Hacking Disc Labels, Burn Speed and Everything in Between

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.k. I know that a lot of you frown on disc labels but I'm the type that has to have everything looking professional. I am having a bit of a problem. Most of my disc are using fellowes labels and my newest burns are using labels from avery. My Metroid Prime and Wii music (well when I first burned them) were running perfectly and they have avery labels on them. My older burns like Mario Galaxy and Endless Ocean run smooth and they have fellowes labels on them. Lately, this week to be exact, the loader has been acting funny with my avery labled disc. Wii music which normally runs without a hitch was giving me a DRE during every load last night. MP3 was giving me a DRE right after the controller warning screen but I played a good 30 minutes this morning with hardly any problem. The main ticker is Mario Kart Wii, which I burned this morning. My 2x copy using a avery label automatically gives me a DRE but my 16x with the fellowes label plays almost smooth...unless you leave it hanging for a while, then it's automatic DRE. All of my games are 1:1. Should I toss out my 2X copy of Mario Kart or should I wait for Gamma with hopefully a fix for DRE and just hang on to it (not like the loader doesn't on the disc)? Also I notice that Avery labels are a bit thicker than fellowes. They also come out a bit slower from the drive than my fellowes disc. When I can get pas the DRE all of my disc play as smooth as any original. What fo you people think?

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
I think your labels are shit - I don't really think you need advice - you've obviously spotted the correlation between error & label brand.

You are just hoping people tell you otherwise, so you can fool yourself.

Get printable discs in future and never have the problem of having to deal with labels again.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's the end all, be all answer.

Burn your discs at the speed indicated on the disc itself. It the disc say's 2x, then burn at 2x. If the disc says 16x burn at 16x. If the disc say's 2,094,846x, then guess what... you got a fake disc...

The disc is MADE to be burned that fast, and burning slower isn't good for the disc... if you only have an 8x drive, and 16x discs, then yes, burning at 8x is fine... but if you have an 8x drive, and burn a 16x disc at 2x, yea, something is gonna mess up...

Labels:

If you have a FULL DISC LABEL, and really really really want it to look semi real, then go ahead, print the label, and for god's sake, use the little tool that came with the kit to center the label.
Other than that, just write on the disc with a Sharpie... there are many kinds available... you can even buy a multicolor pack in the super thin style, and make your own disc art!

NEVER EVER EVER put a square or rectangle sticker on the disc. It will unbalance it, and cause harm to your disc, wii drive, and beat up your dad, and rape your mom, impregnating her with the spawn of satan! do you want your brother to be the anti-christ?? that's what I thought! DON'T DO IT!

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Printable DVD-R's are the way to go. A really great printer for this is the Canon iP4300 (or similar). It has a small tray that the disc goes onto, then it goes into the printer. Acoustica Label Maker is an excellent label making program, simply grab an image from cdcovers.cc or console-covers.com, load into Acoustica, pop a disc in the printer and hit print. In about 30 seconds you'll have a vibrant, full color label on the disc that will never peel or cause damage to your drive. It really looks great when you get some good artwork, so make sure you get the labels from cdcovers.cc or console-covers.com, or you can make your own if you're good at Photoshop, there are some Wii disc templates on torrent sites.

While you're at it, pick up some printable CD-R's too and make your music collection stand out too. If you took the time to download it, might as well take the time to make it look pretty.
smile.gif

Printable media FTW!
smile.gif

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

Burn your discs at the speed indicated on the disc itself. It the disc say's 2x, then burn at 2x. If the disc says 16x burn at 16x. If the disc say's 2,094,846x, then guess what... you got a fake disc...

The disc is MADE to be burned that fast, and burning slower isn't good for the disc... if you only have an 8x drive, and 16x discs, then yes, burning at 8x is fine... but if you have an 8x drive, and burn a 16x disc at 2x, yea, something is gonna mess up...

Labels:

If you have a FULL DISC LABEL, and really really really want it to look semi real, then go ahead, print the label, and for god's sake, use the little tool that came with the kit to center the label.
Other than that, just write on the disc with a Sharpie... there are many kinds available... you can even buy a multicolor pack in the super thin style, and make your own disc art!

NEVER EVER EVER put a square or rectangle sticker on the disc. It will unbalance it, and cause harm to your disc, wii drive, and beat up your dad, and rape your mom, impregnating her with the spawn of satan! do you want your brother to be the anti-christ?? that's what I thought! DON'T DO IT!
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
OMG
rofl2.gif

i love this site for the smart ass remarks some users give... makes me smile and laugh when having an uneasy day at work
smile.gif

thanks for that zidane_genome

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

Labels:

Don't let quim here you say that
tongue.gif

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:

Labels:

tongue.gif
why not?... is he very religious or something?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTEwhy not?... is he very religious or something?
couldnt tell you lol, just he goes mad regarding discs and speed
tongue.gif

He totally believe that if a top site states e.g. TDK are the best discs, then he believes they are and points it out that everyone requires them....huh lol

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTEwhy not?... is he very religious or something?
couldnt tell you lol, just he goes mad regarding discs and speed
tongue.gif

He totally believe that if a top site states e.g. TDK are the best discs, then he believes they are and points it out that everyone requires them....huh lol
ohh, so TDK dvd+r's are the best discs to use? and burn at 2,094,846x for best results?

i'm going to buy some TDKs and burn all my games(at 2,094,846x) when i get home... everyone should do the same!!!

nyanya.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There you go again djdynamite... just posting to get your post count up...

I didn't say any brands were better than another... all I said was BURN AT THE SPEED INDICATED ON THE DISC.

I could care less what disc your using... if you wanna use "BillyJoe Bob's Dumbfuck Hillbilly" brand discs, and say they are the best, more power to you! If one person thinks TDK is better, yay! I use the brand that's on sale! 100 Sony DVD's for $30... right now, Sony's the best... if TDK's go on sale when I'm out of Sony's, then guess what... TDK will be the best...

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
djdynamite123 said:
couldnt tell you lol, just he goes mad regarding discs and speed :P
Except what he is saying is the same thing I've been saying you total fsckwit. Burn at/around the rated speed.

Are you totally devoid of grey matter? maybe you should stop posting off-topic shite on here (1000 posts in such a short space of time) and educate yourself.

You really are an idiot aren't you? I've noticed lots of people on here say it, and for once I have to agree with the consensus.

Previously I though that only failed-abortions could be that stupid (maybe that's the case - did your mother knitting needle/vacuum you as a foetus?), but thank you for proving otherwise.

Now go ahead and post your usual idiot "LOL!! It's just one of my posts, you know me, I'm an ahole! and a cnut!!" posts - I mean you've already made 994 of them. One more for the road, eh?

LOL!!

QUOTE(zidane_genome @ Nov 12 2008, 03:27 PM) There you go again djdynamite... just posting to get your post count up...
Some people equate post count with penis size. You know what they say about big e-peens... =]

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
There you go again djdynamite... just posting to get your post count up...

I didn't say any brands were better than another... all I said was BURN AT THE SPEED INDICATED ON THE DISC.

I could care less what disc your using... if you wanna use "BillyJoe Bob's Dumbfuck Hillbilly" brand discs, and say they are the best, more power to you! If one person thinks TDK is better, yay! I use the brand that's on sale! 100 Sony DVD's for $30... right now, Sony's the best... if TDK's go on sale when I'm out of Sony's, then guess what... TDK will be the best...

Totally agree with you on using what's accessible. When I'm out of disc i usually pick up a 15 pack from the neighborhood Family Dollar store. Also I want to thank everyone for their comments
smile.gif

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BL4Z3D247 said:
quim69 said:
Some people equate post count with penis size. You know what they say about big e-peens... =]
man, so this means... mine's small? *looks down pants*... nope
cool.gif

hehehehehehehehehehehe
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
eheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
eheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh
heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh....you're funny.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
quim69
Today, 03:34 PM
Post #13

GBAtemp Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 140,181
interesting, says you..........look at when you joined and your amount of posts, if you were to check, iv'e helped allot of people out on here, yeah I admit i post allot of crap as well, but i'm helping many people out on here, just not anything to do with backup loaders.
EDIT....you seem to always mention mothers and penis's have you been playing with your mummy and asking her mammy where is my tingaling, i cant find it
frown.gif
......... don't reply no crap to me again.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
djdynamite123 said:
interesting, says you..........look at when you joined and your amount of posts,
Interesting indeed - and please do check - you've got proportionally 50% more posts.

998 posts in 52 days compared to 234 posts in 17 days.

Do you need help with the maths?

QUOTE said:
if you were to check, iv'e helped allot of people out on here, yeah I admit i post allot of crap as well, but i'm helping many people out on here, just not anything to do with backup loaders.
You've helped nobody - you post offtopic junk and misinformation that serves to clutter the place up, This thread is a perfect example of it.

QUOTE(djdynamite123 @ Nov 12 2008, 04:02 PM)
mammy where is my tingaling, i cant find it
That's no surprise - e-peen again.

Now run along little boy, you've still not come out of the closet yet have you? That's your mother issue showing again. Did she not breastfeed you or something? Would explain lots.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:

wrong.

the speed indicated by the disc manufacturer simply reflects the maximum speed that the disc can be burned at that will yield a disc with valid data. the actual speed that you should burn the disc at is really dictated by your pc and the software that you're using to burn said disc. if you have something antiquated with a slow processor and a small amount of ram, then burn the disc at the speed that your software recommends.

additionally, try not to perform other tasks while burning the disc (which can affect the flow of data to the buffer and affect the end result) especially if you have an older pc.

as for labels, as others have mentioned I would try and avoid them and use printable surface dvd's and cd's. decent printers that print directly onto the discs can be had for well under $100 now a days.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
you've still not come out of the closet yet have you?
Interesting..........I never been in there before why should i go out of it?
but that's the end of the crap with you, your boring me badly.........
You give my ASS A HEADACHE, you make my teeth itch you really DO!

wont reply to any crap from you no more...you are the d*ckhead of d*ckheads goodbye.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM