Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance Coming to North America and Europe in 2015

Discussion in 'PS4 - Games & Content' started by GameWinner, Dec 17, 2014.

1. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

Press Release

010_thumb2.jpg 15416755464_626be10786_n.jpg 15851754770_6fd52b8479_n.jpg d5-1-600x337.jpg Disgaea-5-16.jpg Disgaea-5-Gameplay_11-18-14.jpg

2. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I should have a ps4 by then so I'll definitely be buying this

3. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    That's quite a long wait but i'm happy that's coming out.

4. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    It's nice to see a that at least some smaller companies can release in EU without it being a train wreck.

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    There's a limit to how ridiculous these games ought to get, and we've clearly passed it.

6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    So how does a company that is struggling financially to the degree that they will close depending on how Disgaea 5 performs somehow manage to secure the funding to get a translation done for other regions?

7. GameWinner
    OP

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Ah, that was a mistranslation.
    I put an update in the OP of that thread.

8. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    Sigh...I think my stress reliever were rpg games, totally miss playing some.

9. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Guess I should really start playing 4 lol been sat on my card since launch day and I've only done the tutorial.

BORTZ likes this.
  10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Preordering as soon as it's available.

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    This is great news. No need for a fan-translation, but I am looking forward to a possible un-dub, unless they release it that way.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Will purchase. :yay:

13. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I know the first game had options for audio and text language. I would imagine the sequels did as well.

The whole "PS4 exclusive" thing sounds ridiculous in my opinion. NiS (or at least Disgaea) isn't known for its high quality graphics. The models in that last screenshot look fairly unfuzzy, but the textures are still bad. It would've been a much better idea to make it for the PS3. There have been 13.4m PS4s sold since the end of September, and 80m PS3s since Nov. 2013. If they're struggling to stay afloat, they should cater to as big of an audience as they can.

Steena and Jayro like this.
  14. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I love weird anime and tactics games but these arent for me. I tried one of the ones for PSP and 4 on Vita (both demos) and I dont know what it is. I cant get into them. But I hope this sells well enough to save NIS.

I dont think these games should be on console though... wouldnt they be better suited for handhelds? Then again the Vita is the hottest thing around.

15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Usually they get an improved handheld port along the line. I'd imagine this one's no different.

BORTZ likes this.
  16. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Every time i see disgaea game I'm amazed there's no long series based on the series, this sort of setting would sell quite well as an anime/manga

17. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    People still want boring 100+ hour SRPG grindfests? NIS has already made like 20 of them.

No and thank you.

18. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Yeah i get your point, i'm still gonna beat it at some point, i like the setting and characters in those games. I even like the mechanics, that said there might be too much grind.

19. GameWinner
    OP

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    To all those wondering why there isn't a PS3 or Vita version:
    The game is apparently too taxing for both systems. In this game, NIS is targetting 100 characters on screen at a time instead of 30 like in the past games. Disgaea 4 on both PS3 and Vita have frame drops here and there when there is too much on the screen at a time so it isn't really that surprising that they want a system with better tech. (They are like Game Freak in a way when it comes to developing)

20. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Yeah and that is obviously bullshit PR. The game doesn't even look structurally different than the previous titles, it will just have more units, perhaps not even that often. Also, it's turn based, a little slowdown won't kill anyone for more version releases.

As for the slowdowns on previous systems/titles, it's the developer's fault for not opimizing them properly. I don't see how a very low-poly 3D tile-based map with 2D characters can even have slowdowns in the first place. The Disgaea serie consistently looks like it belongs to the previous generation of consoles it is on, now with 5, they bumped that difference to two generations. Graphics-wise, it looks very, very similar to Ragnarok Online, which could render hundreds of character on-screen without an issue with 1999 computers back then, which were much weaker than a PS4 (or PS3 even, or hell, EVEN PS2) is today. The game was even able to withstand several individual players spamming spells with big effects at the same time before tanking in FPS.

Pretty sure a PS4 exclusivity deal is going on under the table. Sony has been pulling that out a lot to promote the system further. I don't really mind if it's an exclusive for monetary reasons, the blatant lies is what I'm not happy with. The developer should be honest.