Hacking Disadvantages of 4.0 compared to 3.2?

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
System Menu 4.0 is out for some time now and I'm still on 3.2E, but now thinking of updating to 4.0. All you GBAtempers who updated to 4.0, did you regret it or not? Are there any disadvantages compared to 3.2?

I also read that for updating to 4.0, we can use the newly released Firmware Downgrader 1.11. Does that install IOS60 trucha-signed, or do we have to install that before?

Thanks for your answers
smile.gif

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a modchip, so I have no experience with many of the hacks people normally install to blay backup DVDs. However, it's been nothing but positive for me.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
None, as long as you upgrade properly[make sure you have a CIOS], and are not starting with a new/virgin Wii on 4.0, as like said previously, there's no Twilight Hack or substitute yet.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So long as you are sure to update the system menu using the homebrew updaters and not the wii opdate option in the settings menu 4.0 is a great version to use.

ekolimits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
umm... none,
you can do everything on 4.0 that you did on 3.2

go ahead, upgrade... but be careful to follow the steps correctly!!!!
if not, you will regret it!

Patryc

Trophies
XP
Country
Region free disc loading seems to disappear with 4.0. (on PAL)(CiosCorp) Works almost 100% with 3.2. Upgraded then downgraded again as I didn't seem to find much advantage with it.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SpaceJump said:
System Menu 4.0 is out for some time now and I'm still on 3.2E, but now thinking of updating to 4.0. All you GBAtempers who updated to 4.0, did you regret it or not? Are there any disadvantages compared to 3.2?

I also read that for updating to 4.0, we can use the newly released Firmware Downgrader 1.11. Does that install IOS60 trucha-signed, or do we have to install that before?

Thanks for your answers
smile.gif

No disadvantages. Make sure you've got a cIOS and HBC installed, and use Waninkoko's updater, not the Nintendo Update (it won't mess with your old IOSes like Nintendo's does). Also, remember to patch IOS60 in order to play WADS not purchased through the Shop Channel via SD card.

This is a good guide (it's what I used... worked like a charm):

http://www.yafaze.com/wii/4.0updateguide.html

Use "Method 2". I'm assuming you've been keeping up with the latest IOSes for newer games, since you've managed to stay on 3.2 thus far. If not, you'll need to grab 'em somewhere.... unfortunately, I can't tell you which ones right off the top of my head. Shouldn't be hard for you to find though.

Alternately, this guide is very good too:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144835

The only real difference is that the first guide uses a different method for IOS60.... same result (has you d/l it instead of patching it).

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What about using the new Firmware Downgrader 1.11 to update to 4.0? Does this work? Does it patch IOS60 in the process (this isn't mentioned anywhere)?

Prince Valmont

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of compatibility, I installed the CIOSCORP on my 4.0 using one of the guides, and for the most part, it works, but games like Guitar Hero III & Endless Ocean will not load properly. They all give me errors upon hitting the Start button from the Wii Menu.

Is there something that I can install, whether an IOS or cIOS that can fix my compatibility for CIOSCORP? How about something to allow me to load/play PAL games on my NTSC console? Those are the two main things I miss from my 3.2.

Does anyone have any solutions?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I upgraded through Nintendo just fine: I installed CIOS 36 v9 and then ran IOS downgrader to get all the trucha bugged IOSes back[after updating]. Worked fine for me.

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still haven't taken the 4.0 plunge, but I am about to since I want to have more space for my game saves.
smile.gif

I used WIISCU 0.2 to update IOS51, IOS60 and IOS61 with Trucha signing included. I also used it to update my News, Weather, Mii, Photo and Wii Shop channels.

Since I did all that and have the latest cIOS36 rev, would I just have to run either Waninkoko's Firmware 4.0 Updater or his latest Firmware Downgrader? (Yes I know downgrading should update something, but people keep saying you can use it to upgrade from 3.2)

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
TheWiiNinja said:
There really isn't any disadvantage to 4.0 that I can think of besides the fact that there is no exploit.

Yeah, I thought there were other problems, but not anymore.

*EDIT*
Other problems were nothing to do with this.

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
As there are no exploit anymore, I won't upgrade. It happen only once on my wii when I was on 3.3v1, but the Homebrew channel stopped working properly. it started, but I wasn't able to launch anything : the loading bar filled, but nothing happened, whatever the homebrew.
I had to install it again using ZeldaTP hack, and everything was OK again.
If this happen to me while in 4.0, there wouldn't be any solution...

raptir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
One downside not posted is that some saves can't be copied again.
Remove copy flag in gecko aint 100% anymore.

The preloader hack still seems to work, at least for every game that I've tried.

Does anyone know if the Firmware Downgrader keeps the Trucha bug in tact like the Firmware 4.0 Upgrader that Waninkoko wrote?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a