Homebrew [DISCUSSION] New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI)

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Download Beta 27
Be sure to read the OP disclaimer below first.

NSUI-Beta.png

Before you ask, this is not the official release thread of New Super Ultimate Injector. This is just a temporary discussion thread involving the current betas of the program. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to comment here. Issues with your NSUI beta? Go ahead, ask here and note the version of your beta. Once NSUI is officially released, this thread can be locked and/or moved.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own NSUI. @Asdolo is the original author of the program. I am not attempting advertisement, piracy, plagiarism or copyright infringement.

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
nice one, will check it later
Thanks. Just to be sure, the application belongs to Asdolo, not me.
By the way, I just want to know which NSUI emulator is better for playing GBA VC injects: AGB_FIRM or RetroArch?

AGB_FIRM:
  • Runs GBA software at 100% full speed and compatibility on all 3DS models
  • Able to resize gameplay to original resolution by holding START and/or SELECT during boot
  • Able to choose ghosting and darkness filters manually when building forwarder(s)
  • Supports sleep and hard-reset patches
  • Doesn't support Restore Points or Suspend Points
  • Doesn't run on 3DS native mode, like TWL_FIRM
  • Doesn't support custom screen size
  • Doesn't support button remapping
  • Doesn't support rewind feature
RetroArch emulators (gpSP, mGBA):
  • Runs on 3DS native mode, like original GB/GBC/NES/SNES VC
  • Supports Restore Points and Suspend Points
  • Able to choose screen size manually when building forwarder(s)
  • Supports button remapping
  • Supports rewind feature
  • Supports changeable bottom screen picture
  • Some games may not work properly
  • Only recommended for New 3DS/New 3DS XL/New 2DS XL (especially when using rewind)

Reactions: champsblinder02

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks interesting. Recently i've been into injecting games on my Wii U and was thinking on doing some GBA injects for my 3DS.

Reactions: CatmanFan

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, I just want to know which NSUI emulator is better for playing GBA VC injects: AGB_FIRM or RetroArch?

Although I'm sure they exist, on a 2dsxl, I haven't yet found a GBA rom that consistently runs fullspeed in mGBA or gPSP w/out dynarec, and with dynarec you get frequent crashes. With not-fullspeed comes either audio glitches or frameskip in mGBA (gPSP/retroarch has no option), so I find myself forced to use AGB_FIRM for a better experience.

AGB_FIRM in theory should also have less input lag and use far less battery, seeing as it isn't emulating the main processors.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody tried making the .cia file with version 1.5 of Super Mario Land 2 DX? All I get is a white screen.

Edit: I tried version 1.5.1 now. Still white screen.

Last edited by MushGuy,
Reactions: CatmanFan

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody tried making the .cia file with version 1.5 of Super Mario Land 2 DX? All I get is a white screen.

Edit: I tried version 1.5.1 now. Still white screen.

It didn't work for me either.

Back when version 1 first dropped I renamed the patched ROM's .gb extension to .gbc and it worked fine. This was using the stand alone gbc injector. Version 1.5.0 didn't work for me using this method via the gbc or Super Ultimate injectors - though it seemed to boot okay using Gambatte so it's rather mysterious.

RandomMan25XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inject Super Mario Land 2 DX into GBC VC in beta 27 of NSUI and it'll work, literally just did that and it works, as for Famicom Disk System games, if injected into VirtuaNES there's an option in the VC menu to flip the disk

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. This is wonderful. I will check in it and try injecting instead of emulating.
theres pros n' cons to both , Specifically to GBA Emulation will have Higher compatibility and no real save issues and no usage of the Home Menu title limit, where injects if its within range of compatibility usally run Bug free near Accurate and much smoother experience than an Emulator just minus the bells n whistles (and cheats... and proper savestates) the biggest downsides to say GBA Injects is if you dont be careful how you return to 3DS mode out of GBA Mode, Kiss your Save goodbye. and Save compatibility (AGB_FIRM doesnt have the broad range of Compatibility due to it was never Designed to past the Ambassador titles) aaand each inject takes a Space from total list of titles.

If you want to be lazy, If an injector makes say an SNES inject but more encapsulates it w/ SNES9X for O3DS,/ Compatibility isnt a concern (as your games listed,) then stick w/ an inject, otherwise mix n match between Emulation and Inject

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
theres pros n' cons to both , Specifically to GBA Emulation will have Higher compatibility and no real save issues and no usage of the Home Menu title limit, where injects if its within range of compatibility usally run Bug free near Accurate and much smoother experience than an Emulator just minus the bells n whistles (and cheats... and proper savestates) the biggest downsides to say GBA Injects is if you dont be careful how you return to 3DS mode out of GBA Mode, Kiss your Save goodbye. and Save compatibility (AGB_FIRM doesnt have the broad range of Compatibility due to it was never Designed to past the Ambassador titles) aaand each inject takes a Space from total list of titles.

If you want to be lazy, If an injector makes say an SNES inject but more encapsulates it w/ SNES9X for O3DS,/ Compatibility isnt a concern (as your games listed,) then stick w/ an inject, otherwise mix n match between Emulation and Inject
Wow... that is....... discouraging. LOL.

Anyway. I just want to try this out. I have few VC and it works well but i use mGBA and it supported almost every game i throw at it. No real issues so far. Snes9x as well.

Wacko22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the biggest downsides to say GBA Injects is if you dont be careful how you return to 3DS mode out of GBA Mode, Kiss your Save goodbye.

Do you have any examples of this flaky behavior? I mean, unplugging the battery might cause a problem, but just going back to the menu or even shutting down with the power button seems to work fine on my end. Maybe there were more problems when games weren't assigned the proper save type in the footer?

Last edited by Wacko22,

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any examples of this flaky behavior? I mean, unplugging the battery might cause a problem, but just going back to the menu or even shutting down with the power button seems to work fine on my end. Maybe there were more problems when games weren't assigned the proper save type in the footer?
it was heavily prevlent before Luma 7, before Firm Reboot s were really handled much better, and a Major issue (and i belive it may *Still be* for Emunand users. primarily because on Firm Exit AGB_FIRM (which is GBA Mode) Writes active save memory to NAND. if powers lost/Crash/Lockup before it Flushes Save to NAND, PFFT. Gone. (so in essence its kinda still is an issue for non Emunand users only on Crash/power loss) on exiting AGB_FIRM to 3DS Mode, it Does this(this is why pressing Home-Exit Works w/o fail, but Not when powers lost by Battery fail (no power) Fail to wake up (not an issue for @DS users for the obvious reasons) Crash (Game Compatibility or Issue w/ Romhack) the conditions that GBA VC Save is lost shouldn't Occur *Normally* (if your using Emunand you should boot to Sysnand on exit rather than going right back to Emunand. but in this time of B9S near-perfection, How stable Luma is now adays, theres No rhyme or reason to be using emunand unless your a developer and working on a homebrew tool that messes w/ NAND.))

https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console#NAND_Savegame

Reactions: Hopalongtom

E-Block

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to make my GBA injections look as "official" as possible (as in closest looking to the official ambassador games)... Does anybody happen to know what nintendo's default values are for the dark filter and ghosting options? Thanks!

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to make my GBA injections look as "official" as possible (as in closest looking to the official ambassador games)... Does anybody happen to know what nintendo's default values are for the dark filter and ghosting options? Thanks!
you can pick apart the Ambassador titles for the values, they should be easy to find (freeshop and "That ISO Site" )

Wacko22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There are a few different values that are used:

Ghosting:

0xC0:
Fire Emblem and the Sacred Stones, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
0x90: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, Wario Land 4, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
0x80: Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

Those are the values directly in the code.bin. Lower values = more ghosting, which NSUI flips. So to convert a GBA VC ghosting value to NSUI's number, convert the value to decimal and subtract it from 255.

Well, in theory, but currently in NSUI everything is shifted, for example if you use the max 254 it sets 0x00 instead of 0x01. So right now you would instead subtract from 254.

So, to set the above ghosting values in current NSUI, the decimal values you would use are: 62, 110, 126 (respectively)
If this behavior is fixed, then the values will be: 63, 111, 127

Dark Filter:

"Strong dark filter":
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
"Soft dark filter": Fire Emblem and the Sacred Stones, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Metroid Fusion, The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
"Middle dark filter" (not currently in NSUI): Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Wario Land 4, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$

Last edited by Wacko22,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s