disk stuck in wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by froggettes, Mar 9, 2010.

Mar 9, 2010

disk stuck in wii by froggettes at 12:21 AM (2,790 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. froggettes
    OP

Newcomer froggettes Newbie

Australia
    Hi, I need help. I have borrowed friends wii. She gave it to me with disk inside console. Now when we turn wii on, the drive dosn't spin. We know for a fact there is a disk stuck in there. We have tried pressing the eject button in lots of different ways. Googled issue and tried several different things like holding console on different angles, pressing button, inserting a paperclip in the drive all to no avail. We can't send it back to nintendo as warranty is void. We can get inside console no problems. I have been researching this for 2 weeks now still with no fix in sight. I can't give wii back to her like this.
    HELP HELP If anyone knows how to get disk out by going inside console we will try it.

2. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    get a triwing screwdriver and open that badboy up (several guides on youtube for this but i can't link because youtube is blocked here)
    partially dis-assemble the disk drive and take the disk out then just put it back together agin

also: who else read "dick stuck in wii"?

3. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    Me [​IMG]

Like mercluke said, Get a Triwing rip 'er open.

4. froggettes
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for reply, We have opened her up and we can visually see disk. We can't move the disk out though. We havn't taken any of the screws out of dvd drive as not sure if we will really stuff it. If we remove screws is it as simple as the actual console where everything just goes back together nicely. Havn't managed to find a guide on the dvd drive to even attempt it is all. Please respond mercluke

5. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
  6. froggettes
    OP

Australia
    Ok I had success. I opened up the wii last night. Had a good close look at the drive and it appears that all wires are connected, bands are on so on. So I unscrewed 5 screws on the drive. Gently pried open the drive, manually realesing the spring loaded plate that holds the disk down and the disk came out with a little encouragement. Yeah.
    Put wii fully back together and tested and you wouldn't believe it, there is still no power to drive. I have disk, so I have had 1 major success and thats what I was needing to achieve. Thanks to all for your help.
    Back to googling on wii drive not powering up.
    Oh, checked forum after I did this. That link is great.

7. steve-p

Member steve-p GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    if the disk is in but not spinning then it's often caused by 2 "fingers" that stick up at the front to stop a second disk being pushed in,

if some kid shoves a second disk in real hard then these fingers bend in and press against the edge of the disk - you need to bend them back to vertical.

sometimes this can cause 1 or 2 fuses to fail on the dvd board too - but it's rare.

8. Amber Lamps

Banned Amber Lamps Banned

United States
    Rule of thumb: configurable usb loader. Never need to put a disc in your wii again [​IMG]

But yeah I'd suggest opening it up with a triwing and removing the disc. Whenever I have such problem, I disassemble the device in question and remove the disc that way. Otherwise you'll be monkeying with the power and eject button for hours to no avail.

9. froggettes
    OP

Australia
    Just an update on my wii issues.
    As already stated got disk out by opening up the drive.
    So I still had power issues to the drive.
    We accidenttly shorted out the wii when reconnecting the drive back to the main wii.
    It was as simple as the pins on the drive, one was pushed and touching the pin next to it.
    It was squashed quite nicely that there was no indication that there was a problem.
    So when we reconnected everything and turned the wii on, pow.
    Though there was no noise(pow), it simply stopped working.
    So I replaced the electrial part ontop of the drive and presto, The wii is working perfectly.
    An expensive lesson that one was.