Hacking Diskwriter 2.0 released , break limit 31 games in one microsd card?

smasbros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Today, sky released DW2.0b8 for public.
Change logs:
1. Tiny bugs fixed.
2. Added microSD card space management feature.
Note:You need to convert your old saved data on microSD card(DW1.06)
if any to the new DW2.0 format by the pop up window "Save backup file".

http://sky3ds.com/download.html

Through 2.0 user guide , it wrote like that
DW2.0 added two sections in main menu, the available games listed in the top section(section#1),and the bottom section(section#2) is for saving(all savers of the games listed in this section will be saved here).

Break over 31 games in one microsd card.

Section#1 can list 31 games , and section#2 64 games, 95 in total.
Simply, you can list the games you want to play in section#1, otherwise list them to section#2, never worry for losing game savers.

Move game(s) to section#2 by selecting the game(s) to right-click with option "Down to Reserve" in section#1;
Move game(s) to section#1 by selecting the game(s) to right-click with option "Up to Positive" in section#2.

Reactions: Margen67

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wow, Sky3ds is on a roll. A Diskwriter update after their template file update. Just inserted in my microsd card and its telling me that the sd card data is old version and needs to be backup and restored again. Hmm...

*They have this nasty bug too. If you leave that "backup and restore" message there for a while, more windows keep popping up to tell you to do the backup. Quite irritating i must say. Hope they'll release a fix soon.

Reactions: Margen67

smasbros

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, Sky3ds is on a roll. A Diskwriter update after their template file update. Just inserted in my microsd card and its telling me that the sd card data is old version and needs to be backup and restored again. Hmm...

*They have this nasty bug too. If you leave that "backup and restore" message there for a while, more windows keep popping up to tell you to do the backup. Quite irritating i must say. Hope they'll release a fix soon.

Well, I tried it, but didn't find more windows popping up , only one window pop up to tell me to save "bks" if doing games backup. I just closed such window to go on.

pu1se80

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really like the solution they've come up with. This was already a very impressive cart and this just made it better.

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, I tried it, but didn't find more windows popping up , only one window pop up to tell me to save "bks" if doing games backup. I just closed such window to go on.
Hmm. I'm on windows xp. I didn't close that backup window and jus left it there. That's when the diskwriter keeps popping up with new backup reminder windows. Maybe I'll try it on another win7 system to see if it happens.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well its doesn't really break the 31 game limit from the sounds of it, it just lets you have 31, and a hidden 64 that you can switch out if you have access to a computer......but really it may actually be better like that, you could just copy all of them on and then move any your not playing atm to the "reserve" which would save you flicking through 31 games to find the one you want, so yeah kind of not breaking the 31 game limit, but coming up with a fairly useful compromise that may actually be better than having >31 games to go though anyway

....on the other hand it adds substance to the argument they can't update the card to add new features, only work around the limitations

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good. Ill check all this out when i get to my laptop.
I do wish there was more info on how there coming up with there "unknow id" for there templates but i guess its a company sercet.

Either way the update seems cool.

Reactions: Deleted-355425
D

Deleted-19228

well its doesn't really break the 31 game limit from the sounds of it, it just lets you have 31, and a hidden 64 that you can switch out if you have access to a computer......but really it may actually be better like that, you could just copy all of them on and then move any your not playing atm to the "reserve" which would save you flicking through 31 games to find the one you want, so yeah kind of not breaking the 31 game limit, but coming up with a fairly useful compromise that may actually be better than having >31 games to go though anyway

....on the other hand it adds substance to the argument they can't update the card to add new features, only work around the limitations

It's possible the 31 games isn't actually a card limitation but a limitation using the method they decided to write to the sd card.

CHK991

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
It's nice to have but I can't imagine having so many games on my Sky3DS. To begin with switching between games takes forever.

Multiboy2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And, this is why I will always love me some Sky3DS.
...been playing successfully and without error on it since November of last year on my Aussie NN3DS. And, now I have the games on the cart in such a way that I can use it on my US NN3ds Xl and my aus pal unit. No hassle, no drama, no waiting, just games. And, they are always updating and communicating with us customers.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
...been playing successfully and without error on it since November of last year on my Aussie NN3DS. And, now I have the games on the cart in such a way that I can use it on my US NN3ds Xl and my aus pal unit. No hassle, no drama, no waiting, just games. And, they are always updating and communicating with us customers.
Snort

mary1517

Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not going to make a new thread just to ask this questions about sky3ds, but there are things that bothers me, and some related to this DW update:
1. Let's say I have like... a 16GB SD card, there is no way I would fit 30+ games on it. But what about saves? Can I keep the saves and delete the roms like on the DS era flashcards? Or, like, when I put a game to the "section 2" do the rom still have to be on the SD card or a record in the memory about it is enoughe and I can remove it and put them again whenewer I want and they'll work with no problems or save corruptions?
2. Does Sky3ds supports the Download Play? Like with Mario Kart 7?
3. Does local multiplayer and streetpass still work when "banned"? xD

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to make a new thread just to ask this questions about sky3ds, but there are things that bothers me, and some related to this DW update:
1. Let's say I have like... a 16GB SD card, there is no way I would fit 30+ games on it. But what about saves? Can I keep the saves and delete the roms like on the DS era flashcards? Or, like, when I put a game to the "section 2" do the rom still have to be on the SD card or a record in the memory about it is enoughe and I can remove it and put them again whenewer I want and they'll work with no problems or save corruptions?
2. Does Sky3ds supports the Download Play? Like with Mario Kart 7?
3. Does local multiplayer and streetpass still work when "banned"? xD

1. Not sure.

2. Yes, because Sky3DS simply acts as the actual game cart.

3. Yes, because those functions work even without internet access.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a Micro SD with 31 games on it, but I noticed scrolling through all these games takes ages and I don't even want to play all of them now... So, I wonder, using this new DiskWriter, can I just disable a few of my games and reactivate them later? On my existing SD card setup? What will happen with savegames of disabled games?

D

Deleted-19228

I want to say you are trolling but I don't think you are >_>

I see you are in Vegas also <_<

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a Micro SD with 31 games on it, but I noticed scrolling through all these games takes ages and I don't even want to play all of them now... So, I wonder, using this new DiskWriter, can I just disable a few of my games and reactivate them later? On my existing SD card setup? What will happen with savegames of disabled games?
yeah that should work, which is a coolish feature i guess, just drop anything your not currently playing into the reserves to save time scrolling, and pull them back out when you want them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum