Divineo fined for $9 Mil

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by harryjon35, Oct 6, 2006.

Oct 6, 2006

Divineo fined for $9 Mil by harryjon35 at 6:18 PM (4,179 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. harryjon35
    OP

Member harryjon35 GBAtemp Regular

Germany

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Wow... yeah will they even be able to pay the fine? ... scary!
    Will more shops be fined in the future? hmm

3. ds6220

Member ds6220 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yeah, I read that bad news today. Anyone notice that there were 2 individuals also in the suite. Like some random Canadian and French man were sued as well. Wow.

4. kernelPANIC

Member kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Aren't those numbers/amounts usually toned down after settlements and all that legal crap? (God! I hate lawyers...)
    Well, at least we know that the DS-X is being sold by other retailers not affiliated to Divineo...

5. MaD_mAnIaC

Member MaD_mAnIaC MaD?

Portugal
    what makes hdloader so illegal? what if i have the original game and want to backup it to the hd (to preserve the original disk and probably faster loading times)? while most people use this kind of devices for pirated games, the product maker isn't responsible for this, neither the reseller... unless divineo sold the hdloader bundled with pirated games i don't see why it's illegal... but i know nothing about hdloader or laws, so i can be wrong.

6. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    HD Loader rocks for 2 reason:
    1) Faster loading times
    2) The laser which sucks on Sonys low quality hardware doesn't get used which results in longer lifespan of your console. Basically your laser is just used to boot the loader then shuts off. So sweet.

Sadly the laws on backing up your own shit are vauge...some say you cant...some say you can...meanwhile people are trying hard to stop us from backing up our own goods....

7. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    From what I understand, the court was held in the US, but Divineo is a Chinese company. They don't have to pay shit. Course I could be wrong.

8. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

More accurate news from http://www.xbox-scene.com/
    Hmm... ? no fine then?

9. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Isn´t Lik-Sang also Chinese?

Wasn´t they sued by Sony Europe?

10. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    They dont need this type of publicity. It doesnt look like a fine to me though...weird... maybe there is more that we dont know yet...still...

11. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Lik-Sang was sued by Nintendo I believe

12. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    I'm so torn

I love Nintendo and I love Divineo... [​IMG]

13. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    When you buy a console shouldn't you be allowed to do what you want with it? I feel a whole knew debate coming on.

14. assassinz

Member assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

United States
    So 9-11 is a bad date for Divineo now too. [​IMG]

15. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States

This just sucks, regardless of my now rather low regard for Divineo. The DMCA has got to blow up at some point, as my daddy's fond of saying "Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered." Maybe the lawsuits are good in that it advances the hog towards slaughter, I can only hope.

Both HDloader and mod chips have legitimate uses. I have no pirated stuff on my PS2 (ya rly!) and use HDloader to play everything that it'll boot. Like HugeCock said, it's faster and bypasses the crappy laser assembly. I want a modchip so I don't have to use the exploit disc and all that crap to boot up. Legitimate uses.

I'm sick of the American political process being whored out to big corperations to be used as a giant thumb on my head. In fact I'm pretty damn tired of the American political process period.

The crap these good for nothing fat-cats get by with wads my panties all the way up to my neck! [​IMG]

The DMCA makes innocent people into criminals, and that ought to be against the damn law!

16. skywarp

Member skywarp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There has to be something more to the story, HDLoader is not illegal, and neither are most modern modchips(since they are sold without the BIOS).

17. RueGorE

Member RueGorE GBAtemp Regular

United States

Valid points indeed, but if I'm not mistaken, the problem is the process of getting those "backup" games to work by using devices that force a console to boot a copied game. This is circumventing technologies that were in place to prevent such things to happen, thus making those devices illegal to use.

I'm quite sure it's legal to make one backup copy of any game software you own, but I'm not so sure if it's okay to play them in place of the original disc or cartridge. Distributing (sell, rent or giving away freely) your backups are flat out illegal in most countries, no doubt about that. [​IMG]

I could be totally wrong but this is what I've come to understand of the laws.

18. snazzypants

Newcomer snazzypants Member

What does this really mean? Are they going out of business or what? I am looking to order an M3+Passkey3 very soon and was going to do it through divineo. Should I steer clear?

19. morcar

Member morcar GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you have the real DVD in your house and you want to back it up tough sony wants you to run your dvd drive in your ps2 into the ground so that you can buy a ps3 or even a ps2 again it`s simple really.

20. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

PS2-Scene also reports about it. Some interesting information in the forum thread there, too.