Disillusioned with Gateway reseller price increase and joking

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by romanaOne, Feb 3, 2015.

1. romanaOne
    OP

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    I noticed the price of Gateway went up at most resellers right after the 9.5 update.

Patience is the best long-term strategy to avoid getting ripped off in stupid fly-by-night-flashcart-maker (gazelle) vs. Nintendo (cheeta) arms races:

Nintendo doesn't care about the DS/DS Lite anymore and so just about every flashcart works. At the very least, the 3DS will have a closed software library and no more firmware updates. A couple more years isn't so long....

So in a year or two when they come out with the next gen. 4DS with psychedelic-hypercubic-autotrophic screen which everyone will turn off because viewing it causes brain tumors and try to make everybody do the video game equivalent of rebuying The White Album AGAIN, they won't care about the 3DS anymore and will not bother to block the new SpiritInTheSky3DS flashcart which combines the best of GW/Sky, has a purple button, and includes AR cards which spontaneously combust in 30 seconds!

The new e-vil Shop will scan your retina through the front camera to verify your identity to make sure YOU can't ever resell your video game equivalent of The White Album which you thought you'd bought but had actually rented.

I think there might be victory in delaying. Possibly indefinitely.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    I think the best time to purchase it as around the holidays, or black friday, when it was cheap.

3. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    How cheap was it?

I'm still not sure I want it: gonna wait and see what happens when the arms race ends.

4. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    It all depends on what you want out of your card,

play roms only, sky3ds is perfect for that.

play roms including having devmenu to install cia's and run homebrew than its GW.

You will have to pick your poison. I bought my card, I think, for 54.99 during the black friday sale.

5. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Buy both.....

6. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Nope. Not until the 3DS XL and its game library is safely obsolete. ;)

migles likes this.
  7. tony_2018

Jan 3, 2014
    United States

No to what.........

8. romanaOne
    OP

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    Mech said:

9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    when that time comes, i will quit from this dimension if we dont get cfw or a propper exploit to launch homebrew without relying on an overpriced card

ewin00 likes this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Either Gateway or Sky3DS cost the same as two new retail 3DS games. That's nothing.

There is no "arms race." Gateway will keep updating, and the Gateway has a much better feature set, but if your console isn't supported and you don't want to wait, just buy a Sky3DS. The 3DS scene is pretty wide open right now.