Disney cancels Disney Infinity and quits game publishing

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by endoverend, May 10, 2016.

1. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    3Yj-C07nmFfp05fB7_z54lMI3VsyQ5SR.jpg

Today Disney announced that they are cancelling their Disney Infinity line of games and figurines, as well as quitting game self-publishing altogether. Speculations are that this was due to a decrease in revenue from the series.
    :arrow:Source

Feeling it!, Jiehfeng, T-hug and 4 others like this.

2. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    Took them long enough.

3. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Well atleast we got some Kingdom Hearts dlc at the end, so im fine with that.

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    hopefully the rest of them will stop too (skylanders, dimensions, amiibo)

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's very surprising to me. Not looking at the overall revenue I always got the impression that Infinity figurines were hot ticket items, at least in the video game store I used to work for. People always bought them in droves, especially after major movie releases. Not that I'll shed a tear, the whole "toys-to-life" genre reeks of scam. They're basically video games sold without a character and level selection screens - you have to buy those separately, even though all the content is already in the games and the figurines merely unlock it.

6. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Let's hope that we get some more actual games. Even if they are shitty. Maybe we'll get an actual Zootopia game?

NO

7. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I can understand disliking amiibo (since there is game content/features directly tied to it), but why should the others stop? Them existing shouldn't affect you in any way.

8. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    couldn't agree more. it's always seemed like a scam to me. same as amiibos.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  9. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Read foxi's post, that basically explains my dislike for them.

10. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    Strange... local video game stores are dominated by these figures. They seem to be their bread and butter nowadays.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, but it does - in a major way. The success of Skylanders paved the way for Infinity, Dimensions, Amiibo and other assorted nonsense that plays no practical purpose other than inflate the price of the "complete" game. I can understand people complaining over toys-to-life and it makes sense for the same reason why complaining about the iPhone makes sense - because of their undue influence on the rest of the industry. It only takes one teaspoon of salt to spoil the whole broth, and it takes quite a while to "fix" it afterwards. Physical DLC is a money-fleecing scheme, that's the whole point of it in the first place.

12. jesterscourt

jesterscourt Not Brad.

Jan 3, 2007
    United States
    Hopefully Skylanders can take note and sit out this year as well. They peaked with Swap Force.
    Now Nintendo, announce we can use the Animal Crossing amiibos somehow with the Animal Crossing NX which will be a full blown Animal Crossing game with the added stuff from HHD. Thanks!

Chary likes this.
  13. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    It's fine to dislike them, but that's not what you said. What you basically said is "I don't like them, so they shouldn't exist." If you don't like the figures, don't buy them. It's not a scam unless they say "Hey kids, all the game is there! Just buy one figure and you'll have access to everything!" Just because you didn't read the fine print that doesn't mean it's a scam.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You're right - it's not illegal, just highly unethical. It's like selling a car that requires an additional accessory pack in order to use the ignition. That's not a car - that's a lemon. You were sold a lemon and you were mislead into thinking that it's a complete product that you can *expand upon* by accessorizing - that's not what's happening, you're just unlocking access to features that are already there.

15. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Which is why I have never and will continue to never buy any of those games. But there are people who are perfectly content with that purchase model, unlike the buyers of so-called lemons, which is the main difference here. No one's ever happy for receiving a lemon, but someone may be happy with their Skylanders purchase, so let them purchase it.

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't know about that - some people are happy enough with partially functioning goods as long as they're relatively servicable - they "won't use the features anyways", at least that's how they validate their purchase post-factum. It's the gambler's fallacy - you already paid $90, why not pay $10 extra. And again. And again. There are obviously people happy enough with the model, but that doesn't shield it from criticism.

Feeling it! likes this.
  17. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Capitalism!

Anyway, I'm not sad to see them go. I never really was a fan of their "productions". And at least - for the most part - amiibos aren't required to play the game (with the exception of that fucking awful "Animal Crossing Amiibo Party"). Disney Infinity, along with Skylanders, made the unholy decision to force their figures on the end-user. It's almost like an on-disc-DLC work around; instead of DLC that's already on the disc, you must hunt down figures in order to unlock data that's already on the disc. Except, there's a difference; instead of DLC, it's the ENTIRE GOD DAMN GAME! Seriously? That's disgusting. But hey, if you don't like it; don't buy it. That's just how it is, when you live under

Capitalism!

18. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Wait...
    Nope, it's not April 1st.
    This is weird.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's all a matter of the amount of content versus the initial investment. There are ways to make this model work, for instance making the game free to play and treating the figurines as the revenue maker. In that scenario the game plays the role of an interactive advertisement and if you like it, you can grab an "expansion pack" with the reader and the figurines. It's like IAP, but it brings in actual physical value to the purchase - that works. There's no shortage of people buying virtual goods, those people would buy the same skins as physical items. Alternatively there's the Amiibo model, but that provides too little value in my opinion - the Amiibos do nothing. You have to strike a balance here, and nobody really got it right yet.

20. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    It's May 10th.