[Discussion] How does one keep motivation?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by BurningDesire, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BurningDesire
    OP

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    So I have had a serious lack in motivation as of lately. Here are some projects I worked on.

[Create a app to track user data and change location on a map] - Finished app but gave up after trying to switch the status due to lack of motivation

[Create a Anime Streaming app for Apple TV] - lost motivation after 2 days because I didn't know anything + lack of motivation

[Level Design in unity] - got pretty far actually but gave up after land scape to to lack of motivation

Anyway. how can I keep motivation to finish things I like to do? I haven't finish anything id quite some time because of this.

2. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    Remember why you started it in the first place; imagine how proud you will feel after it's done. I recently finished the first chapter of my book after thinking about it for a few years and that gave me motivation to keep going.

BurningDesire likes this.
  3. VinsCool

VinsCool Detached from Reality

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Never giving up! And only seeing good things. That works well for me.

4. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    Motivation is fleeting. Discipline is what gets results.

BurningDesire and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  5. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I have lots of active projects (well, closely related yet distinct parts of a single super project: Sky Editor, the plugin based MVVM ROM/save editor). I switch between working on any of those, and gaming, whenever I get bored.

And since my projects are based on a game (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon), I get motivation whenever I play them.

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Everyday I wake knowing I am going to upset someone for some stupid reason. And it's that alone that keeps me going.

7. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    Find some friends and talk with them. Keep them around and never shut them out. You'll be lonely and consequentially less motivated if you isolate yourself.

8. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    I wouldn't say this is a lack of motivation, this sounds like you're trying things out.
    You should find the thing you love most and know the most about and be good at that. The rest will follow. If you do things for money ... Means that your heart is not into it, but if you love to do something you won't even think about money ... Which does come eventually once you're good at what you do.

Jiehfeng and BurningDesire like this.
  9. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Smart shock collar. Make an app that tasers you when it detects you're off task.

And make it super tedious to turn off so that your lack of motivation will keep it on you.

10. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    This, and if you really wanna do things your heart is not into cause other people want you to, use anger as a tool for motivation, and your heart will be put into it beautifully and you can do your work excellently (experience from parents expecting good exam results).

Engert likes this.
  11. rickpower

rickpower GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2016
    New Zealand
    can i read it

12. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    Not always, I've always found discipline to be a demotivating trait. For those who love being strict on themselves and love following orders, they might succeed using discipline in whatever they do, but they cannot be happy, it's a fact.
    Remove discipline and teach passion and then a reason to follow that particular passion, and that over-weighs discipline and adds the happiness to what you're doing too.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Think of the 5 minutes of Internet fame you'll receive.

In all honesty, I'm also terrible at keeping motivated to do things.

14. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    It's hard for me, as well. Mostly because my attention span is only 3 seconds long, thank you internet.