Homebrew Discussion: Creating an environment which encourages Switch Homebrew and Hacking

Quest4glory

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Tempers.

Decade long member here. I have been putting of this thread for a rather long time, and Ive actually typed this out several months back but deleted it. Background: I am a 30+ year old Cocoa/iOS programmer. The recent success of CEMU Patreon, and the advent of Nintendo's HackerOne program I think t's time to create a discussion for possibly creating a way to reward the Switch Exploit/Future Homebrew community. Programming is hard work. It's how I support my lifestyle so I believe very firmly that individuals should be rewarded for there time and work. It's a win/win scenario. The "hacker" receives compensation and the community comes to fruition faster and more completely.

THIS IS A DISCUSSION. ALL OPINIONS ARE WELCOME, about how implementation should work and what thresholds should initiate a payment.

I am well aware of the age group, and the negative connotations and pessism that exist on this board. I am prepared mentally for a healthy debate, but also an Incel fueled hatefest. This is to be expected however we have to start somewhere.

So post your ideas!

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm no homebrew shaming? No nut busting for dumb ideas and accept all homebrew as hobby not a job with expectations and other entitlements? That fairly encouraging cause all of that discourage many people. :P

Quest4glory

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure they delete posts referring to switch hacking, which is stupid.

Are you referring to Patreon?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

past events makes it harder to ensure that the money does actually go to said developer.

Please elaborate! Can anything be learned from the past. What was wrong with the execution exactly. Very much interested.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's hard to reward people, regardless of what happens you're always going to have users bitching that things aren't moving fast enough or homebrew devs don't make their deadline. Fundraisers are also hard, it's very easy for someone to just take the money and run.

Quest4glory

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's hard to reward people, regardless of what happens you're always going to have users bitching that things aren't moving fast enough or homebrew devs don't make their deadline. Fundraisers are also hard, it's very easy for someone to just take the money and run.

Users who "bitch" can be asked to contribute to increase the rewards, or ask for payment thresholds lowered or raised to help encourage development. I'm not sure if Patreon would allow Switch hacking directly however the Terms of service might allow for the creation of a General Tegra glitch bounty which would apply/easily ported, if not work outright, on the switch. Another idea is to invoke a licensed and bonded escrow service who would take care of money handling and payments for a small percentage fee assuring no fraud is invoked. This is why this thread is created to discuss the possiblitys. It is not crazy, impossible, or out of the realm of possibility. Both sides have done it before See: CEMU patreon and for the flip side of the coin See: Nintendo HackerOne

Good ideas and discussion is what is needed here, surprised so many replies in the first hour

Last edited by Quest4glory,

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My suggestion is to just contribute. You can do it to if you want to help.

A fundraiser is great but people aren't making Homebrew for money or rewards, just street cred pretty much and to create themselves credit/work showcases they have done. Don't get me wrong it could work but, that's why they made donations to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended