Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, Skylanders Base Emulator - Project D.I.R.E.

Project D.I.R.E.
(UPDATE 29 NOVEMBER 2023)

We have been made aware that certain individuals are attempting to sell the community edition of this project on ETSY, a project that is explicitly offered for free. This action not only undermines the spirit of our community project but is also a move that capitalizes on the work of others in a very negative way. Furthermore, these sales include unauthorized distribution of bin files related to Lego, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity, which is a clear infringement of intellectual property rights. We strongly urge the community to maintain the integrity of the project by helping us address and curtail these unauthorized sales. It is essential to remind everyone that our project was created for free distribution, and it should remain that way. Your support in this matter is invaluable.

Special Thanks to the following individuals for their dedication and hard work. Without them this project would not be possible.

znxDomain -> firmware unlocker, tester, researcher
Lucky.peic -> firmware gui editor, tester, prototype, initial writeups, researcher
B47M4N -> firmware gui editor, tester, pcb and case creator, researcher, user guide writer
Bowman -> alt firmware, prototype tester
Mystic -> supplied test files, tester

Project D.I.R.E. (Disney Infinity Reverse Engineered) is a portal emulator for Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. This replaces the original portal in place of a custom created one to inject your own character dumps without the need for the original characters, vehicles, or playsets.

This emulator originally started several years ago after a talented coder named obiima did not release his project to the public. Obiima created and demoed a console portal emulator for 3 games: Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. Obiima never released his project into the wild and the project he did release privately was closed firmware meaning locked to the stm32 Bluepill. This project picks up where he left off.

The Firmware allows this device to select between games by holding one of the buttons during boot. Specific Button usage can be found in the User Guide. You have the option of using limited onboard memory or by using an SD card you can increase the character count in your base emulator. By adding your own character files known as bin files, you can inject them into the game without having to keep your original characters.

This emulator currently works on the Wii, Wii U, PS3, and PS4.
We CAN NOT confirm if this works on the PS5 or Nintendo Switch as we do not own those consoles with these games to test with.

We have been told Skylanders plays on the Nintendo Switch but does NOT use the Portal of Power.
We have also seen footage of Disney Infinity being played on a PS5 with a PS4 base.

XBOX 360 and XBOX One are Not Yet included in this release. There is a security chip required from an Activision portal to make this work and we have not yet discovered a simple method to allow these games to work on these specific consoles.

upload_2021-8-26_20-29-42.png

upload_2021-8-27_6-51-30.png

upload_2021-8-27_6-51-46.png

Some of the files are too large to fit in this forum post and have been attached via mediafire.
All files can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9u87thpc42j9a/Release+Package

Attachments

• D.I.R.E Template A06.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 338
  • D.I.R.E._3D_Case_Files_8-25-21_multiple_sizes_of_Button_Caps.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 287
  • D.I.R.E._PCB_2021-03-12.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 320
Last edited by Kfkboys,

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there a one stop shop where I can order all the components I need (in Europe)?
Now I need three or four shops with each their shipping costs.
Probably will try to build with a breadboard or if someone has a good addres where I can order a custom board.. Appreciate the info.

znxDomain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd order them from AliExpress.
I can't post links yet.

USD$ 3.42 - TZT 1.8 inch TFT LCD Module LCD Screen Module SPI serial 51 drivers 4 IO driver TFT Resolution 128*160 For Arduino - aliexpress com /item/32843115817.html

USD$ 7.29 - STM32F103C8T6 ARM STM32 Minimum System Development Board Blue Pill - with ST-Link V2 Programmer -
aliexpress com /item/32345958001.html

USD$ 0.86 - 6*6*5mm DIP Middle 4pin Buttons - aliexpress com /item/32758621542.html

Reactions: lafleche

Kfkboys

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a one stop shop where I can order all the components I need (in Europe)?
Probably will try to build with a breadboard or if someone has a good addres where I can order a custom board.. Appreciate the info.

I don't know of a one stop shop.... but the company jlcpcb has been the least expensive to purchase 5 custom boards including shipping.

H4CK3RxDE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try to buy them from Ebay, there should be enough sellers

rory2005

Trophies
XP
Country
jlcpcb have done an amazing job with my boards, £3.69 for 5 delivered to the UK. Just make sure you upload the full zip file to them.

I have now fully built one now, and 3d printed the case, If you use the enclosed top, You can use 6 x 6 x 13 tactile buttons and cut the stand off from the underside and they fit perfectly, Then no need for the peg buttons

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks all.. Ordered from Ali... Let see how long it takes. I am in no hurry.
In the meantime I will order the pcbs.
I guess I will have to send the complete zip file named D.I.R.E._PCB_2021-03-12.zip to them

Last edited by lafleche,

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Almost there... All components arrived.
Unfortunately the screen is missing the 4 pins header so I had to order some (and of course the post and parcel costs triple the actual part costs)... Other parts already soldered on pcb and STMT32 is programmed (all were firsts for me so to be honest... Damned proud :-))
Also found local company who 3d prints a case.
Now finding the colored pegs....

And play some (which almost seems secondary at this point)

AmyNaga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Congrats for the hard work and thanks for sharing. Already order all the parts. I will post pictures when i start the build. Does anyone have the bin files of all skylanders for all games ?

WIP

Last edited by AmyNaga,

H4CK3RxDE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can confirm that this works on the ps5, at least with lego dimensions

also, does anyone else living in germany need a pcb, i have 4 lying around

seems like it doesn't work for the wii version of skylanders spyro's adventure on the wiiu, maybe because the portal is wireless on the wii?

EDIT:
PS3 version of skylanders spyro's adventure does work without problems, gonna test skylanders giants ps3 in a few days
I can confirm Skylanders Giants on PS3 works too ;)

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Last part arrived, all working fine with Disney infinity... (have not tried others)
I was wondering... With pcb all is very small.
If I use a breadboard with a stmt32 of course but a larger screen eg a 3.2 inch, is there a way to connect that. I see one on Ali but that one has 14 plus 4 pins and not 8 plus 4.

Or even better.... Will this also work? (apart from finding out how to connect the 5 buttons of course)
https://www.joom.com/en/products/5f378f1ed784b201066a894d

(STM32 STM32F103VCT6+3.2" Development Board TFT Touch LCD Module Display Screen Panel Serial Communication Interface)

Last edited by lafleche,

Lamhirh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
^^; Guess I can move my Disney Infinity collection on the shelves.

Can't wait to build that contraption, many thx for this release.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay... No big deal but I can't get my 1gb (an oldie) SD card to work. I put it in the SD reader on the back of LCD, put it in USB and start bank editor.
Select the external memory to format.... Error - 1

Sd card is fine, with multimeter the continuity from LCD to stm32 checks out.
Even used 128.raw file and etcher to make a small card... No difference (SD card error - 1)

With internal memory all works fine and there is no need to have all nfcs loaded... But still... Strange.
Any idea's where to look?

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The main problem with Skylanders is what you could do with each figure was so freaking limited, no jumping? For real? They could have easily made is a Lost Vikings kind of thing were you needed at least three types of characters to clear the levels but instead they went stupid.

Okay... No big deal but I can't get my 1gb (an oldie) SD card to work. I put it in the SD reader on the back of LCD, put it in USB and start bank editor.
Select the external memory to format.... Error - 1

Sd card is fine, with multimeter the continuity from LCD to stm32 checks out.
Even used 128.raw file and etcher to make a small card... No difference (SD card error - 1)

With internal memory all works fine and there is no need to have all nfcs loaded... But still... Strange.
Any idea's where to look?

SD card needs to be in fat32 format.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SD card is in fat32, even tried a micro SD with adapter, used the 128.raw file on both... To no avail.
My build is working with internal so no big deal.
Could be my soldering skills (was my first solder job ever but continuity checks out on all levels), could be a faulty SD reader.
Building a 2nd one when parts arrive... See what happens then

edit: (a few weeks later) tried the sd card again with my first build. I thought 'let''s push the sd card slightly harder" and the I felt a 'click'. Well I feel stupid now because the SD card works just fine. I was just not pushing the SD card deep enough in the slot.
On a positive note: my soldering skills are obviously good enough

Last edited by lafleche,

AmyNaga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have bought this 1.8" inch TFT LCD Display module ST7735S by mistake.. now i see that is not the same one that is in the build. Can please someone tell me is i can use this one, and how to connect it to the stm32 ?

Thanks

1634761464823.jpg

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To avoid disappointment I would take my loss and order a good screen from Ali for 3 to 5 euro.
Or else compare the pin layout from one on Ali and connect the corresponding pins... Perhaps will work, perhaps not (the SD card pins are as far as I can see identical)

AmyNaga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have bought this one from Alixpress and cost me 6 euros. I've tried to compare the layout but there are some port names on the project display that dont exist in this one like "A0" and "led"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs