Discord is testing a new feature that allows server owners to gate channels behind premium subscriptions

discord.png

Popular game-centric chatting app Discord is testing out a new feature designed to allow fans to support creators directly on Discord. Called Premium Memberships, this function lets Discord server owners lock certain group channels or even the entire server behind a paywall. According to the announcement post, this has been a highly requested addition to Discord from content creators, and adds upon previous perk-related updates, such as being able to "boost" servers by buying separate server-related perks for $4.99 a month. These paid tiers would be customizable by the server owners, adding bonuses for subscribing users that include custom roles with a specific color, access to channels, and other perks that people can come up with, at variously priced tiers. Right now, the feature is in private testing, as a "closed experiment".

Today, we’re excited to announce a brand-new feature that we’re currently testing with a small group of communities: Premium Memberships. Yep, you read that right! With Premium Memberships, creators and community owners will have the ability to gate part or all of their server behind a paid subscription. This is one of the most requested features from creators and we’re already seeing many of our communities offering this type of experience through third parties. We’re excited to now allow a select handful to test this experience natively on Discord.

:arrow: Source

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Tcord being tcord, shitty program by a (very) shitty company (and they have fanboys [look some comments above mine]).
But they're not wrong, it's their program, i 100% support you monetize your things, even if you do it in dumb ways like tcord do but then you have to deal with you program becoming shit in the view of your users, so do it right!
In general just do it like i do: don't use it.
I prefer irc, bbs, steam voice chat, teamspeak, matrix, whatever... not being skype, tcord or zoom (lol)...

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet Sony has something to do with this, seems like something they would pitch now that they are in cahoots with Discord.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Considering Discord is primarily known for drama llamas, children throwing tantrums and other assorted undesirables, setting up a paywall can alleviate much of the issues a server owner has to deal with. Hell, set it up at $0.99 a month and you’re done, kids won’t be able to get mommy’s credit card anyway, and people with complainonitis will refuse to pay because they’re cheap - done, most problems on the server instantly solved. Better yet, don’t use Discord - it’s cancer.

Reactions: eyeliner

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering Discord is primarily known for drama llamas, children throwing tantrums and other assorted undesirables, setting up a paywall can alleviate much of the issues a server owner has to deal with. Hell, set it up at $0.99 a month and you’re done, kids won’t be able to get mommy’s credit card anyway, and people with complainonitis will refuse to pay because they’re cheap - done, most problems on the server instantly solved. Better yet, don’t use Discord - it’s cancer.
What would be your alternative suggestion to discord since it dominates the market for quick reply and group chats? Pretty much phased Skype out.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
ntent creators are using Discord is fine, but there are so many resources and documentation and incredibly useful information locked behind the doors of servers that are locked behind invites, let alone existing tenuously given Discord scams,
And Server that can get nuked at anytime and all the information lost with it. Discord is a great place to loose everything. I don't get why people buy in so hard to their ecosystem.

Reactions: felix.200

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What would be your alternative suggestion to discord since it dominates the market for quick reply and group chats? Pretty much phased Skype out.
Pretty much any other chat application of choice. Discord doesn’t do anything special, and I don’t know why people insist that it does. What drags Discord down are the people on it, primarily - whenever drama’s afoot in any online community, Discord is sure to play a role in one way or another.

Holybond

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much any other chat application of choice. Discord doesn’t do anything special, and I don’t know why people insist that it does. What drags Discord down are the people on it, primarily - whenever drama’s afoot in any online community, Discord is sure to play a role in one way or another.
People moved to discord because it was the next hypest thing that was integrated with gaming. Wasn't discord initially paired up with some league of legends website?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People moved to discord because it was the next hypest thing that was integrated with gaming. Wasn't discord initially paired up with some league of legends website?
I’m not entirely sure, to be perfectly honest. All I do know is that much like most things on the Internet, it quickly devolved into a mess as soon as the masses started using it.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The fact that content creators are using Discord is fine, but there are so many resources and documentation and incredibly useful information locked behind the doors of servers that are locked behind invites, let alone existing tenuously given Discord scams, hackers, trolls, and it being a general drama pit that could get so easily deleted in an instant because of a little rage.
And invites expire instead of being permanent, so that's totally fantastic when you go onto a GitHub page or forum thread about how to mod a particular game that advertise a Discord server for more information/help (if not more mods to download) only to find the invite has expired god knows how long ago AAARGH

Invites are already shit; paywalls would be even worse, IMO, since it actively teases that the link still works but UH-OH PAY UP SON (or daughter).

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
it was just pretty much timing, skype was becoming shit and discord basically went "hey! we aren't skype!"(before any of you say anything, yes yes this is grossly oversimplified there was more to it but this is the very very VERY basics)

how long do we have until this exact same thing happens but with *insert trendy chat platform we'll forget about in like 4 years*

Reactions: Holybond

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
According to the announcement post, this has been a highly requested addition to Discord from content creators
Really? I'm pretty sure any content creator that wants to monetize their content through Discord would already be using external integrations, and the best part is: you don't have to share any of your earnings with Discord.

There's a bunch of basic features Discord has been lacking for years (it's been 6 years and you can't even post hyperlinks) and this is their priority? They didn't even finish the base membership screening. Spamming Nitro everywhere isn't enough for them?

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Really? I'm pretty sure any content creator that wants to monetize their content through Discord would already be using external integrations, and the best part is: you don't have to share any of your earnings with Discord.

There's a bunch of basic features Discord has been lacking for years (it's been 6 years and you can't even post hyperlinks) and this is their priority? They didn't even finish the base membership screening. Spamming Nitro everywhere isn't enough for them?
ive noticed discord only seems to care about suggestions when they come from: A) people with nitro B) famous people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: