Disc channel can't read discs after format/update (w/Wiikey)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by lonegreyride, Aug 14, 2009.

1. lonegreyride
    OP

Newcomer lonegreyride Advanced Member

Canada
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help. I've had a Wiikey in my Wii for a couple of years now, and just yesterday, I essentially brought the Wii back to it's original settings. I removed my IOS's above 200, updated to 4.1, and formatted the Wii system memory. I've done this before, and it worked perfectly on 2 Wii's which had no modchips installed in them.
    After doing this however, my disc channel won't read original or backup Wii games. Backup loaders like NeoGamma read everything fine (Wii and GC), so I know the drive works, but obviously NeoGamma is running off IOS249, while the disc channel need IOS60.
    I ran the Wiikey firmware update and config discs (the disc channel did read those) and tried changing disc read speed to 3x, but no change.
    Does anyone have an idea about this? Could it be something to do with IOS60? Or is it just that the Wiikey legacy is so old that it doesn't jive with a 4.1 system? I'm just assuming it has something to do with the chip, since the softmodded wii's I've done it on never had this problem.

The only thing I think I should note, is that when I had a fresh 4.1 system, after setting up the wifi again, I was asked to do an update. I declined at the time, but after seeing that my disc channel didn't work, I went back and tried it... and it did indeed run the full update, even though I was already on 4.1.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. mr deez

Member mr deez GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    My Wiikey works 100% fine on 4.1.

I've not installed any of the softmod stuff/IOS though, no need to.

3. lonegreyride
    OP

Newcomer lonegreyride Advanced Member

Canada
    yeah, i realize i have a bit of a unique problem here... mainly due to the fact that 2 forums and an e-mail to the wiikey support folks garnered absolutely no responses whatsoever.
    And this problem was present before and after softmodding, which I guess I do have a 'need' for, since lasers wear out.