Hacking Disaster is asking me to update all of a sudden

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played it with Disaster: Day Of Crisis just fine with the 0.3 beta, but when trying to load it with MenuPatcher it's forcing me to update. This is a PAL game patched to NTSC with Regionfrii, so I'm afraid to update it as it might apply an update for another region. Should I re-download it and take out the file that forces me to update, and what file would that be that I would need to remove?

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gee, never thought of that one.

I can see a time coming soon when we won't even need a loader at all, everything will run from the disc channel. I'm thinking ahead.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Yep, starfall is the obvious solution. Other than that it's either Gecko OS, the backup launcher (which is based on gecko os) or removing the update and reburning.

I think starfall wins. =]

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. To be honest, I've heard of Starfall several times but never tried it. This is a great application!

I got the skip update to work, and Disaster now loads fine from the disc channel. Unfortunately it doesn't force NTSC when booting from the disc channel, so I'm stuck with a black and white game, but that's for another time. I'm sure there will be a way around that later on down the road. For now I can play it in color with the loader until that time comes.

And the option in Starfall to skip the health warning when powering on is great.
biggrin.gif

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats the point of having to reboot for the game to be launched over the disk channel....why not just use the loader channel...are there any advantages?

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Luriden said:
I'm sure there will be a way around that later on down the road.
I think forsaekn was planning to add a on-the-fly videomode/region change option to his cSM, which will help with that.

The wiibrew page for starfall says videomode patching is planned too, dunno when though.

QUOTEAnd the option in Starfall to skip the health warning when powering on is great.
biggrin.gif
My favourite. =]

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Differences,

backup launcher (actually gecko os) uses it's own apploader, menu patcher doesn't implement any apploader. it doesn't need that actually since the disc channel and the disc inserted handles that already...

Compatibility should be better with same region games provided that custom ios is not buggy... since all the bug's from the apploader side should be eliminated...

That's just my guess work... I didn't test it... Tomorrow I'll get my wii chipped anyway
smile.gif

The worst side of these backup launchers is that the drive is making a lot of noise and running like a grinder... It just spoils the whole experience...

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
WiiCrazy said:
That's just my guess work... I didn't test it... Tomorrow I'll get my wii chipped anyway
smile.gif

The worst side of these backup launchers is that the drive is making a lot of noise and running like a grinder... It just spoils the whole experience...

My wii makes no noise AT ALL, the only time i get a little bit of noises is when i play games from another region, but almost all games i want to play are available in PAL (My wii is PAL), and the little bit of noise i do get from NTSC games doesn't bother me in the least, but i suppose that's an individual thing.

Luriden

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
smile.gif

I can't say I've ever heard my Wii make noises except for when playing Metroid Prime 3, and my copy of Metroid Prime 3 is an original, not a backup. My disc is kinda scratched so that may be the reason for it. It sounds like one of the first models of the Dreamcast.
blink.gif
(hopefully there's someone here who knows what I'm talking about)

deervark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Differences,

backup launcher (actually gecko os) uses it's own apploader, menu patcher doesn't implement any apploader. it doesn't need that actually since the disc channel and the disc inserted handles that already...

Compatibility should be better with same region games provided that custom ios is not buggy... since all the bug's from the apploader side should be eliminated...

smile.gif

I've had had a chipped wii, a virgin wii, and the loader wii, and the disk reading is always noisy. some games are noisier than others. i doubt the noise will subside with a chip. my first gen wii, the one i waited all night outside in the freezing cold on launch day for, was the loudest one. my newer one is the quietest.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Well actually nearly all of my burns are ntsc since my previous wii was ntsc but I never saw them make any noises back then... only SSBB which is dvd5 made a lot of noise previously and that's so for everyone...

My current wii's system menu is pal but I don't think it's relevant regarding the noises... and burns are 4x generally.. though that may be relevant because of the slow read speed of the backup launchers...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte