Hacking [Discussion] How much better do GameCube games on vWii over HDMI look compared to Wii with component

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been thinking about this for a very long time now and I want to know if the visual quality of gamecube games on the WiiU's vWii over HDMI with Nintendont is actually all that much better than the same game played on a real Wii over component cable with Nintendont. I want to spend some time and money hacking a few ultimate consoles but I wonder if the expense of a WiiU over a Wii is worth it as far as Wii and Gamecube games are concerned.

My intuition says that HDMI will look a lot better even at the same low resolutions, but I don't know maybe it's the case that the official component cable gives more vibrant colors or whatever.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about this for a very long time now and I want to know if the visual quality of gamecube games on the WiiU's vWii over HDMI with Nintendont is actually all that much better than the same game played on a real Wii over component cable with Nintendont. I want to spend some time and money hacking a few ultimate consoles but I wonder if the expense of a WiiU over a Wii is worth it as far as Wii and Gamecube games are concerned.

My intuition says that HDMI will look a lot better even at the same low resolutions, but I don't know maybe it's the case that the official component cable gives more vibrant colors or whatever.
On my tv it looks nicer because the default component/composite upscaler is garbage, but afaik the Wii u upscales internally before sending out to hdmi. Plus its easier to capture with modern capture cards (most of which are dropping everything but hdmi). And comparing direct captures from both the Wii and Wii u the Wii u over hdmi does look nicer. Not by a huge amount but better.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought so. I guess in the long run modding a bunch of WiiUs makes more sense anyway, but they are still quite expensive and original Wiis can be had almost for free. Official component cable on the other hand is quite rare.

Last edited by LoggerMan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1