Hacking [Discussion] Why Aren't There Any *Free* Backup Loaders Apps Yet?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't like how it only displays the first letter
Make the first character a space and it won't show anything on the folder. ;)

2i1BsNv.jpg

Last edited by Joom,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Then reverse how it loads cartridges and write it yourself. Point is no one wants to do it right now because it's way too much effort for little return.

It's definitely possible to do, but as he says, the return on time investment isn't really worth it.

I don't like how it only displays the first letter

Why don't you just put badges on the folder or something?

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use badges on the folders to make them a little bit nicer and I use folders to separate the games I have (Mario games in the Mario folder, Zelda games in the Zelda folder ect) so it doesn't clutter the home menu as much. If you want to use romhacks easily use hans or gateway to load the 3ds file. The issue with your "idea" is, is that there are (although some might find it slightly annoying) already ways to play 3ds games. As mentioned before, the effort is too much for too little outcome. If you really want it you can learn to program yourself ;)

tjhooker73

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be very time consuming and no developer is looking to do it right now. Maybe if they could make some money from it.

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
what did i just read
HBL is opensource and doesn't have anything to do with rom loading
we're using cias because it's the most "native" way to do it, and the fastest way, especially for loading times and difficulty of implementation (and sd space waste); and i'll let you know that the wii had WADs too.
if you really want that, just buy a gatebrick or a sky3ds already
(and try to at least read on how stuff works before making assumptions like that too)

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the largest i've ever installed (several gb) took less than 30 minutes. maybe you just need a faster sd card.

let me tell you a story about dial-up.

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit down man
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a thing called Broadband.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't think one exist because there's no reason for it. Sure, it takes a long time to install a CIA, but CIA's are a lot smaller than .3DS files. Which honestly, I would rather take the longer wait time over trying to manage oversized rom files.
You can also install CIA's directly to the homescreen, something I don't think you can do with .3DS files. Which means that not only are they larger, but you would need another application to launch them. It's just seems silly when you can just install a cia and launch that directly from your homescreen.
There's also apps like Freeshop that install games directly from Nintendo.
All and all, it's just redundant when you have better options that take up far less space.

RyDog

Lazy Animal Crossing hacks
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because CIAS are more convenient?
Well flashcarts are more convenient but they're expensive.
I just wanted to know if this was possible, I never said I was going to make it.
Plus, I'm happy with what I have, it'd be interesting if this could be done but it doesn't change anything if nobody makes it.

Reactions: tbb043

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I just wanted to know if this was possible, I never said I was going to make it.
Plus, I'm happy with what I have, it'd be interesting if this could be done but it doesn't change anything if nobody makes it.
flashcarts are not more convenient at all? why would you say they are? in what way are they better? other than cheats which is possible on CFW too. or was at least.

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

If flashcarts are more convenient than the HOME menu, you're doing it wrong. I don't know what you're doing wrong, but you're doing it wrong.

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
flashcarts are not more convenient at all? why would say they are?
You just drag and drop a rom and you can plug it into your 3DS to play it. That's more convenient than waiting for a .cia to install + the download time/transfer time to SD Card.

Reactions: tbb043
D

Deleted User

As the title says: How come the free only way to play "backups" are to install them as a cia on a cfw?
How come there isn't a SDLoaderGX or something like that yet? I'm not complaining that there isn't one, but to think how far 3DS hacking has gone, someone hasn't reverse engineered HBL or something to load .3ds files instead of .3dsx. That would be so awesome if it's possible so that we don't clutter our home screen with all our apps. Also, it'd be just like Gateway/Sky3ds so that you don't have to either download the file from Nintendo's servers or download the .cia from a site and then install it for a long time.
Actually, that isn't bad.
It could be like OPL on PS2. Have all of your Roms in a folder like "3DROMS", and when ds rom loader becomes a thing, have a folder called "DSROMS".
And have options like, different methods of reading Roms, and regions.
And for ds, have an option to save games files to a folder.
Not bad of an idea, right?

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, that isn't bad.
It could be like OPL on PS2. Have all of your Roms in a folder like "3DROMS", and when ds rom loader becomes a thing, have a folder called "DSROMS".
And have options like, different methods of reading Roms, and regions.
And for ds, have an option to save games files to a folder.
Not bad of an idea, right?

You underestimate the work involved in such a thing.

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You underestimate the work involved in such a thing.
someone will eventually do it. Just like how we said streaming to PC was never possible, and playing NDS backups will never be possible. It's a lot of hard work but there will be a developer that will pop up out of nowhere and release it. Someone may already be working on this for all we know.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I thought a long time ago about this too, but I realized that the 3ds doesn't need any redirection in order to play "backups", on the Wii there wasn't a convenient way to play our backups, so people created some loaders to make that work, anyway since the 3ds didn't have a kind of boot mii from start it needed an emunand. in conclusion the hacking scene evolves according to necessities and other stuff

RyDog

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought a long time ago about this too, but I realized that the 3ds doesn't need any redirection in order to play "backups", on the Wii there wasn't a convenient way to play our backups, so people created some loaders to make that work, anyway since the 3ds didn't have a kind of boot mii from start it needed an emunand. in conclusion the hacking scene evolves according to necessities and other stuff
We technically have boot mii now (arm9loaderhax)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn