Disadvantages of Pasta Cfw

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bytar, Jan 5, 2016.

1. bytar
    OP

bytar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Morocco
    First of all, I am so stupid and lazy to understand and build a proper cfw and emunand on my 9.2 2ds. So Pasta Cfw and BigBlueBox with Ninjhax are lifesaver to me.

But i read about some disadvantages of using sysnand instead of emunand. Using sysnand may brick the console, as you know. But downloading cias to sd card doesn't brick it. What is the difference of them? How can i download cias to sysnand or sd card?

I just downloaded a cia which is cryptofixed and translated Fire Emblem IF game. It works flawlessly. Can i download dlc on BigBlueBox without any possibility of brick? And what kind of cias can i download? What does brick my console and doesn't? Can i download games which need over 9.2 fw? Thanks.

2. bytar
    OP

bytar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Morocco
    Thay say about using Pasta Cfw may cause problems if "stupid things" happens. What are the stupid things about? Please tell me the stupid things cause problems with Pasta Cfw. Someone help this noob, please! :cry:

3. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    There's a lot of benefits to using emuNAND. First, if you screw anything up bad, there is a greater chance of recovery because the emuNAND is like a "backup" copy of your NAND. Second, you can upgrade emuNAND to the latest firmware without touching your sysNAND. If you're installing cia files to your sysNAND, theres always a small chance of a brick if you install a bad file. Just set up emuNAND and use rxTools to boot the emuNAND. Leave the sysNAND untouched.

imthe666st and jscjml like this.
  4. bytar
    OP

bytar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Morocco
    i tried to set up rxTools and emunand, i did everything on the tutorial but somehow rxTools didn't work. Yesterday, I worked on it for hours but i and my brain can't stand it anymore. What is a bad file? How can i brick the console?

5. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    It is worth the effort to set up emuNAND. A bad file could be anything. If it modifies or deletes a system .cia file, then you could easily brick your console. Play it safe, and leave the sysNAND untouched.

6. bytar
    OP

bytar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Morocco
    Could be anything? Something for example? What bricks, what doesn't brick? I don't understand how a game modifies or deletes a system cia file. I am sure it worths the effort but i give up unless i find an extremly noob, brainless friendly tutorial.

7. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    I can't give you a concrete example of a cia file that would brick your 3DS. But, the internet is full of downloads, you just have to be careful what you install. There are very noob friendly guides on this site that should get you set up with an emuNAND. All I'm saying is, it is worth the time and effort to learn how to set up emuNAND and rxTools. If you don't care about the very small possibility of bricking your 3DS, then by all means, install cia files to your sysNAND.

bytar and Scarlet like this.
  8. raibot

raibot Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2014
    United States
    Rather than ask about the disadvantages of installing cias to sysnand i think you should try asking about the step where you are stuck in the tutorial or guide to setup emunand. The process doesn't take more than 30 mins total if you know what to do

9. bytar
    OP

bytar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Morocco
    I didn't stuck anywhere. I did everything, i set up emunand too. I did a back up of nand. But rxTools didn't work, neither on browser, nor with Ninjhax.

10. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    Maybe you should figure out how to fix rxTools using the threads already available instead of completely giving up on emuNAND.

11. naddel81

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
  12. bytar
    OP

bytar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    Morocco
    Thank you guys. I will try it again. :bow: