wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi
I have recently installed homebrew(4.3U) and cfg usb loader(v70) successfully.
Few days ago, I bought a new game(NBA Jam). When I inserted the disc, "system update" logo appeared on the disc channel. Knowing that update can cause problem in softmodded wii, I ignored system update and just made a backup using cfg usb loader. The game runs fine with the loader.

Out of curiosity, I tried my Skyward Sword(which I owned and played "prior" to installing homebrew and the loader) using the disc. Now, even Skyward Sword is asking me to do system update.

I will be using cfg usb loader to play my backed up games from now on in order to prevent disc drive from wearing out. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder what can really happen if I press "system update" button(by accident for an example). I don't know if this is accurate, but I heard that doing so will put IOS stub on 249; and will render cfg usb loader unusable. Is doing disc based "system update" dangerous for my wii from now on?

I heard you can disable disc based system update using priiloader. But, I noticed that this is a high risk application; so I would not like to install it.

Thanks for your help

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install Priiloader and enable the Block Disc Updates and Block Online Updates hacks. You can download Priiloader with ModMii. It's safe.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends on what IOS you have installed to what slot what happens.
But your USB loader will very likely stop working, although I suppose the Homebrew Channel will still work. At least that is the case on my setup.

wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi
Thanks for the help.
I have a newer wii that does not allow NAND backup. So I am a bit hesitant to install priiloader unless I really really have to.

I have cIOS 249 and 250 installed. Looks like doing system update(by accident) will not brick wii, so I will stay as is for now.
Someone said you can simply repair unusable usb loader by reinstalling/replacing cIOS(249 and 250 in my case), so I think I will stay with this method, although it will ask me to do system update again. I will just have to make sure that accident don't happen frequently, otherwise it would be annoying to keep replacing cIOSs.

If I am misinformed, please correct me.
Otherwise, thanks all for your help.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi
Thanks for the help.
I have a newer wii that does not allow NAND backup. So I am a bit hesitant to install priiloader unless I really really have to.

I have cIOS 249 and 250 installed. Looks like doing system update(by accident) will not brick wii, so I will stay as is for now.
Someone said you can simply repair unusable usb loader by reinstalling/replacing cIOS(249 and 250 in my case), so I think I will stay with this method, although it will ask me to do system update again. I will just have to make sure that accident don't happen frequently, otherwise it would be annoying to keep replacing cIOSs.

There's also Startpatch which will patch hacks to the system menu like priiloader; I don't think its any safer than priiloader though.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a lot more dangerous than Priiloader.
Indeed. First you have to find the right version, Enable all parts to a hack (pt1, pt2, ect.) and their dependencies. Ive never run into any problems but I can easily see how someone could make a rather nice brick with menu hacking software (lost my first wii to a malformed preloader (not priiloader) install).

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Indeed. First you have to find the right version, Enable all parts to a hack (pt1, pt2, ect.) and their dependencies. Ive never run into any problems but I can easily see how someone could make a rather nice brick with menu hacking software (lost my first wii to a malformed preloader (not priiloader) install).
There is so much room for user error (so much of which could lead to a brick) with Startpatch that it's insanely risky, not to mention more work. If a patch goes wrong on Priiloader, you just disable it. On Startpatch, you're f*cked.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is so much room for user error (so much of which could lead to a brick) with Startpatch that it's insanely risky, not to mention more work. If a patch goes wrong on Priiloader, you just disable it. On Startpatch, you're f*cked.
For me it was worth the risk (you remember how I feel about priiloader) but man, you have to really know what your doin.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi
Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can't brick your Wii with an accidental update, as long as that runs ok.
If you update your Wii, the worst thing that should happen is that you have to rehack the Wii. Which is not a problem today so it is really not all that bad.
And yes, your Wii will ask you for a update every time you restore USB loading capabilities. iirc the update on a Wii disc checks if some or all (depends on the update) IOS have a lower version then the corresponding replacement in the update. The only possible way to circumvent that does not involve something like Priiloader would be setting the version number to the max, but I forgot if that works and if anybody build something for that.
But ín your case I'd advise you to simply play everything from USB HDD if that works, and don't worry if you update by accident. I only installed Priiloader because I can recover my Wii with bootmii, I would probably not have installed it otherwise.
And what you or whoever uses the Wii should never do is aborting an accidental update in a panic. That could brick your Wii I think.

wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi
Thanks everyone for great help.

To Gabelvampir:
I will make sure not to abort accidental disc based system update in panic(writing down on my note now). Thank you for your advice :)

To JoostinOnline and Kehkou:
Nope, you did not ninja'd the post. :) It actually solidify my understanding that priiloader and StartPatch are not something I should be play around with.
I think those applications are beyond my ability, so it would be dangerous for me.

My wii's warranty is almost over, and I just want my wii and games to last as long as possible. That was the main reason I chose homebrew and cfg usb loader. It is working perfectly fine, and since accidental update will not brick the wii, reinstalling cIOS upon accidental update would only cause small annoyance(something I know what to do now).

Thanks everyone :)

wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi JoostinOnline
I would try Priiloader if I have NAND backed up and know much more about priiloader. But since I don't(due to new wii), I don't know how to recover if I screw up and disable my wii. So I am bit scared with priiloader. According to Gabelvampir, reinstalling cIOS is something I have done(to install the loader), and know how to do. So I feel safer with this method.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi JoostinOnline
I would try Priiloader if I have NAND backed up and know much more about priiloader. But since I don't(due to new wii), I don't know how to recover if I screw up and disable my wii. So I am bit scared with priiloader. According to Gabelvampir, reinstalling cIOS is something I have done(to install the loader), and know how to do. So I feel safer with this method.
You need to follow a proper guide. Download and install ModMii to generate a custom guide. You can create a NAND backup (and should) with a new Wii, as any decent guide will tell you.

wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks JoostinOnline.
I will take a look at several guides. I read from several forums that NAND backup is almost useless in bootmii as IOS, so I did not backup NAND.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not useless. It's the only way you can recover from a full brick, although you will have to pay someone around $50 to flash your NAND with it.

The two best guides are Softmod ANY Wii and one created by ModMii. There are a lot of bad guides out there, so I suggest you stay away from any other than these two.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended