Discord offers a look at its first set of timed exclusive indie titles

In August, it was announced that the chatting app Discord would be planning to open their own game storefront. It first went into beta for Canadian users that were subscribed to the platform's monthly Nitro subscription, and then further rolled out to a wider audience. Discord also planned to fund certain indie titles, so long as they had a timed exclusivity period on Discord's store before moving to Steam. The first handful of those titles have been revealed, as part of the "First on Discord" initiative which include seven titles:

• Last Year: The Nightmare
  • King of the Hat
  • SINNER: Sacrifice for Redemption
  • Minion Masters
  • Bad North
  • At Sundown
  • Mad Machines
Last Year is a horror game with multiplayer, King of the Hat features gameplay in where you must smash other player's hats in a pixel 2D brawler, At Sundown is an isometric puzzle shooter, Mad Machines appears to take inspiration from Rocket League, as you control robots attempting to play soccer, Minion Masters is a real-time strategy card-based game, Bad North is a roguelike, and Sinner focuses on killing enemies based on the seven deadly sins, where after each boss, you get progressively weaker.

Some of the above games are already headed to the Nintendo Switch, but for the PC platform, they'll be, as the title implies, first available on Discord for a period of around 90 days, prior to being allowed on GOG/Humble/Steam. Each of these games are scheduled for a Fall 2018 release.

:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of those games, no interest either, though king of the hat reminds me of super mario war. If it's true, maybe I can be interested. Not sure I want another game client to buy games from if I can't just use steam. :ninja:

Reactions: DuoForce
D

Deleted User

minion masters is "first on discord"?
fSiiJ2v.png

something here seems flawed, since i was given a free steam key for it like 3 years ago, doesn't look like a timed exclusive to me

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, I don't ever see that happening.
Same, but Steam has recently been trying to compete with Discord by improving group chats and copying a bunch of features from Discord so I guess this is their way of retaliating. Discord does the social part of it well, if they can do an equally good job with the storefront and get the support of publishers and developers then they could stand a chance. But that's a big if.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: hurrz
D

Deleted User

I like the aesthetics on that intro. Call me a sucker for vaporwave-styled stuff.

Anyways, the games look interesting enough. Timed exclusivity doesn't always work (it backfired, in the case of the original Tomb Raider on the Saturn), but this might give Discord a bit of a boost as a storefront.

Hyborix3

Gabi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They should just stick to updating and fixing bugs on their Mobile/Desktop for a better user experience instead of focusing on games and etc. Just seems to me like they have too much time on their hands so now they’re focusing on something completely different

D

Deleted User

wow.

you are supposed to use steam and discord together lol (i mean not really but it should stay that way)
but seriously they should focus on porting it to something other than electron, god its so laggy even on powerful desktops.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Valve should just buy and integrate Discord into Steam. Best of both worlds.

God no. I love steam but its client is a complete piece of shit.

Discord may have servers powered by hamster wheels but at least the application itself works well enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn