Hardware Disappointing speed with a class 10 sd card

RaMon90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ive posted in another topic but i thought it was better to post a separate topic.
Ok so i have a cia file that is 55mb, it installs in around 46 seconds on my sandisk ultra 32gb class 10 48mb/s.
On my 4gb sd card the file installs in 1 min because lets say its lagging and its waating few seconds.

Its a 14 seconds improvement, is it normal the speed ? I'm tbh disappointed as it says 48 mb/s speed.
Also the emunand loads in exactly 7 seconds
Possible problems:
- bad sd adapter?
- or there's a problem with the sd card
- or class 10 doesnt work with the o3ds

Lastly i want to say that its a cheap genuine sd card, I cant be mad if the speed of the sd card is like that, after all i needed much more space.
I was just curious of what could be the problem.

Last edited by RaMon90, , Reason: some mistakes

RaMon90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Aha thanks for the reply, I've learned something. Still that doesnt mean my sd card is fast, the emunand loads after 7 seconds. I've read everywhere that sd card class 10 would've speed up the boot. Oh and once the emunand didnt load at all.

RaMon90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Most Class 10 cards have the same read speeds as Class 2 and 4 cards. It's just the write speeds that improve with the class.
Ok so the writing speed is 48mb/s, I've tried to paste nearly 1gb from laptop and writing speed was like 12mb/s and it dropped a lot sometimes it was 300kb/s for a few seconds.
I believe my sd card is defective or something, I dont think of replacing, lazy to walk 3 km to the store again.

Edit: some news.
I have tested with h2testw and the reading speed is 33mb, writing speed is 12mb.
Well yeah, it isnt good enough. Probably if you want the best sd card you have to pay a lot.
Anyways this doesnt affect games fps, not bad having 27gb free space for around 12 euros.

Last edited by RaMon90,

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok so the writing speed is 48mb/s, I've tried to paste nearly 1gb from laptop and writing speed was like 12mb/s and it dropped a lot sometimes it was 300kb/s for a few seconds.
I believe my sd card is defective or something, I dont think of replacing, lazy to walk 3 km to the store again.

Edit: some news.
I have tested with h2testw and the reading speed is 33mb, writing speed is 12mb.
Well yeah, it isnt good enough. Probably if you want the best sd card you have to pay a lot.
Anyways this doesnt affect games fps, not bad having 27gb free space for around 12 euros.
Did the ad actually say it was 48mbps, or are you just assuming that because it is class 10? The higher class means it could theoretically reach 48mbps.

RaMon90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Did the ad actually say it was 48mbps, or are you just assuming that because it is class 10? The higher class means it could theoretically reach 48mbps.
I actually dont care if the sd card doesnt reach 48mb/s like in the ad, just 15mb missing. I thought maybe it would speed up the boot of rxtools but it seems like its a bit worse than my other 4gb lexnar card, like i said once emunand didnt load, there's something wrong and i dont remember 7 seconds boot on the 4gb card.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Here is a reliable brand with a very good read speed. The write speed is actually a little lower than your current one, but that isn't a big deal since it has very little effect on the actual performance of an emunand. You'd just see a hit on things like CIA installs. At 19 euro, it doesn't cost that much more than the cheap one you have.

If you feel like going all out, this would be the one to get. It's got 3 times the read speed as your current one, and 8 times the write speed. The price is significantly higher though.

BringusStudios

Trophies
Website
bringus.studio
XP
Country
United States
Did you mention if it was an off-brand or no brand card? I try to stay away from those. SanDisk, Samsung, and Kingston are pretty much the only brands I would trust with 10/10 confidence.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
This is the one i own http://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B00M55...qid=1443875397&sr=1-14&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Maybe i made a mistake not buying the one you posted, its a real sd card and not a micro sd with adapter like mine.
I'm gonna order it next month then and use this microsd for my smartphone.
You have a good brand, and I don't see why the adapter would have any noticeable negative effect on the performance. You should see some performance improvement with the other ones I listed.
Did you mention if it was an off-brand or no brand card? I try to stay away from those. SanDisk, Samsung, and Kingston are pretty much the only brands I would trust with 10/10 confidence.
A little off topic, but never get a Kingston (or PNY) solid state drive. About a year ago they started using asynchronous NAND, but not telling customers, which is a huge performance hit.

BringusStudios

Trophies
Website
bringus.studio
XP
Country
United States
You have a good brand, and I don't see why the adapter would have any noticeable negative effect on the performance. You should see some performance improvement with the other ones I listed.
A little off topic, but never get a Kingston (or PNY) solid state drive. About a year ago they started using asynchronous NAND, but not telling customers, which is a huge performance hit.
Wow... Another reason to stay off the SSD hype train until it's as cheap as ODDs!

RaMon90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not trying to say sandisk is bad but somehow it doesnt want to speed up my emunand and icons load after 2/3. Possible reasons, microsd with adapter dont work well. Even though reading posts on other websites they tell it makes no difference between mine and the real sd card.
Im gonna post later the result of a real sd card brand sandisk made for cameras and other devices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho