Gaming [Discussion] Paper Mario: The Origami King

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Now that the game is leaked, I figured it was time for a discussion thread so people can share their thoughts, post screenshots, ask questions and so on.

Remember to use spoiler tags where appropriate.

My first impressions are, it seems promising. Seems like they did away with the level select and numbered levels, which can only be a good thing, as I felt that was holding back Sticker Star and Color Splash. And the battle system is as expected a lot closer to the original, but different enough to feel new, and thanks to the new mechanics, every battle feels slightly different, even against the same enemies.

I haven't had a chance to play it that much yet so it remains to be seen if there will be in-depth story but I'm hopeful.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Alsusee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really really hope is will be as good as the Wii one. I haven't played any Paper Mario games since then but have heard they were not as good as they should have been

Justin20020

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I already played it but its the second paper mario title for me. I played in the past the Wii title there without that battle system in the current game. Its okay and easy to get into the game and the story

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I would like the slide puzzle thing a lot more if it didn't just show you the correct arrangement at the start. So far my experience with the combat has been that every enemy just dies in one hit with the attack bonus, even if you mess up the timing, and you are always given enough free actions that you can clear every enemy without them getting a chance to attack.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A discussion at https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._mario_origami_king_does_have_progression_im/ provides much more information about growth and progression; it helped me considerably.
I think I would like the slide puzzle thing a lot more if it didn't just show you the correct arrangement at the start. So far my experience with the combat has been that every enemy just dies in one hit with the attack bonus, even if you mess up the timing, and you are always given enough free actions that you can clear every enemy without them getting a chance to attack.
I've been reading elsewhere that in later parts of the game, this kind of stuff will eventually stop (showing the solution at start), as part of increasing the difficulty as players progress, also including throwing more kinds of (challenging) enemies at once in battles and more complex arrangements. There likely will be a challenge later on, but it hasn't been often shown in order to minimize spoilers until release day.

Reactions: TheCasualties
D

Deleted User

they don't on later battles, first couple of battles in first area they do

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So far, the game is surprisingly good. The puzzles do get pretty challenging, combat is okay... weapons break, but if your paying attention to enemy health, you'll be fine. (any gear that isn't base gear breaks. normal hammer and boots don't break)

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
they don't on later battles, first couple of battles in first area they do

So far, the game is surprisingly good. The puzzles do get pretty challenging, combat is okay... weapons break, but if your paying attention to enemy health, you'll be fine. (any gear that isn't base gear breaks. normal hammer and boots don't break)
I wanna believe you, but my heart has been hurt before

D

Deleted User

I wanna believe you, but my heart has been hurt before
completely fair, a lot of paper mario fans have distrust in this game. And I am not going to say it's going to blow your socks off. But the game, is a lot better than color splash and sticker star, which is a welcome change. If color splash was mediocre (not good, not horrible) treat origami king as junk food. it's good, but you shouldn't be eating it/playing it for very long amounts of time(unless you like puzzles (6+ hours in one go long) It's DEFINITELY a step in the right direction.
There is a VERY interesting thing that does happen that I was not expecting story wise.
Bomby, or the bomb-bomb, blows itself up, and dies. Just dies. No come back to life. Just dies. And then briefly comes back as a spirt telling you to help Oliva move on, and then never to be seen again. I was not expecting this mature theme He also has some history, that is told. But it's not as detailed as previous partners. Basically on a cruse ship, cruse ship get's invaded. also his friend died at one point, so he kept his fuse, and then used said fuse to blow up to help Oliva, since she was crushed by a boulder

it's a lot more consistently good, than it is bad. Both combat, and story.

Last edited by ,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Played it a few more hours today. That first boss was pretty awesome.
I have to say though, it's feeling more like a Mario & Luigi game than a Paper Mario one. The battle gimmick and boss battles are exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from a Mario & Luigi game. And the way areas are laid out, the puzzles and progression remind me of Mario & Luigi as well. I guess it makes sense when the Mario & Luigi series kind of took the place of Paper Mario after TTYD that some of the things you'd expect from that series would be brought over now that the Mario & Luigi series might well be dead, or at least will never be the way it was.
That's not all bad though, Mario & Luigi is much closer to the Paper Mario we know and love than whatever Sticker Star and Color Splash were. But it's still not exactly the Paper Mario we know and love. The RPG mechanics are mostly missing. It's not quite a replacement for the RPG style of old school Paper Mario. I still want them to make more games with that style, but I see no reason why the old and new styles can't coexist.

All that being said, it's pretty great so far and I'm liking it more and more. Some of my worries based on the trailers have been appeased, mainly related to Things and bosses. Some of you might guess what part(s) of the trailers I'm referring to.

I didn't even finish Color Splash but I think I'll finish this one in no time, kinda getting hooked. If Color Splash eventually gets ported to the Switch I will probably have another go at finishing that as well.
After a while, it stops showing you. And I've encountered a bunch of enemies that don't die in one hit by now. Paragoombas for example. I'm not that far in yet so they'll only become more common.
I absolutely agree with you.
Super paper mario is my favorite game from the paper mario series.
Super Paper Mario is the one I've played the most because it's easy to pick up and play and not too long. TTYD is still my favorite, but Super Paper Mario gets 2nd.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Lazlo52

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Loving the game. :D
Feels like a work of love.

Levels feel polished, exploring is rewarding, funny dialogues, seems like its going to be a good adventure game.

Theres no numbers piling to a level up like in a nineties game, but overall the sensation of progression is present.

Haters gonna hate, even without trying the game and with very limited information... Try it for yourself. ;)

Last edited by frankGT,
D

Deleted User

Loving the game. :D
Feels like a work of love.

Levels feel polished, exploring is rewarding, funny dialogues, seems like its going to be a good adventure game.

Theres no numbers piling to a level up like in a nineties game, but overall the sensation of progression is present.
so... level up systems are nineties? Um... No. that is... sir there is so many things wrong with that statement. They are pretty timeless, it's just how some people design systems.

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The more i explore the more I'm appreciating the level design.

The game is so much more than the combat.

Last edited by frankGT,

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that the game is leaked, I figured it was time for a discussion thread so people can share their thoughts, post screenshots, ask questions and so on.

Remember to use spoiler tags where appropriate.

My first impressions are, it seems promising. Seems like they did away with the level select and numbered levels, which can only be a good thing, as I felt that was holding back Sticker Star and Color Splash. And the battle system is as expected a lot closer to the original, but different enough to feel new, and thanks to the new mechanics, every battle feels slightly different, even against the same enemies.

I haven't had a chance to play it that much yet so it remains to be seen if there will be in-depth story but I'm hopeful.
I just recently replayed through the entire series from 64 to color splash and I have to say TOK is great not amazing but great. The game obviously still has quite a few flaws though the most annoying of which seem to have been fixed since color splash. There is still no incentive to battle which is probably the biggest issue with the game. other than that though it genuinely is a fun experience. they finally are adding a small bit more strategy and got rid of the consumable attacks. and thank god are at least trying to have more of a story even if it still is a little lacking. I have personally not fished the game yet but I feel like this will be a game I will want to replay at a later date.

Anybody know how to recover bomb-omb after he falls off the bridge?
hes by the bench at the bottom of the field

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.