Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Right so i was on my pc playing around with audacity and listening to a midi on firefox when suddenly firefx crashed. i then restarted firefx and selected new session. then bam! pc turned off and restarted. at a point during rebooting it said DISK BOOT FAILURE: insert system disk. I then inserted XP CD, i can here it checking floppy drive (odd?) and then it asks for the disk again. i have sp3 installed and the XP disk i have is pre sp3 (contains sp2). damn reached psp's character limit. check post below

Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
keeps asking for system disk, wont recognize xp cd. Can anything be done?
cry.gif

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Could be several things, first off it sounds a bit like a corrupt hard drive. But it could also be due to bad ram, over heating cpu, make sure your CD rom drive is working properly too.

Could also be your mobo is dying.

Could also be a broken psu.

So many things can account for whats going on with your computer right now.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, what I would suggest is try figuring out if it is a faulty part on your computer which can be a pain

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As dark said it could be several keys. Could be f12, f2, del are some of the keys I have seen. Should say which key when the computer first gets turned on.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay it should show which f key to press when you boot up your pc then there should be a setting to select the dvd drive.

Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
DarkLG said:
um depends on an hp there is an f key you press so I really don't know what type pc you have?
computer is old compaq. i know how to get into the bios just not sure which settings to change to boot via dvd drive first. probably just the motherboard dying, gonna go take look inside to whether see if anything fried.

Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Update well i turned my computer on and it bypassed the screen of DISK BOOT FAILURE, but then windows started scanning the hard drive for inconsistencies, now it did this several times, rebooted and did it again, each time it found random files and trunacated them and then afterwards went to the DISK BOOT FAILURE screen. But yet I'm able to get into windows via safe mode (with networking) and are posting from my pc now. I'm leaning towards corrupt hard drive. Should i just reformat hard drive or that fact that i am able to boot via safe mode means hard drive isn't corrupt?

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The hard drive could very likely be on its "last legs" what size is it and how old is it? I guess you could get a ubuntu live disk or something else and do some tests on the hard drive to see whats wrong with it.

Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
It's old, 40 GB between prolly 5-8 years old XD, doesn't matter if this computer goes, just using it as our usual computer is at our other house. Just means if this computer goes gonna be without a computer til after Christmas when we head back to our family home.

Edit- No wait, get this. The hard drive is 21 GB
rofl.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Talaria said:
It's old, 40 GB between prolly 5-8 years old XD, doesn't matter if this computer goes, just using it as our usual computer is at our other house. Just means if this computer goes gonna be without a computer til after Christmas when we head back to our family home.

Edit- No wait, get this. The hard drive is 21 GB
rofl.gif
I lolled at you lolling at your HD size
smile.gif
. We would have killed for 21 gigs back in the day
tongue.gif
. Aanyway, it could still be a few things but I personally would say HD too. You can simply test this by replacing the HD and/or trying the HD in another system. Also you could try a reinstall of windows, just to make sure it simply isn't a botched up install.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s