Hacking [Discussion] Do you think the Tegra X1 exploit release will impact future game releases?

Will the Tegra exploit release affect how many more games are developed for the Switch?

• Yes, for all game developers

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • No, everything will stay the same

Votes: 89 57.8%
  • Only AAA games will be affected

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Only indie games will be affected

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Potato...

Votes: 41 26.6%

• Total voters

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As the tittle says. According to wikipedia Nintendo has sold almost 18 millons consoles as of march-18. My question is, now that we are a few weeks away for the cfw release and that all consoles up until now can be hacked, how will game developers react to this? Will they stop developing for the switch and focus on the other "less" hacked consoles? Will they still develop for the switch but will stop making console exclusive games?

Back in the day of the PSP I remember reading several articles saying that devs had decided to not develop for the PSP due to how easy it was to hack and pirate games. Also I remember Nintendo saying that they have made agreements with AAA game developers to make games for the switch, do you think they will still support Nintendo after the console is widely hacked?

Even if the 3DS is now completely hacked it still took like 2 years to a see somewhat decent exploit+CFW and that was limited to certain FWs, while the switch is barely 1 year old. That kind of looks bad for a game developing company’s point of view.

So what are your thoughts/opinion about this? Will the future switch’s game library be affected by this?

NOTE: This thread isn’t about if it is right or wrong to pirate games nor if there will be a backup loader in the near or distant future. It is about if the developers will react negatively to the fact that the Tegra exploit exists in all consoles and how that will impact the future game library for the switch.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, we could see 'mariko' only options in the near future depending on how much Nintendo throws into/adds to the next Switch revision, just like we saw the SNES emulator being forced for only usage on New3DS models! :)

Scarecrow B

ScrapTown
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, we could see 'mariko' only options in the near future depending on how much Nintendo throws into/adds to the next Switch revision, just like we saw the SNES emulator being forced for only usage on New3DS models! :)
And even so, very few games were really restricted to only n3DS (like xenoblade). I think they risk to much by limiting content to a certain console revision, since the millions of early adopters will surely rage over that kind of decision. Not to mention that 3rd party game developers won't see profit in making a game that will only be playable by a small margin of users, but then again releasing a game for a completely hacked console kind of reduce their profit for quite a bit (at least from their point of view even if that is not necessarily true).

Reactions: VinsCool

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
And even so, very few games were really restricted to only n3DS (like xenoblade). I think they risk to much by limiting content to a certain console revision, since the millions of early adopters will surely rage over that kind of decision. Not to mention that 3rd party game developers won't see profit in making a game that will only be playable by a small margin of users, but then again releasing a game for a completely hacked console kind of reduce their profit for quite a bit (at least from their point of view even if that is not necessarily true).

Maybe, but list is growing, there already 14 exclusive to New3DS games, and more 'enchanced only' games, I see Nintendo doing the same with 'mariko' revision, since it can A) support more RAM, B) is smaller chip, so room to increasee gpu/cpu clock speeds (no more underclocking, full Tegra X1 speeds, C) contains a bit better CPU/GPU, so there is clear possibly some stuff might only work on next Switch, as Nintendo does not care that much about existing customers, when New3DS was released, there was alot more than 19 million existing 3DS owners.

New 3DS Exclusives
The following games are exclusive to the New 3DS systems.
Enhanced games
The following games are enhanced for the New 3DS systems. All games previously released that use Circle Pad Pro are compatible with the extra shoulder buttons and C-stick. Mostly all games benefit from the face-tracking 3D; some titles that don't include Nintendogs and AR Games. The following list may be incomplete:

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
  • Faster load times
  • C-stick support for smash attacks
  • Miiverse and Browser no longer disabled. System doesn't restart when shutting down the game
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  • Faster load times
  • Enhanced Textures
  • C-stick support for camera control
  • Miiverse and Browser no longer disabled. System doesn't restart when shutting down the game
Monster Hunter Generations
  • Faster load times
  • C stick support for camera controls
  • Miiverse and Internet Browser aren't disabled when game is running
  • More stable framerate
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy +
  • Better load times
  • C stick support
  • Amiibo support
Code Name S.T.E.A.M
  • Three times the speed on New 3DS (compared to x2 speed mode)
  • Support for Fire Emblem amiibo (Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina)
Hyrule Warriors Legends
  • 3D Mode
  • Higher FPS (smoother gameplay)
  • C-stick support for camera control
  • Zl button can be used to target enemy's instead of using Down on the D-pad
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
  • ZL or ZR buttons to quickly swap between Inventory and Map screens
Retro City Rampage DX
  • C-stick support for shooting whilst moving
  • Full advantage of the faster CPU for a smoother Turbo Mode, smoother screen effects and faster fast forwarding
Azure Striker Gunvolt
  • ZR/ZL to cycle weapons
  • Improved load times
  • Gameplay performance improved on N3DS
Hatsune Miku Project DX
  • Faster load times
  • Better antialiasing in 3D mode
Streamworld Heist
  • 60 FPS in 3D Mode (30 FPS on an old 3DS)
Pokemon Sun/Moon
  • On non-new models, has to boot into dedicated mode with limited home menu access. Requires fully restarting the system to exit.
  • Load times are faster on the New 3DS. See this comparison.
  • No other changes or improvements. Frame rates are the same

Reactions: netovsk

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The mariko model won't be an official revision though. Do you think Nintendo will release games saying "oh btw, this game is only compatible with Switches with a serial number starting with...."
Go somewhere else to troll

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mariko model won't be an official revision though. Do you think Nintendo will release games saying "oh btw, this game is only compatible with Switches with a serial number starting with...."
Go somewhere else to troll

it's GAYopa, he was built to troll. see True Blue!

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its would probably be cheaper to give the 18mil a free swap to mariko, then to exile 18mil from playing new games and making their switches useless.

Reactions: Kioku

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
DS hack was much noob friendly, yet it was most successful hardware Nintendo ever made including most selling softwares that’s also goes to Wii

syntaxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Everything will stay the same and here is why.
The marketing Nintendo puts into the Switch is something every publisher would want to lift on despite its security issue right now. When you get the chance to have your game marketed by a company that big, would you really want to miss the train because your game will get pirated by so few people? The many millions of units that where sold is also something that will convince shareholders to invest games and if piracy is of concern then they will surely get some stats of pc-game sales.
Piracy is also just not convenient enough for many people when we have App stores.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blatantly not!

How many Switches in the wild, around 20 million. Now, how many of those do you think will actually end up with CFW on them, couple of thousand..maybe. Work that out as a percentage.

Let's not forget that this is no simple software hack as yet. How many people do you think are willing to open up or start shoving wires into their £300 hardware.

It's easy when you are immersed in the scene to think the community is representative of the general user base, it certainly is not by any stretch. If you could get numbers of users on say the discords or even those who visit the gbatemp Switch subgroups it would be a fraction of a percentage of the Switch user-base.

If I were to put forth any concrete evidence of the impact of a hacked system on game sales it would be Pokemon Sun and Moon on 3DS.
These games came at a time of full A9lH+Luma access to the system.
These games were leaked prior to release, piracy was the first place to get them.
These games sold nearly 15 million copies within a 6 weeks.

This hack will have zero impact on a publishers decision to release games on the system.

Reactions: PuNKeMoN

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If anything, piracy actually helps a console. I never saw a console failing due to piracy but only for mismanagement and general lack of interest on it.

Specially for Nintendo which sells every single console, game or acessory at a profit.

We recently have seen most 3rd party developers shifting their focus on PC which is kinda like pirate heaven for those who want it.

Regarding piracy, I'll drop this quote:

The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates.

- Gabe Newell

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*bootrom exploit gets leaked*
Nintendo: Dammit, they have the highest access to our console via a tethered hardware exploit! They may develop a backup launcher soon so lets stop development of Pokémon, Metroid Prime 4, Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, etc.

Am I doing it right?

Skylinedeadline

Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything, piracy actually helps a console. I never saw a console failing due to piracy but only for mismanagement and general lack of interest on it.

Specially for Nintendo which sells every single console, game or acessory at a profit.

We recently have seen most 3rd party developers shifting their focus on PC which is kinda like pirate heaven for those who want it.

Regarding piracy, I'll drop this quote:

The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It's by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates.

- Gabe Newell
Not disagreeing with you but didn't the psp die out due to piracy or something like that?

On topic nothing will change like everyone else has said very few people that own a switch will likely get cfw and even then not everyone that uses cfw will sail the seas.

Aerogems

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would highly doubt it. The PSP had a number of other issues with it that were probably putting off a lot of developers, the UMD format likely being chief among them, and the efforts of people like Dark_Alex just tipped them over the edge.

When you start breaking this down, the claims just don't add up. There are approximately 18 million Switch users worldwide. We don't have exact figures, but let's just assume 1% of that 18 million will hack their Switch and install a CFW to pirate games; that's 180,000 people worldwide. So for every game released for the Switch, the question becomes how many of those 180,000 people are even interested enough in your game to even bother pirating it? Most AAA games probably sell 2-5 million copies worldwide, which is like 10-30% (rounding up) of all Switch users if my math is correct. So what is the overlap between the total number of people who COULD pirate your game, and those who actually DO pirate your game? Just because someone CAN pirate your game doesn't mean they will. I don't give two craps about Pokemon games for example, so even if I had a Switch that could pirate Pokemon games, I wouldn't.

Developers know all this, it's the publishers who are the ones who get their panties all in a wad over it.

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Don't think mariko only options will be a thing, it's too early in the Switch's lifecycle for a significant refresh.

Last edited by whateverg1012,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not disagreeing with you but didn't the psp die out due to piracy or something like that?

On topic nothing will change like everyone else has said very few people that own a switch will likely get cfw and even then not everyone that uses cfw will sail the seas.

Did the PSP fail? It has a huge library of games. I thought it was pretty succesful and it's an awesome console imo. Forgive me if I'm mistaken then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night