[DISCUSSION] Xbox One, PS4, Switch, or PC and why?

Which one?

• Xbox one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PS4

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Switch

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • PC

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Anything but WiiU

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

incidentallyscribble

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to decide on a "9th generation" console purchace, but I get there are many pros and cons of each, but which one is worth its price point most?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arguments could be made for all. A PC will give you the most bang for you buck in the long run, but its going to cost you. Depending on the hardware you purchase. You can make a decent gaming machine for 4 or 500 bucks and most games can be graphically downgraded.

The Nintendo Switch will give you the most familiar exclusives. Mario, Zelda, pokemon, pikmin etc for a cheaper price.

PS4 is basically a PC box branded with the Sony logo and gets you a bunch of weeb games and other PC ports as well as a healthy supply of indies.

XBO is kinda the same but with a more American gaming focus.

Given your name, I would suggest the Switch for you.

Reactions: Blue

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Xbox Pros: If you love Xbox first party and already own a PC, you get a copy on both platforms. Cheapest out of the consoles. Access to many 360 backwards compat games.
Halo, Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay

Cons: Hardly any exclusives anymore, most games play at 900p, Scorpio coming soon.

PS4 Pros: Has the best home console performance. Access to a number of JRPGS. Best controller this gen. Tons of exclusives.
Infamous, Bloodborne, Nioh, many more.

Cons: Loud system, very suspectible to damage and defects.

Switch Pros: Portable and console. It's where all the Nintendo games are going to be on.
Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Etc.

Cons: the most expensive price for content

PC Pros: Not just for gaming. Enough of a library to keep you occupied forever. Ability to emulate and upscale many many other systems. Best performance and visuals.

Cons: can be expensive and time consuming to build.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Once I buy the Switch, I will own all of them. Personally I will be using my Switch more for first-party games and the PS4 for games I don't have on the Switch. I am not a PC gamer because I don't like PC gaming and I hate M$ too much to actually make account on my boyfriend's Xbone.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This isn't a fair fight. It's like bringing small pebbles to a nuke fight. Consoles vs. a PC. I mean come on!

Reactions: Chary

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This isn't a fair fight. It's like bringing small pebbles to a nuke fight. Consoles vs. a PC. I mean come on!
Not everyone enjoys PC gaming. I find gaming on my PC to be extremely distracting and I can never get invested in most games on my PC. Not to mention hardware requirement is a serious bitch.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have a decent PC, ignore the Xbox One. Microsoft is moving most of their first party games to Windows 10. Let's just hope Halo follows suit.
If you don't have a decent PC, I still probably wouldn't recommend the Xbox One. Besides Quantum Break and Halo, I never touch the damn thing.

The PS4 is a great console, especially with all the PS4 Slim Bundles. Uncharted 4 is a great game. If you have a 4K TV and want some extra horse power, you can opt for the PS4 Pro, pick your poison. The PS4 has great exclusives and more are still to come! If you're fan a JRPGs, the PS4 is the system for you. And out of all current consoles (not including PCs of course), it's the most powerful.

As for the Switch, who knows. We'll have to see after launch. If you're a fan of Zelda or any Nintendo game in general, then the Switch might be worth the investment.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pc. Chary already did a great comparison on the systems. PC simply has the widest selection of games, and arguably at the cheapest prices. And depending on the situation, the cost of the rig itself shouldn't even be much more expensive than a console.

Westwoodo

Trophies
XP
Country
That depends on what type of games you want to play?

Mmo's then pc.
Mario then switch.
Sports games then ps4 or xbox one.
Halo then your choice would be xbox one.
Uncharted then it's ps4.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not everyone enjoys PC gaming. I find gaming on my PC to be extremely distracting and I can never get invested in most games on my PC. Not to mention hardware requirement is a serious bitch.
I do understand. But you can actually get a really decent PC that can max more games than the PS4 or Xbox One. I for one aren't blaming anyone who wish to use a console. But one of my friends have a decent PC (not a powerhouse) and a Steamlink to his living room. It works really well for him and his kids to play with. So there option is there as well!

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I am an all around guy. However, it truly depends on the game. PC and Console both have their amazing advantages and disadvantages.

The console merely watches movies, plays music, and plays video games. A computer, however, is an all in one system. Need I explain what a computer can do?
Personally, I love to play certain games on PC and Console. I prefer to sit back and relax when playing a game such as Just Cause 3. However, with GTA V, I enjoy playing that on my PC because I have better aim. A game such as Minecraft is mostly enjoyed on the console in my opinion. Playing Minecraft on a console seems a lot more legitimate than playing on the PC. Why is that? PC offers several mods that can speed up the process of building structures. When you play on the console version of Minecraft, you are not offered any mods to increase your building abilities. If I invited a friend over to check out my cool creation on Minecraft PS4, they might say, "You built this all by hand?", while if I showed a friend my creation on my PC, they might ask, "Oh, did you use world edit?" (world edit is a tool used to speed up building).

Like I said, it completely depends on the game. I applaud you if you understood that essay I just wrote.

Edit: You gotta admit though, you cannot beat Mario on the original console it comes with. Emulation does not feel the same. I have slowly come to realize that.

Last edited by Xanthe,

Westwoodo

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I am an all around guy. However, it truly depends on the game. PC and Console both have their amazing advantages and disadvantages.

The console merely watches movies, plays music, and plays video games. A computer, however, is an all in one system. Need I explain what a computer can do?
Personally, I love to play certain games on PC and Console. I prefer to sit back and relax when playing a game such as Just Cause 3. However, with GTA V, I enjoy playing that on my PC because I have better aim. A game such as Minecraft is mostly enjoyed on the console in my opinion. Playing Minecraft on a console seems a lot more legitimate than playing on the PC. Why is that? PC offers several mods that can speed up the process of building structures. When you play on the console version of Minecraft, you are not offered any mods to increase your building abilities. If I invited a friend over to check out my cool creation on Minecraft PS4, they might say, "You built this all by hand?", while if I showed a friend my creation on my PC, they might ask, "Oh, did you use world edit?" (world edit is a tool used to speed up building).

Like I said, it completely depends on the game. I applaud you if you understood that essay I just wrote.

Edit: You gotta admit though, you cannot beat Mario on the original console it comes with. Emulation does not feel the same. I have slowly come to realize that.
You need to stop moaning about emulation :gun:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16