disc not spinning.....help!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by sonicsmash2, May 25, 2010.

May 25, 2010
  1. sonicsmash2
    OP

Member sonicsmash2 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    okay so my friend was playing new super mario bros wii with my softmodded 4.2 wii, after she played a while the disk just stop spinning and the game came up with an error.... so i tried turning it off and on, putting in games see if it reads those, but nothing!! i feel as if its a hardware problem, no games seem to work, they wont spin but i can still play wiiware and other things that does not use a disc....so yeah i need to fix my wii which cannot make any games spin and right now i seem to have tried everything except opening my wii, because i dont have a tri-screw (whatever its called) and i cant seem to find one... buying online wont do me any good as i do not have credit card....

so....any help would be appreciated, if not could you atleast tell me what will Nintendo do if i send a softmodded wii to them? or how to unmod it so i can then send it without a complaint...... thanks!

2. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    One of mine dont spin. Waste of money to buy a new drive and more disc. My opinion, just buy a Hard drive......you wont regret it

3. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Your drive is dead.
    If you send it to ninty, they'll put in the D3-2 drive, which will not play ANY type of backup disc. Ever.
    Get a USB drive, install WBFS manager, and transfer your discs to WBFS formatted USB drive.
    Start reading up on USB drives, loaders, etc.....

4. sonicsmash2
    OP

Australia
    thx but my discs are real game disc's theyre not copied, infact i dont have any copied games so i dont care about the D3-2 drive not being able to play backups, because i have too much games i already bought just to use a usb and play if off that...

Edit:Btw I have no warrant will this affect anything?

5. ddetkowski

United States
    If all you have are retail games, then send it to Ninty.
    1 of 2 things will happen......
    They'll replace it for free, or you will pay.

6. sonicsmash2
    OP

Australia
    what happens if i send it to them, softmodded....will they call me or anything?

7. sonicsmash2
    OP

Australia
    oh btw, disc error problems have been appearing because of brawl...im guessing my drive broke cause of the dual layered problem? if so i can get a free repair even if my warrant is gone, no?

8. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Not if you're softmodded.

9. Maplemage

Member Maplemage ಠ_ಠ

Antarctica
    Delete this post.

10. Krestent

United States
    A lot more then you would pay to just replace the drive yourself. It's not hard at all.

11. sonicsmash2
    OP

Australia
    Is $200 enough?

12. Krestent

United States
    Yes, however you could either buy an entirely new Wii with that money or replace the drive yourself for $50.

13. sonicsmash2
    OP

Australia
    Should I send it in EB Games in Australia because im in Bosnia right now and there is no game shop here....

14. Krestent

United States
    I don't believe EB Games has a console repair program unless you have their warranty. Take my suggestion and install the drive yourself.

15. sonicsmash2
    OP

Australia
    I cant install a drive its not a option. Any other suggestions?

16. ddetkowski

United States
    I'd say your SOL

17. ZombiePosessor

Member ZombiePosessor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I agree about being SOL... if you're not going to do any of the options available to you, why bother asking for help? If you're worried about Nintendo finding out about your modifications, unplug your Wii's power supply while you're installing a system menu wad or something. Brick City. Tell them you were updating to 4.2 and the power went out. There's a free repair.

Alternatively, read up on installing the drive yourself. If you read directions and have common sense, you can replace a disc drive. Its really not complicated at all! All you'll need is a tri-wing screwdriver. I had to order one off the internet because my shitty town didn't have any in stores locally. But you're in Bosnia, and who knows how shit goes down there... maybe you can find one in a store locally and won't have to wait like I did.

And lol @ "Is $200 enough?" Why are you even asking? Don't you remember how much you paid for the Wii when you bought it? They're like $150 new now. Again, if installing a drive is "not a option" then buy a new Wii. Problem solved.

Your "help" is in this thread, its just a matter of you taking the good advice inside of it.