[Discussion] Why Aren't There Any *Free* Backup Loaders Apps Yet?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RyDog, Jun 15, 2016.

1. RyDog
    OP

RyDog Lazy Animal Crossing hacker

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    As the title says: How come the free only way to play "backups" are to install them as a cia on a cfw?
    How come there isn't a SDLoaderGX or something like that yet? I'm not complaining that there isn't one, but to think how far 3DS hacking has gone, someone hasn't reverse engineered HBL or something to load .3ds files instead of .3dsx. That would be so awesome if it's possible so that we don't clutter our home screen with all our apps. Also, it'd be just like Gateway/Sky3ds so that you don't have to either download the file from Nintendo's servers or download the .cia from a site and then install it for a long time.

2. lexluth0r

lexluth0r GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Why don't you learn programming and contribute to the scene?

Wafflepaint, Zidapi, Drakia and 36 others like this.
  3. Exavold

Exavold lol

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    lol
    I wish I could like this post 24 times.

yuyuyup and kprovost7314 like this.
  4. lexluth0r

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Not saying I know anything about programming... But seeing these posts over and over again seem kinda redundant

5. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    I was expecting this question. I want to know if it's even possible first... I barely know how the 3DS works

6. lexluth0r

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Then I would suggest reading forum posts that discuss the handhelds architecture

7. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    HBL has a feature where you can select the game you want to play (use region free to see what I mean) If you're deadset on wanting them all in one place use that to launch your game

8. ldeveraux

ldeveraux GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2007
    United States
    You don't learn anything by asking questions (on GBAtemp)

MartinDocNewland likes this.
  9. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well, if that does not exist (yet?), there's a reason. Here, the reason is probably because it would be either useless, not convenient, or too time consuming to develop.

Tony_93 and gnmmarechal like this.
  10. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    No, that's for launching games you already have installed/inserted into the console. What I mean is instead of HBL launching .3dsx, there should be a way for it to launch .3ds since we have kernel access on CFW so you don't have to install .cia's

11. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    So a rom loader like gateway? If you already have CFW why not just install the CIA at that point? It's going to take up the same amount of space

12. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    Yes, but if this is developed then you don't need to install the .cia to your console, rather just drag and drop the .3ds. It's kinda like why install arm9loaderhax if I'm already happy with menuhax? It'd be easier and faster to play games.

Garou and yuyuyup like this.
  13. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    That's the part I don't understand. You can drag and drop CIAs as well if you use socketpunch to install them.

14. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    The .cia install takes forever, where dragging and dropping the .3ds is as fast as your SD card write speed.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  15. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    It'd be a time consuming and difficult task and would probably end up requiring a bunch of different hacks to work for certain games, it's a lot of effort when the 3DS already has flawless support for SD loading via CIA. I really doubt anyone is going to bother going through all the trouble for the sake of a small convenience.

yuyuyup likes this.
  16. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Yes, but if you want to test a romhack while developping it for example, you're forced to install and uninstall the CIA every time you want to test it.
    As I said, there's also probably a good reason that explains why it hasn't been developed yet. Maybe it's also because when the 3DS want to load a .3ds file, it expects it to be loaded from the cartridge slot, and editing that would require a lot of RE.

17. RyDog
    OP

Apr 26, 2015
    United States
    Yeah you're probably right. But what I don't get is how does hans work for rom hacks? When you load a rom hack, you can safely pull out your game cart without the 3DS yelling at you to put it back in, so HANS obviously has access to redirect the rom to the sd card. (not sure if this is useful though)

18. astronautlevel

astronautlevel The Young Descendent of Tepes

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    That Nightly Site™
    Because no one would want to do the RE when CIAs exist.

nxwing, warmo161, gnmmarechal and 4 others like this.
  19. PabloMK7

PabloMK7 Red Yoshi! ^ω^

Feb 21, 2014
    Spain
    Yoshi's Island
    Hans needs the title to be installed, you can remove the card because the code and exheader are copied to the ram. As other people said, making such a hack is not worth it, since cia installing have more advantages and is easier. If you want to test rom hacks, then use layeredfs with NTR CFW

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  20. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    You know you can create folders on the home screen, right? Then you have them all in one convenient place just like you're wanting.

astronautlevel likes this.