every penny!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.