• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[Discussion+Poll] How are Trump supporters even a thing?

Poll: Possible Reasons?

• They're Faking It

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • They're ignorant

Votes: 34 56.7%
  • They're awful people in general

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • They're racist/misogynistic/homophobic

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • I genuinely support Trump because I'm a horrible person

Votes: 13 21.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really have a hard time understanding why they still exist.
Seriously, I have a whole list of reasons why you shouldn't support him.

• He's racist
  • He wants to build an expensive and ultimately useless wall that nobody is going to pay for (former mexican presidents and mexican politicians have all said no.)
  • He's misogynistic (proven MULTIPLE times)
  • He's against gay marriage
  • He wants to revive the coal industry (for what coal?)
  • He wants to remove the department of education.
  • He's pro-life, which is a very dangerous quality to have as president, especially when you consider the victims of sexual assault and incest, especially children and the sick, who could die trying to finish a pregnancy, and abortion is a much, much, safer option.
  • He's against clean sources of energy for stupid reasons.
  • He thinks global warming is a conspiracy
  • The list goes on!
I honestly don't understand how you could possibly support him! If you have a legitimate answer from a decent person why he would be a good president, please comment below! But I don't think you can.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's already a discussion and poll on the 2016 U.S. Presidential Election here. Your poll question is also pretty loaded.

Pikm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO, prolife is good. If you will die having a child, let the child live for you. Why kill your baby. Trump suck, yes. But abortion is wrong
Having a child "live for you" isn't good. The child will probably live a horrible life considering they will start it out without a family and they will probably carry that burden of never knowing their parents for the rest of their life. That alone could be a source of serious depression, or even worse. Besides, the golden rule of abortion; If it's not your body, it's not your god damn choice. And preventing people from doing what they want with their own body sounds awfully cruel doesn't it?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds more like an argument against abortion to me. The foetus isn't choosing to be aborted - that decision is made by somebody else.
A fetus lacks the capacity to make choices because it lacks sentience as much as a tree does. Even if a fetus were as sentient as you or me, a woman still has a right to bodily autonomy.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
A fetus lacks the capacity to make choices because it lacks sentience as much as a tree does.
Do you have evidence for that?

Even if a fetus were as sentient as you or me, a woman still has a right to bodily autonomy.
I realise that is the legal standpoint (in some places). I don't happen to agree with it, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the argument that "if it's not your body, it's not your choice" should go both ways. We don't get to kill babies because they aren't able to say "ok, I'd rather die". We assume they want to live until they can make their own choice about it.

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Having a child "live for you" isn't good. The child will probably live a horrible life considering they will start it out without a family and they will probably carry that burden of never knowing their parents for the rest of their life. That alone could be a source of serious depression, or even worse. Besides, the golden rule of abortion; If it's not your body, it's not your god damn choice. And preventing people from doing what they want with their own body sounds awfully cruel doesn't it?
but if it's in your body you've got a choice, each girl female should have the choice what goes in to her body and what not you know!

Pikm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds more like an argument against abortion to me. The foetus isn't choosing to be aborted - that decision is made by somebody else.
You could make the same argument about a parasite, but are we going to make antibiotics illegal? I don't think so.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but if it's in your body you've got a choice, each girl female should have the choice what goes in to her body and what not you know!
You make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I support Trump.
Why?
Cause I want to laugh, see if he makes a bigger mess then Bush did.

In all seriousness, I cbf with it.
Glad I live in Europe I guess...

Reactions: ihaveahax

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could make the same argument about a parasite, but are we going to make antibiotics illegal? I don't think so.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

try to think like it's your body, if some one puts something in there that you didn't like... you wanna get it removed right? the same goes for abortion.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
The obvious difference being that a parasite or an infection is an intruder which will harm the host, whereas a foetus is an organism which is supposed to exist within the host as part of the normal reproductive process. I don't think you can conflate the two. Also, a foetus is human - it will develop into a person, so the ethical question of 'should we kill a foetus' is completely different to 'should we kill a virus' or 'should we kill a tapeworm'.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Pikm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I support Trump.
Why?
Cause I want to laugh, see if he makes a bigger mess then Bush did.

In all seriousness, I cbf with it.
Glad I live in Europe I guess...
Well that falls under not legitimately supporting him (people actually seriously support him in the u.s.). But, you do live in europe so it's not like you can vote for him!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have evidence for that?
I'm not going to go back and post all the research here, but if you research brain development in fetuses, brain activity in fetuses, fetal pain, prenatal perception, etc., you will see that there's a consensus of around 20-25 weeks as the age in which a fetus begins to have anything we could call real brain activity. A lot of experts on the topic of fetal pain typically throw around the number of 24-25 weeks.

I realise that is the legal standpoint (in some places). I don't happen to agree with it, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the argument that "if it's not your body, it's not your choice" should go both ways. We don't get to kill babies because they aren't able to say "ok, I'd rather die". We assume they want to live until they can make their own choice about it.
A woman has a right to bodily autonomy as much as a hypothetically sentient fetus does. However, a right to bodily autonomy does not extend to a right to someone else's body. You've made a false comparison.

The obvious difference being that a parasite or an infection is an intruder which will harm the host, whereas a foetus is an organism which is supposed to exist within the host as part of the normal reproductive process. I don't think you can conflate the two. Also, a foetus is human - it will develop into a person, so the ethical question of 'should we kill a foetus' is completely different to 'should we kill a virus' or 'should we kill a tapeworm'.
A woman can, for many reasons, see a fetus as comparable to a parasite. In can be unwanted and cause anything between mild to lethal harm.

Last edited by Lacius,

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saying a fetus is a person is like saying a seed is a tree. If you dig up a seed, would you say thats cutting down a tree?

Reactions: Lacius

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not going to go back and post all the research here, but if you research brain development in fetuses, brain activity in fetuses, fetal pain, prenatal perception, etc., you will see that there's a consensus of around 20-25 weeks as the age in which a fetus begins to have anything we could call real brain activity. A lot of experts on the topic of fetal pain typically throw around the number of 24-25 weeks.
You said it is as sentient as a tree. That's what I want evidence for. Also, how about potential? It will be sentient at some point. Do you not see any value in that?

A woman has a right to bodily autonomy as much as a hypothetically sentient fetus does. However, a right to bodily autonomy does not extend to a right to someone else's body. You've made a false comparison.
No, I've made the same point you have: "a right to bodily autonomy does not extend to a right to someone else's body". Yet despite that, it's ok to kill an unborn child? That seems like a pretty significant infringement of the rights of someone else's body to me.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • He wants to build an expensive and ultimately useless wall that nobody is going to pay for (former mexican presidents and mexican politicians have all said no.)
That's not entirely true, PikM. My campaign also appealed to the poor... who were too stupid to understand what I'm saying, so I held up pretty pictures and then I gave out candy bars to appeal to their most base insticts.

What does the rest of the world have to tell us about how to do things? Build more trains? Have people elect their leader rather than an elite electoral college? Ride a bike to work like a girl scout or a clown with dietary concerns? No thanks, Vladmire.

I honestly don't understand how you could possibly support him!

Well... I'm afraid that's apparently quite a difficult question, but my solution is easy. I'm going to talk for a long time about a subject not in anyway related and pretty soon people will forget about it.

I'll remind people that I have a great haircut, and under my stewardship The Trump Organization has had, on average, 15% better weather than before, while crime rates only go up if you don't turn the graph upside down. Turn it upside down, and they have halved- HALVED under me, Donald Trump.

Vote Trump for president and you'll have a friendly face in the White House. A man you can trust. A local man who likes golf, and laughing, and photo opportunities at your store or place of business.Just send me a letter. I'll send you an automated, photocopied response. We call it "democracy" and that's where the money goes.

Everyone knows politicians lie and steal and cheat, but at least with me in charge, you know I look good and I have a very supercilious manner. Besides which, I've been abroad and I prefer it here because I'm a man of the people.

Vote Trump! You'll get richer and you won't feel guilty about it!

Nge64F2.jpg

Last edited by Pluupy,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1