Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, Skylanders Base Emulator - Project D.I.R.E.

Project D.I.R.E.
(UPDATE 29 NOVEMBER 2023)

We have been made aware that certain individuals are attempting to sell the community edition of this project on ETSY, a project that is explicitly offered for free. This action not only undermines the spirit of our community project but is also a move that capitalizes on the work of others in a very negative way. Furthermore, these sales include unauthorized distribution of bin files related to Lego, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity, which is a clear infringement of intellectual property rights. We strongly urge the community to maintain the integrity of the project by helping us address and curtail these unauthorized sales. It is essential to remind everyone that our project was created for free distribution, and it should remain that way. Your support in this matter is invaluable.

Special Thanks to the following individuals for their dedication and hard work. Without them this project would not be possible.

znxDomain -> firmware unlocker, tester, researcher
Lucky.peic -> firmware gui editor, tester, prototype, initial writeups, researcher
B47M4N -> firmware gui editor, tester, pcb and case creator, researcher, user guide writer
Bowman -> alt firmware, prototype tester
Mystic -> supplied test files, tester

Project D.I.R.E. (Disney Infinity Reverse Engineered) is a portal emulator for Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. This replaces the original portal in place of a custom created one to inject your own character dumps without the need for the original characters, vehicles, or playsets.

This emulator originally started several years ago after a talented coder named obiima did not release his project to the public. Obiima created and demoed a console portal emulator for 3 games: Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions, and Skylanders. Obiima never released his project into the wild and the project he did release privately was closed firmware meaning locked to the stm32 Bluepill. This project picks up where he left off.

The Firmware allows this device to select between games by holding one of the buttons during boot. Specific Button usage can be found in the User Guide. You have the option of using limited onboard memory or by using an SD card you can increase the character count in your base emulator. By adding your own character files known as bin files, you can inject them into the game without having to keep your original characters.

This emulator currently works on the Wii, Wii U, PS3, and PS4.
We CAN NOT confirm if this works on the PS5 or Nintendo Switch as we do not own those consoles with these games to test with.

We have been told Skylanders plays on the Nintendo Switch but does NOT use the Portal of Power.
We have also seen footage of Disney Infinity being played on a PS5 with a PS4 base.

XBOX 360 and XBOX One are Not Yet included in this release. There is a security chip required from an Activision portal to make this work and we have not yet discovered a simple method to allow these games to work on these specific consoles.

upload_2021-8-26_20-29-42.png

upload_2021-8-27_6-51-30.png

upload_2021-8-27_6-51-46.png

Some of the files are too large to fit in this forum post and have been attached via mediafire.
All files can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9u87thpc42j9a/Release+Package

Attachments

• D.I.R.E Template A06.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 336
  • D.I.R.E._3D_Case_Files_8-25-21_multiple_sizes_of_Button_Caps.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 280
  • D.I.R.E._PCB_2021-03-12.zip
    63.9 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by Kfkboys,

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YOOOOOOO

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this is amazing!!!!
This is literally the last thing I expected to see today, especially on this site. I've said this in the past, but I cannot wait to see where this goes

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Having custom hardware is kinda neat tho as you can use it on all consoles and bring it to friends places...
True true, I'm just suggesting the software thing as an extra option for people like me who have the Wii U version of Dimensions but can't get their own/make their own little piece of hardware for this.

DrAlexander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That is for Disney infinity, I mean for skylanders or lego dimensions.

I don't know about these. I think dimensions needs a hardware device to emulate the pad even on cemu. At least that's what I found from my roaming online.
And since nobody said that I'm not allowed to, does anyone have the figures and vehicle .bin files for lego dinemsions?

Kfkboys

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about these. I think dimensions needs a hardware device to emulate the pad even on cemu. At least that's what I found from my roaming online.
And since nobody said that I'm not allowed to, does anyone have the figures and vehicle .bin files for lego dinemsions?
So, afaik, you can use either the original toy pad or the emulator in the original post we released for you to play on cemu with usb passthrough.
As far as the bins, I know they're copyrighted so I don't think we can link to them at all.
But the algo to make your own is known.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never cared for the Skylanders games, too gimmicky with a mish mash type of gameplay.. Though cool to see something like this.

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Project D.I.R.E.

We have also seen footage of Disney Infinity being played on a PS5 with a PS4 base.

To confirm that DI works on the PS5 using the Base and v1, v2, v3 characters. (so there is no reason D.I.R.E. wouldn't work)

My kids have the full set of DI characters (except the 14 infinite/fx ones) and they work using the same base that we have had on the Wii / PS3 / PS4 and now PS5

Only DI v2 or v3 game works (from PS4 disc) as the first is Wii/PS3 only

They are still pissed-off that Disney dumped before v4 came out with the promised cross-world play (i.e. Marvel characters in Star-Wars world etc.), before this they were Disney mad, now if it has a Disney brand they are ... Meh
I would like to see someone reverse engineer the games to allow any character in any world :grog:

Last edited by MadBob,

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who would've thought we'd be reading news regarding the toys to life franchise in 2021. I've still got a couple figures stashed away somewhere but this is pretty cool for console gamers! Younger me would've flipped his shit at that thing

rory2005

Trophies
XP
Country
For the guys asking about lego dimensions you need to find ldtageditor, its a apk file for android phones for writing ntag labels for lego dimensions characters. I found this very quickly on good old google.

For anyone asking on usage:-
The app contains everything, but doesn't unlock until you scan a ntag213 tag, once it recognises it it will then allow you to write any character or vehicle to it.

BTW this is not my app, and is totally separate to the dire project requirements, This is just an app i tested for use with a lego dimensions portal using ntag213 tags, The dire project does this too but i personally find it complicated as i remember having to have certain characters in exact positions on the portal to proceed in the game further

Last edited by rory2005,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm the Switch version of Skylanders does indeed NOT use a portal as the NFC stuff is in one of the Joycons as I have Imaginators for the Switch.

Reactions: bazamuffin

BigBadBugaboom

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If only there was a Wii U app that could do this without the hardware.. Maybe the app could bring up a little swapping menu when you hit the TV button?
You mean like Wumiibo for 3DS, if that is possible?? Wumiibo has the same but only for amiibos on 3DS and also enables the option to not need the ir reader for Old 3DS/2DS

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I missed the entire skylanders/lego dimensions/disney infinity party (indeed missed it so bad that someone saying about toys attached to games I am more likely to think GBA stuff like Legendz and Plaston gate), today mostly see bags of them and the readers at car boot sales where I ignore them harder than I do kinect games. Nobody has particularly made the case that the games are all that fun either, or would be fun but for reaching into your wallet.

Still nice to see some hacking work spun up to a usable thing like this. Nice work all involved.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Kfkboys

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be willing to pay for a prebuilt one. @Kfkboys

While I have received a many requests to build these devices and sell them, i unfortunately will not be building any more unless for private use.

That being said, your local repair shop and or your local college or university should be able to build these without a problem. You don't need much, the board is laid out with through holes for soldering. And all directions are included in the guide.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't be surprised if using that one somehow ends up softbricking your Wii/Wii U/Xbone/PS3/4/5.
Why would it? It does not install software on your wii/wiiu/..... and the same could be said when you build this device yourself.
A lot of % of our gaming and phone stuff is made in China
So again.... I will wait for some Chinese made allin1 (also because I am absolutely not capable of building this device myself)

Reactions: MadBob

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so I have a teensy 3.2 kicking around... Is it straight forward even if I'm not using the stm32 or should I just go out and get a 2$ stm32?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning