Disgaea studio Nippon Ichi Software reportedly in financial trouble, as employees may soon go unpaid

disgaea.jpg

Things appear to not be going well for Nippon Ichi Software, as reports, comments, and outcries of financial problems begin to crop up. NIS is not to be confused with its North American localizing and publishing branch, NIS America; NIS itself is the Japanese studio that develops titles such as Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Labyrinth of Refrain, The Witch and the Hundred Knight, and many other niche JRPGs. Currently, they are working on Disgaea RPG, a mobile phone game, which was delayed "indefinitely" earlier this year after a rocky launch that saw the game taken down entirely, causing company stocks to plunge in the aftermath. A month after the delay has now seen further complications for NIS, as blogs, news outlets, and even employees have come forward to say that workers will soon go without pay, as the company doesn't have the funds for salaries.

As reported in Japan, Nippon Ichi Software has gone through with a Moving Strike Warrant, meaning that they're selling their stocks far below value, in order to quickly make money at the cost of current stockholders investments in attempts to quickly generate enough to pay their employees. As Disgaea RPG has been in development for two years and wasn't ready for launch, there has been no income brought in to provide the development team with their wages. For the few Japanese players that bought in-game items before the game was pulled, they can now request a refund, through opening a support ticket on the official website, presumably occurring now rather than immediately after the game was pulled, as a result of the MS Warrant.

It is not currently known how this will impact future Nippon Ichi Software games, such as the in-development Disgaea 6.

:arrow: Source

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
no surprise, they have been doing pretty shit for a long time now, releasing buggy games, releasing weeb games on platforms without weebs to buy them and censoring themselves to appeal to a wider audience that isn't there.

That's NIS America, not NIS.

Either way, I hope to hell they don't go under. I don't know how I can handle another death like Imageepoch. That was *not* pretty, and I love the Disgaea games to death (or 9999999999999 damage, anyways.)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have said, I hope they can pull themselves around. I hope the worse thing that happens is that they are bought by another good company. Not saying it will help much, but they do have more titles they could be porting to PC and newer consoles.

I would @ that one guy with the laharl pic but I don't know their name.
lol

Reactions: Skaidus

Nimrod-002

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
explains why they re-release their games so often, they made Disgea 3 and 4 on the PS3 redundant by remastering them on the vita within a year, as a non vita owner i hated that.

Reactions: THYPLEX

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I already suffered something like this when the studio behind Viewfull Joe disappeared.

Oh well, at least they did port Disgaea 5 to the Switch.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
That's NIS America, not NIS.

Either way, I hope to hell they don't go under. I don't know how I can handle another death like Imageepoch. That was *not* pretty, and I love the Disgaea games to death (or 9999999999999 damage, anyways.)
you are right, it's easy to mix them up.

still, nis japan has been doing just ok, they have gone too niche for its own good, just look at what they have released the past year. without a heavy hitter to keep them up is no wonder they are struggling.

don't get me wrong, I like them and don't want them to go away, but they brought this by themselves.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad. I like the Nippon art style, but I've so little interest in most their games (Yomawari series looks interesting and the Prinny series looks interesting if brutal). Was going to suggest them teaming up with Nihon Falcom, but I don't think they're in a position to do such a thing. *sigh* Still sort of sad to see them go, even if I think they're too ecchi.

lordpsycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Sad news indeed. Played all disgaea games, I've even got platinum trophy on both Yomawari 1-2 and A Rose in the Twilight, they're so engaging and nicely done.

Hopefully they can finish their mobile game, a Disgaea mashup can give them a lot of money. Also if they could merge with Atlus (even though Sega owns it) or IdeaFactory/CompileHeart they could make some really funny crossovers...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16