• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[Discussion] Your views on religion.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 10,958
  • Replies 196
D

Deleted User

OP
Notice: This thread is about religion. This means that there will be contradicting opinions. Because this is the case, some will get frustrated and flustered. In these cases, I advise you not to post until you have collected some thoughts into a reasonable post. I also advise you not to say harmful things regarding religions unless you truly mean them.

Before posting, please note that all rules established here and here are not voided in this thread. You must follow all rules, and your post can (and most likely will) be reported if you are violating them.

With constant growth of the disbelief in God (or the belief in no God) and tensions between different religions, religion has constantly become a hot topic. Certain religions have been changing their doctrine to fit modern society to make themselves more appealing. Personally, I am not fond of this approach, because you shouldn't have to change the fundamental prospects of your religion to get somebody to join it. The basis of a religion is the belief in something, but changing those beliefs to make it more appealing just seems wrong -- one could argue it seems that it doesn't make it a true religion.

Anyways, I just want to get your opinion on what a religion and why you do(n't) follow one.

EDIT: Don't be like this
Bad person in this post. said:
I don't remember Jesus being the guy who was supposed to perform miracles for every single person in the world. Can you point out the texts that say that? So far it seems like your issues with religion stem from dumb religious people than it does the religion itself, which is pretty silly.

Prove to me you objectively exist. I'll wait.
Also Christians have contributed a lot to science there bud. Check out some of the links in this video.

u mad bro?

Last edited by ,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Religion, it's one hell of a drug.

In all seriousness..

Certain religions have been changing their doctrine to fit modern society to make themselves more appealing.

Like it or not, religions have been changing their doctrine since their first inception. Even those who try to remain as conservative as often are often faced with questions that are difficult, if not impossible, to answer. Things like nuclear war and nuclear weapons springs to mind. Having said that, yes, most religions often specifically change their doctrine in spirit to fit modern society, be it 1600s modern, 1700s modern, etc.

Personally, I am not fond of this approach, because you shouldn't have to change the fundamental prospects of your religion to get somebody to join it.

Nor am I. I do tend to think that it's somewhat indicative, though, of how much religion actually fails to capture specific issues. To some degree, religion is an ongoing story of trying to rectify the incongruity between the divine and the vulgar. If you try to set in stone the rules and the expectations, it becomes a tortured exercise to try to explain things in your religion, or you just have to abandon your religion entirely because at some point it fails to fulfill that part in one's life.

The basis of a religion is the belief in something, but changing those beliefs to make it more appealing just seems wrong -- one could argue it seems that it doesn't make it a true religion.

This is sort of the paradox of it. One believes a religion by choice because they agree with the beliefs contained with in. Hence, people end up writing their own religion. This is obvious in contradiction to the notion of some sort of absolute God with absolute rules. Yet which denomination is the correct one, then? If one tries to mold a church towards what one believes is more correct, is that the act of finding one's faith and trying to lead the sheep* or an act of sacrilege to sanctimoniously redefine the rules to one's own desires? Personally, I don't have a good answer. I do know that definitely main religious people are seeking self-recognition more than a desire to find God, and to me that is worse than renounce a religion you don't believe in.

* This is by no means meant as an insult but a description of Jesus' position as Shepard which a church leader tends to take the mantle of.

PS - Obviously I'm speaking almost exclusive in the context of Christianity--a more Evangelical Quaker split, if curious--and can't speak personally about other denominations or religions, really, except that I see the same sorts of splits and the various culmination from a history of man that makes me deeply question any claim to the authenticity of almost all religious beliefs outside those who personally hold them.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind religion as long as others don't constantly preach it.. or constantly attemp to bring it up in coversation such as "As a christian I...." I mean seriously... how many people would be annoyed if every conversation I entered "As an Atheist..."

Now, I don't care if someone says "Have a blessed day." or "God bless you." or anything like that. That's minor stuff and I accept as them being nice. Honestly if someone said something like "Allah praise you." I wouldn't care either.

But telling me I'm going to hell for this that or the other... Or ignoring their own books... That's what annoys me about every religion.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not aware of any reason to think any gods exist, so I don't believe they do. I don't mind people's religious beliefs as long as they're not trying to impose their beliefs onto others.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Religion is a mess that has caused more problems than it has solved.
Yet if people don't believe in restrictions and therefore believe that their life is to be lived as they would have it be, then they get irresponsible and cause more chaos (generalizing here).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how religious people take any opportunity they have to bring up god or the bible when you talk to them

And how they instead of saying "goodbye" say "may god bless your day" or some other thing, really annoying if you ask me

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate how religious people take any opportunity they have to bring up god or the bible when you talk to them

And how they instead of saying "goodbye" say "may god bless your day" or some other thing, really annoying if you ask me
Better than them telling you to go fuck yourself. I hardly seeing an issue with someone being nice.

D

Deleted User

OP
There are multiple kinds of religious people. There are those that, as you describe, believe that their responsibility is to bring everybody to what they believe as the truth. There are also those who are observant and know when to bring it up and when to avoid discussing it.

If you are going to generalize at least state so.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better than them telling you to go fuck yourself. I hardly seeing an issue with someone being nice.

Or they could just give me a simple goodbye

There are multiple kinds of religious people. There are those that, as you describe, believe that their responsibility is to bring everybody to what they believe as the truth. There are also those who are observant and know when to bring it up and when to avoid discussing it.

If you are going to generalize at least state so.

Well, excuuuuuse me

Both of you missed the point

Last edited by MiguelinCrafter,
D

Deleted User

OP
Well, excuuuuuse me
You generalized, and you are excused.

You are (unreasonably) being offended by somebody being nice. The way they are raised, saying "God bless you" means more than "Goodbye". That is like saying "I hope you get a kiss tonight" is degrading, and you would rather here "Have fun on the date". One means more to the person saying it and it shows that they are involved in your situation.

Last edited by ,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Notice: This thread is about religion. This means that there will be contradicting opinions. Because this is the case, some will get frustrated and flustered. In these cases, I advise you not to post until you have collected some thoughts into a reasonable post. I also advise you not to say harmful things regarding religions unless you truly mean them.

Before posting, please note that all rules established here and here are not voided in this thread. You must follow all rules, and your post can (and most likely will) be reported if you are violating them.

With constant growth of the disbelief in God (or the belief in no God) and tensions between different religions, religion has constantly become a hot topic. Certain religions have been changing their doctrine to fit modern society to make themselves more appealing. Personally, I am not fond of this approach, because you shouldn't have to change the fundamental prospects of your religion to get somebody to join it. The basis of a religion is the belief in something, but changing those beliefs to make it more appealing just seems wrong -- one could argue it seems that it doesn't make it a true religion.

Anyways, I just want to get your opinion on what a religion and why you do(n't) follow one.
Its a Hot topic, its this and that. Always hear people saying that yet I don't see it. Someone says I believe in a religion and someone else says I don't, and thats about it. Theres no fight. Theres no huge argument where friendships are broken. So where in the hell is this coming from? Not around my area at least. People are too busy to give a shit to get into fight over this. If you loose a friendship over crap like this then you are a dumbass, and your friends are fuckin stupid. Not doubting the murders and killings over religion that happened, which is stupid as hell.

I grew up a Catholic and stopped being one in my late teens. Too many contradictions, many religions. There are over 4,200 religions. Which one do I pick? I don't have time to research and learn about all these religions to see which one is the best. God/s, if there are any out there, why don't they just come down and tell us the correct one? These God/s should know if must be difficult for us to figure out the correct religion, especially when we have to rely on ridiculously old text, without any factual evidence to point us to the right one. So they shouldn't get mad at us if we don't worship the right God. Its your damn fault for making your existence so ambiguous.

Its like a gamble basically on choosing the right religion. You have books but they can take you only so far without factual evidence. Pick one and hope if there is a God/s its not one that will punish you for picking the wrong religion. If this/these God/s does then its one of the most fucked up God/s in existence and not one I would want to worship.

So i'm agnostic, maybe there is a God/s, but until there is good evidence, or God/s themselves come down and tell us which is right, I won't waste my time on these religions and worshiping whats possibly a fake God.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: CuriousTommy

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is more to religion than believing in god really, the pattern of (almost) all major mainstream religions is that the founders faced a problem, and it needed to be fixed. I do believe in god, some form of god, I think he is a species like us who just simulated us, but then again, that still is god isn't it? What I was saying before about how founders faced problems that needed to be fixed, one example of this is Muhammad (Muslim prophet and founder). Not only did he teach his new beliefs, but didn't forget about Christianity and Judaism. Islam is like an evolution to religion (like most religions), there is nothing wrong with that though.

During his time there was a problem, alcohol consumption and killing babies (if they were girls). If he just straight up said "Guys let's not drink and kill babies anymore.", no one would've listened to him. However, according to the story him being trustworthy back then, if he decided to say he was contacted by god then people would listen to him. Because of this he stopped a lot of harmful things happening back then and fixed problems. Alcohol consumption was worse back. I am sure the other founders most likely had problems they needed to stop and used god to stop them. The point I am making is that religion is here to give us social order, of course now it's not needed with laws and everything. Back then it was very much needed, the effect is still clear today though as some Islamic people (myself included) don't drink. Drinking can be bad for you, not judging you if you do though.

As a side note about terrorist organizations, almost all major religions have had them (unfortunately christianity and islam had some of the worst ones like ISIS and the KKK). Still though that doesn't represent everyone, people need to understand that.

Not only does religion stop us from doing bad things in general, many support groups appear because of religion. While without religion there would still be support groups, the more the merrier. Religion can also teach discipline (hopefully not in a harsh way), it can very well change people. Those are my thoughts about religion, sorry if it was unorganized just putting my thoughts out there. :)

Last edited by Zero72463,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr