Hacking Disc error after case mod

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I modded my friends Wii with a drivekey. It worked perfectly with both purchased and burned games.
Then he decided he wanted a black case, so he wanted me to install that for him too. Got it all together finally and now whatever disc is put in it gives me an error:

QUOTE said:
An error has occurred. Press eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii Console off and refer to the wii operations manual for help troubleshooting

A few things to note:
- I opened it back up to watch what it does and when powered up the disc does not spin at all. Sits for a min then pops up the error.
- When I was doing the case mod the brown cable that connects the dvdrom to the wii motherboard fell off, I noticed it at the end of course and had to take it all apart again to connect it again. I also had to disconnect the white cable with the black tape on it. You can see them here: http://xcm.cc/i.15.jpg
- I had to unhook the drivekey to take everything apart properly. Maybe it wasnt hooked up right the second time?

What should I check first to fix this?

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think it has to do with the disc drive, you need to open up yours and install your drive to see if that fixes it, if not then you need to check all the wires that connects the drive to the motherboard:

if it is the drive, maybe you need to change the board of the drive (or the drive completely if you can find the board alone)

if it's some loose wire then just reattach it and fire away

...!!
smile.gif

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the quick reply

I think its just one of the cables. (i hope) Maybe Its loose, or backwards or something. I just don't know which one. Easier to troubleshoot if I know what one I should be looking at.

Also I noticed that on my wii when i turn it on, the wii slot light will flash, on the casemod wii it doesnt flash. Maybe its not getting the power. [EDIT: Hmm. That cant be right, cuz if it had no power then I woudnt be able to eject disc.]

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
White cables with black tape = Power cables

Brown Connectors = ZIF (Zero-Insertion Force) Connectors.

Both are located on the motherboard and on the DVD drive.

The ZIF (Brown) Connectors are very fragile. The brown connectors exerts alot of force down onto the cables. The main purpose of this connector is to connect the DVD drive to the motherboard. If either ends, or both brown connectors are broken, then you are going to have to fix it otherwise nothing will work. Without the DVD drive connected to the Wii, all official Wii channels and the system menu will display the message:
QUOTE said:
An error has occurred. Press eject button and remove the disc, then turn the Wii Console off and refer to the wii operations manual for help troubleshooting

Your main focus on fixing this problem = Brown Connectors / Make sure the ribbon cables are properly seated and alot of force is exerted on them to be fully connected and will not disconnect while handling/transporting the Wii.

Tape alone will not fix the problem. Best solution is to solder in a new ZIF-connector.

Other users with the same problem:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/520259

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried another dvdrom drive in the CaseMod Wii. I just used the drive. I kept the same cables to see if that was the issue. My drive works ok in the CaseMod wii. It spins right away.

I tried the original drive again and it still doesnt work. If the drivekey chip is disconnected it says "unable to read disc" it doesn't have the "An error has occured.." error.

Does that mean I need a new drive or can I fix it?

ThaDraGun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its something to do with the drive motor.

I was looking at this thread http://wiinewz.com/forums/wii-general-disc...html#post588391

and so I figured I'd try to tighten or loosen the screws in the pic. Of course I couldnt because I didnt have the right tool.. but I think the pressure did something because when I tried it again it tried to spin this time. It was moving VERY slow, barely at all. All other times it didnt move at all.

I flipped it over and loosened the other screws and tightened them again because I couldnt figure out how to take it apart. Now I cant get the disc out. Good thing I put chicken run in there just in case.

How do I manually eject a disc? are there any pics, and is there a tutorial how to take apart the drive?

[EDIT]

Got the disc out, and it will insert/eject discs again. I still cant figure out how to fix the motor so discs spin again.
frown.gif

[--- EDIT 2 ---]

I finally fixed it! I figured out how to open the drive by watching a youtube video. Opened it up and found the tiny square nut that hold the battery cover on. I remember it coming loose, but I couldnt hear it anywhere. Apparently there's a magnet on the motor and the nut was stuck to it right in the centre of the drive. That was stopping it from turning. Took it off and it works again!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1