Discovered Another Gem.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Aug 26, 2007.

Aug 26, 2007

Discovered Another Gem. by GeekyGuy at 2:43 PM (1,196 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, yeah, I know what you're gonna say, "It's a licensed Garfield game -- it's gotta suck hole!" Well, not this one. I only tried it because, along with Operation: Vietnam, Nintendo Power reviewed it recently and score it favorably (giving it a "7"). It's a platformer and the DS doesn't have a lot of great ones to choose from, so I had to check it out. Sure enough, it's damn good. Nothing groundbreaking -- it stays with the tried & true workings of a good platformer -- but it's solid.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It's also one of the best-looking games I've seen, but it's by Shin'en, so that's no surprise. You'll actually hear quite a few of the same sound effects in this game that are in Pet Alien. But if you enjoy a quick platforming fix and there's nothing currently that you find entertaining, I'd say check this sucker out. I believe the ROM number is 0893, but the U.S. version'll probably be out in the next week or so. Either way, the EURO version I'm playing has about 10 languages to choose form, including, of course, English.

Enjoy!

2. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    yah, when it was dumped I think most of us played it and agreed it was a nice game

of course, it's shinen, they'll make a quality game out of anything

3. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Thanks for sharing that. I pass along games all the time and rarely give a second glance. Will put it in my rent queue.

4. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    irpacynot should run the most underrated games thread cause he actually has played pretty much every game on the DS. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to play this soon.

5. HelloKitty

Member HelloKitty GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think I'll give it a try, thanks [​IMG]

6. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    [​IMG]

Yeah, I've certainly played a bunch so far, including ones you don't wanna know about (Bratz [​IMG] ). I think it's what I enjoy most, though. I just like trying out the different games and seeing what they're about. I guess I'm a window shopper.

Anyway, I figured many folks probably skipped over this one, so I'm happy to oblige.

7. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    I like Miss Spider's Sunny Patch Friends.. better, it's really short but it's fun.
    Garfield's Nightmare it's good but it's too repetitive for me.

8. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'll check it out later. Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Actually, it looks quite good. I'll try it. Thanks [​IMG]

10. Torte

Member Torte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    If you found GN to be repetitive, I shudder to think about what you thought of the Super Mario games.

11. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Well, the thing is that Mario at least can run, and there's lots of stuff to do on the Mario games.
    The levels in GN are too long for a game where the main character it's always walking slowly.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a nice game,and it looks great but I really think it can be repetitive.

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I agree with Laggy here, it was good to play but when I went back to it I fount it repetitive and I didn't enjoy it as much. Perhaps this is due to having played through most of the 2D platformers on the consoles and computers of the 80's and 90's but it wasn't that great a game for me, there was nothing at all new just Garfield walking around levels doing what I've been doing in many other games. This game stood out because it wasn't the usual crappy licensed game.

Mario games are a lot more varied, have many secrets to uncover and you can sometimes play the levels differently. They have better level design and more character.