[Discussion] what was your 1st and your favorite linux distro

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First: Fedora. Had to use it for a college class involving virtual machines, back when Vista was still a thing and 7 wasn't even hinted.
Favorite: Split between Ubuntu and CentOS. They both have their own cons and pros, but at least they get the job done. Others that fall afterwards are Kali, Caine, and Qubes.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
FIrst: Ubuntu. Back then, it was one of the few where you could easily install proprietary codes (and the whole OS in general).
Favourite: Manjaro KDE. Arch meets easy installation and kernel switching, automatic hardware detection, kernel tweaks and more! With IMO the best package manager, even more stability testing on packages (while still remaining rolling) and the best KDE integration I've seen, what more could you want?

Last edited by SomeGamer,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My first was Ubuntu 11.04, back in 2010 (I think?) when it came out. Heard about that fancy Linux thing, had some PCs to test stuff around on and just decided to give it a go. I still have the ISO I used from back then on my external HDD, it managed to survive these last 8-9 years throughout all my storage upgrades.

My favorite these days is Linux Mint, just because it's an overall nice feeling distro. Got it installed as my main OS on my work laptop and as a secondary work OS for my personal laptop, in case I need to do work stuff when my other PCs aren't available.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First: Ubuntu, I don't remember which version exactly but it was back in the GNOME 2 days. I mostly tried it out of curiosity back then.

Favourite (and current main OS): Debian. It's lighter than Ubuntu out of the box, has a nice balance between autoconfiguration/minimalism and, last but not least, runs on virtually anything.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

SuSE Linux 6.0

It was fun and interesting.A time where only Windows 98 & NT PCs around.I remember after work we are a group of 3,sitting the whole night together and installed it on Windows 98 Pcs.:P

For me i don´t use it at home because i only gaming on PC.Later i´ve lost interest on it.:blush:

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some 2003 version of Knoppix, with KDE 3 as default - on cd-rom from a computer magazine, of course

Later I used Ubuntu Intrepid (golden age of said consumer distro - on the other hand the then ubiquiutous Intel 4965 wifi card was considered a poor choice for non-Windows use) then Debian Testing until 2013 or so, when I stopped having interest & free time for being a full time nerd and also started using more Windows-exclusive software

Good coincidence it was, since most distros started falling for gratuitous changes (you know what this means) mostly aimed at multi-human-user use cases and forcing them on users with no immediately viable alternative; nowadays I can't appreciate anything that's not Devuan (with the same caveats as in the previous paragraph, but at least I can mostly apply my last decade's knowledge directly)

Reactions: yukivulpes

yukivulpes

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Ryccardo What I don’t get is the whole “Linux will be big on the general desktop one day” BS that some people are optimistic for forever to happen.

Problem is, Linux will never move out of the “tech” field because of the fact that the average consumer does not nowadays want to tweak and mess around with things too much for hours and doesn’t have time for things like self-compilation, debugging... they just want something that’ll work out of the box and that is never going to happen as far as Linux distributions are concerned.

Proprietary developers know how to cater to the average end user, open source developers typically design based on a more skilled user set, and leave ease of use as an afterthought, and this will always be the case sadly.

The whole reason for this post I made is that you mentioned systemd and a multi-user OS. Linux is typically and probably always will be used by people who don’t share a computer.

I’m likely misunderstanding something but my point still stands. Linux is okay and is probably better for those willing to take the time to use and tweak around with it and expect failures, and this situation will likely never change for the foreseeable future at least.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My first Linux distro was Ubuntu 8.04, personal favorite was Fedora 14 and then Fuduntu since it was a fork of Fedora 14. My current personal favorite is Solus Linux and it's what I have been running for about 2 years (on and off.) I haven't used Windows since the early stages of Windows Vista.

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just use debian testing with i3. Gives me recent packages and a decent environment for the stuff I do without much trouble, plus most people use something based on debian which makes me somewhat more used to whatever I end up needing to fix. I installed Q4OS on most of my family's PCs and also have some machines on lakka, coreELEC, raspbian and whatnot.
I don't have favorites these days. Used to care about privacy but most stuff is already backdoored on hardware level. I am however VERY interested in GuixSD, awesome concept but haven't had luck with it yet.

unlink2

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My first distro was Kubuntu (can't remember if 8.04 or 8.10) and of course my favorite changes based on the distro I use most. Currently that's Manjaro which has given me a nice mix of being on arch without having to bother with installing arch (call me lazy if you will).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse